Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday June 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
srech77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499858
Default Turbo-Diesel EE20 into 2018 Crosstrek??

Hey all -- new to the forum ... without adding a bunch of background and personal details, I'm hoping a local expert on the forum might be able to either support and/or deter me from considering a swap like this?

I've seen the build thread with the older (I think '07) Subaru that gets a diesel swap, but this is different for many reasons. I have an ebay link here with a JDM engine/tranny/etc. that has been imported into the U.S. This is just an example engine, but ideally I would be considering something newer like this.

So aside from the obvious aspects of things like RH drive vs. LH drive vehicle orientation, replacing the fuel system with a diesel system, etc... is this actual doable, or is this basically insane, and I should move on to something else? My 2018 Crosstrek has the 6-speed manual, and the 2.0 boxer gas engine. Please let me know if you need other details ... and please try and keep harsh comments to a minimum, I'm just asking. Thanks -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-TURB...frcectupt=true
srech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488145
Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

I'm far from an expert on the diesel side of things or the newer models, but I don't see any glaring reason why it wouldn't be possible.

Especially if you sourced an engine from the same year/chassis that your Crosstrek is. You might be able to get an ECU/Harness and other bits to basically build a European/ JDM model here in the US.

LHD vs. RHD for the motor should not be an issue.

Depending on where you live the emission testing can be a thing, and resale would be interesting, but not all bad, people buy/build/sell all kinds of nonsense.

It would be expensive, and also really cool. If that fits your goals/resources then I don't see why not.
Mreed6360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
srech77
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreed6360 View Post
I'm far from an expert on the diesel side of things or the newer models, but I don't see any glaring reason why it wouldn't be possible.

Especially if you sourced an engine from the same year/chassis that your Crosstrek is. You might be able to get an ECU/Harness and other bits to basically build a European/ JDM model here in the US.

LHD vs. RHD for the motor should not be an issue.

Depending on where you live the emission testing can be a thing, and resale would be interesting, but not all bad, people buy/build/sell all kinds of nonsense.

It would be expensive, and also really cool. If that fits your goals/resources then I don't see why not.

Hey Mreed - thanks for your reply. I agree on those fronts. And donít get me wrong, Iím not even that close to sold on the idea and I donít exactly have an extra $5-7k lying around just to try and double the torque of my Crosstrek. I do believe the TD engine, like most diesels, is probably built to last longer and withstand more abuse than the gas varieties, but nonetheless is definitely isnít cheap. But I agree it would be pretty cool.

In my mind the benefit of one of these JDM engine/tranny combos is that is looks like it comes with most of the major components you would need to get the job done, including the ecu and harness, and the drivetrain would likely plop right in in place of the gas 2.0 thatís currently installed. Although I donít know for certain what the engine mounts look like on the TD or what kind of oil pan clearance, etc. it has... but they look pretty similar.

Maybe if I could just get the motor, ecu, and harness, and retain my factory 6-speed manual, I could find one at a reduced cost ... idk. Probably just a pipe dreams ...

I was just seeing if someone out there had some kind ďno way itís possible because of X, Y, and Z...Ē type of thing. Iím not really worried about emissions. Iím in Montana and so far itís not something we have to contend with, although with the writing on the wall Iím sure itís just a matter of time.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488145
Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Glad to throw my two cents in!

A less difficult proposition may be to swap a Turbo FA20 in from a newer WRX. It's the most likely to be plug and play and offer and easy swap with good horsepower and torque output.

It wouldn't be the amazing torque filled unicorn that the diesel swap would be, but it would offer about 268 HP and 258 Ftlbs which would still be a substantial increase over the FB20 making 154 HP and 145 Ftlbs.

Still not cheap to come by, but maybe you could buyback a totaled WRX from an insurance company, scavenge what you need from that wreck, and part out the rest to help recoup your investment?

The Crosstrek is a cool body/chassis, it would be neat to see one that was fast too.

Good luck on your plans/dreams, and if you decide to take the plunge let us know, it would be cool to see how it works out.
Mreed6360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
srech77
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreed6360 View Post
Glad to throw my two cents in!

A less difficult proposition may be to swap a Turbo FA20 in from a newer WRX. It's the most likely to be plug and play and offer and easy swap with good horsepower and torque output.

It wouldn't be the amazing torque filled unicorn that the diesel swap would be, but it would offer about 268 HP and 258 Ftlbs which would still be a substantial increase over the FB20 making 154 HP and 145 Ftlbs.

Still not cheap to come by, but maybe you could buyback a totaled WRX from an insurance company, scavenge what you need from that wreck, and part out the rest to help recoup your investment?

The Crosstrek is a cool body/chassis, it would be neat to see one that was fast too.

Good luck on your plans/dreams, and if you decide to take the plunge let us know, it would be cool to see how it works out.

I thought of that as well... the TD swap would be a bit more unique, but the turbo FB20 would undoubtedly be a bit simpler and would make for a fun vehicle.

Either way, Iíll surely post a thread if anything gets underway. I appreciate the input. Cheers -