Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
FixxerAutomotive
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498142
Have a Nice Day? 2011 WRX EJ25 to JDM EJ20 swap help!

Hello,
So I have this beautiful 2011 WRX in the shop for an engine replacement. The owner ran it out of oil on a trip from Salt Lake City to Boise :P THe car was still running okay when i drove it into the shop for the swap- no misfires- smooth idle, had a weird intermittent clack every so ofter.
So anyways, we purchased a JDM EJ20 WRX engine for the swap. I swapped the intake, exhaust manifold, turbo, and accessories over. The 2.5 was a AVCS motor and the 2.0 is a dual AVCS motor. So after much debate, i decided that I would just leave the exhaust cam phasers assuming that they would just stay parked with he solenoids disconnected...
The engine started pretty rough with a misfire. It sounds like it is only running on 2 cyl and idling at about 100RPM (Pretty crazy that it can stay running that low) If i let it run for a minute, the RPM picks up and it feels like it is running on 3cyl. still shaking with a missfire. If i bring the RPM up to 2000 everything is smooth but if i goose the throttle, it stumbles. If i drop the throttle, the RPM will drop down to 100 and it will do the 2cyl idle for a while.
I quadruple checked all of the vacuum lines and hoses, compression test was 130 135 135 125. Unplugged the MAF- same thing, Checked all of the plugs (NGK IR's) All looked good and checked the gaps .0030. The wideband O2 sensor reports a A/F ratio between 14.5 and 15.5. Vacuum is steady at ~-12. As far as codes go- I have a code for the secondary air valve and another for the bank 2 tumbler sensor open. Im not getting any misfire codes.
I was hoping maybe you guys could help me figure out where i went wrong here. Maybe something to do with the AVCS?
Thanks in advance
FixxerAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
FixxerAutomotive
Scooby Newbie

Yay! I got it to run right! So i cleaned the main wiring harness connector and added dielectric grease. Then i cleared all of the codes and OBD memory. Started up, ran smooth, and had good throttle response I will post back after i take it for a drive tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
emericareaper2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Hi, I also have a stock 11 WRX I picked up. The engine decided to let go & I've had no luck finding a a replacement. Looking to just replace the engine. I found several JDM EJ20x's. Was this swap fairly straightforward? Did you use the USDM ecu or JDM?
emericareaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
FixxerAutomotive
Scooby Newbie

Ok, so the car runs great! Did several pulls up to 60MPH and it pulls like a raped ape So, based on my experience; if you buy a JDM motor that comes with dual AVCS, you can install the engine as-is without messing with the timing components. Just leave the exhaust cam sensors and solenoids disconnected. Good to go!
Some things i learned in this swap- make sure you do a compression test on the engine before you mess with anything. That way you know what you have and your not stuck doing it later in the car (If problems arrive), which is a bit difficult. I think it is also a good idea to inspect the spark plugs and add some anti-seize and dielectric. I would also suggest either deleting the secondary air system or replacing the air valves with new ones while you have the intake off. You will need to swap over the upper and lower intake/fuel lines/fuel injectors/AVCS solenoids/turbo/exhaust manifolds/crank balancer/power steering pump/ A/C compressor. My JDM came with a A/C belt tensioner which i also swapped over to get rid of the crappy stretch belt. You can carefully bend the JDM turbo oil line to hook up to the USDM turbo (I kept the short oil line from the USDM turbo and was able to just bend the JDM line a bit to fit up. Also, dont forget to hook up a scan tool and clear the OBD memory and trouble codes before your initial start-up. Thats all there is to it. I hope someone else can benefit from this in the future.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
FixxerAutomotive
Scooby Newbie

You can use the USDM ECU as-is. Also, i suggest pulling the intake as one piece- take the bolts out of the injector housings(lower intake manifolds) and pull the fuel lines, injectors, raw air tube, and wiring harness (You will be re-using your wiring harness) all together- much easier IMO.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Apexthegod
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500659

Hey my friend so i have the same thing as you but : i have a wrx 2008 with a 2.0 motor swap but with the 2.5 ecu and accessories on top of the motor but the secondary air injection system is disconnected : should i ask a tuner for a custom tune or its allright like this ? Its running allright but maybe there is a timing problem or something ?? thanks
Apexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
FixxerAutomotive
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that secondary air system. The correct way to delete the system is to block off the valves and tune the related codes out in the ECU. As long as the valves are closed and disabled (Fuses and relays removed) all should be fine. What you don't want is a corroded valve trying to open and getting stuck half way. This will create a boost leak and the car will not run well. So just make sure that the valves are closed and not getting any power. If you want the engine light to go off and, if you want to use your cruise control again, you will need to have the ECU tuned.
Good luck!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
dcmoore817
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 392871

thank you for the details, considering doing the same to mine
dcmoore817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
1tool1478
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431314
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI
BLK

Default Help please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxerAutomotive View Post
Hello,
So I have this beautiful 2011 WRX in the shop for an engine replacement. The owner ran it out of oil on a trip from Salt Lake City to Boise :P THe car was still running okay when i drove it into the shop for the swap- no misfires- smooth idle, had a weird intermittent clack every so ofter.
So anyways, we purchased a JDM EJ20 WRX engine for the swap. I swapped the intake, exhaust manifold, turbo, and accessories over. The 2.5 was a AVCS motor and the 2.0 is a dual AVCS motor. So after much debate, i decided that I would just leave the exhaust cam phasers assuming that they would just stay parked with he solenoids disconnected...
The engine started pretty rough with a misfire. It sounds like it is only running on 2 cyl and idling at about 100RPM (Pretty crazy that it can stay running that low) If i let it run for a minute, the RPM picks up and it feels like it is running on 3cyl. still shaking with a missfire. If i bring the RPM up to 2000 everything is smooth but if i goose the throttle, it stumbles. If i drop the throttle, the RPM will drop down to 100 and it will do the 2cyl idle for a while.
I quadruple checked all of the vacuum lines and hoses, compression test was 130 135 135 125. Unplugged the MAF- same thing, Checked all of the plugs (NGK IR's) All looked good and checked the gaps .0030. The wideband O2 sensor reports a A/F ratio between 14.5 and 15.5. Vacuum is steady at ~-12. As far as codes go- I have a code for the secondary air valve and another for the bank 2 tumbler sensor open. Im not getting any misfire codes.
I was hoping maybe you guys could help me figure out where i went wrong here. Maybe something to do with the AVCS?
Thanks in advance

Hey fixxer so your saying you were able to swap a dual AVCS JDM motor into you wrx with no issues ? while retaining USDM ECU Im getting a lot of mixed info from supposed pros sounds like you got it down. I have to get my car running and cant get any solid info ill post a message i got from some one if you want to see what they said about this.

thanks in advance

Jason
1tool1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Leigh2011STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 502810
Vehicle:
2011 STI
Pearl white

I was told this wasn’t even possible to do as I blew my 2011 sti motor and was looking to save money on a replacement. Wish I saw this before I dropped 8 grand!
Leigh2011STI is offline   Reply With Quote