Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday June 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #851
*Ulimited*
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139249
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default

Definitely need some more seat time in the car, the event the video was from I was 1.6 seconds off PJ in the panda the event after that I was 2.5 seconds off him.So I still have a ways to go.

Is the quick rack legal in SM? I thought you couldn't replace the steering column.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
*Ulimited* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #852
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

You cant replace the steering column inside the passenger compartment. Everything outside is free game
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #853
speedyHAM
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48377
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: "They eat fish soaked in lye"
Vehicle:
1996 Gutted, built
XP class Impreza L

Default

Q-rack is legal and very much worth the $$$ for an SM car, or any other subaru that isn't rule bound against it.


If you do install one, careful your first time out. I almost put my GC in a ditch the first hard corner I took after installing a 10.5:1 Q-rack.
speedyHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #854
em99sport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172670
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: RTP, NC
Vehicle:
2011 STI 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyHAM View Post
Q-rack is legal and very much worth the $$$ for an SM car, or any other subaru that isn't rule bound against it.

If you do install one, careful your first time out. I almost put my GC in a ditch the first hard corner I took after installing a 10.5:1 Q-rack.
Um, yeah. Q-rack with R-comps made for an interesting fun run for a guy used to a GR STI rack on street tires.
em99sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #855
Zefy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105104
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
1979 BRAT / 01 RSTI
99 2.5TS (DEAD)

Default

I love my q-rack with r-comps. Such a worthwhile upgrade.
Zefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #856
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99sport View Post
Um, yeah. Q-rack with R-comps made for an interesting fun run for a guy used to a GR STI rack on street tires.
Imagine spending a year in an FSP Rabbit where the way to go through a slalom is to violently jerk at the wheel and then going to a SM Subaru with a Q-Rack on (admittedly worn) hoosiers
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #857
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Imagine spending a year in an FSP Rabbit where the way to go through a slalom is to violently jerk at the wheel and then going to a SM Subaru with a Q-Rack on (admittedly worn) hoosiers
At least you dont have to go hand over hand in slaloms like I have to with the manual rack in the miata. I cant wait till I have the power steering in it for next year.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #858
em99sport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172670
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: RTP, NC
Vehicle:
2011 STI 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
At least you dont have to go hand over hand in slaloms like I have to with the manual rack in the miata. I cant wait till I have the power steering in it for next year.
I'm sure it's much more challenging with a lot of power, but I actually like manual steering at STS power levels.
em99sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #859
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99sport View Post
I'm sure it's much more challenging with a lot of power, but I actually like manual steering at STS power levels.
With 275's and downforce my slalom speed is limited by how fast I can rip the wheel back and forth. Its pretty stupid, if I really try to push a slalom now I'll get late because I literally wont be able to move my arms fast enough.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #860
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
With 275's and downforce my slalom speed is limited by how fast I can rip the wheel back and forth. Its pretty stupid, if I really try to push a slalom now I'll get late because I literally wont be able to move my arms fast enough.
Work out more
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #861
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Work out more
Lol, you should see the people who arent jacked try to drive it.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #862
em99sport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172670
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: RTP, NC
Vehicle:
2011 STI 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
With 275's and downforce my slalom speed is limited by how fast I can rip the wheel back and forth. Its pretty stupid, if I really try to push a slalom now I'll get late because I literally wont be able to move my arms fast enough.
I can imagine. I was on 195 R1Rs, so no comparison there.

I remember all the CSP guys on m.net recommending power steering for 275 A6s when I was considering a manual rack for my '99. Despite their almost unanimous hatred for manual steering, I still bought the rack...
em99sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #863
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99sport View Post
I can imagine. I was on 195 R1Rs, so no comparison there.

I remember all the CSP guys on m.net recommending power steering for 275 A6s when I was considering a manual rack for my '99. Despite their almost unanimous hatred for manual steering, I still bought the rack...
Speaking of steering, I've been slowly flushing my PS with some synthetic ATF like the FSM suggests and it IS getting better. The last event really didn't have a lot of back and forth bits to test it with, so we'll have to wait and see if that solves the issue.

If it doesn't, EPS might be in my future. Q-Rack + 295's (or 315's) that suddenly cuts out on you in a slalom = super stiff steering.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #864
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Yeah, EHPS is going in my car. I'm just trying to figure out the right pump to run. The MRS is tried and true, and impossible to find now because its tried and true and everyone bought them all.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #865
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yeah, EHPS is going in my car. I'm just trying to figure out the right pump to run. The MRS is tried and true, and impossible to find now because its tried and true and everyone bought them all.
Noob thought, but is it possible to just find another hydraulic pump that runs off 12v and put it in the car? I know you'd have to get the output PSI right and all, but it's just a pump.

And I just searched for some...seems like the cost is still in the $300-$400 range for places that have pictures. There is this kind of stuff where it's $155 but has a generic image: http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1...FdJj7AodwhEAdw. Just thinking out loud.

Found some Ebay units:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-S...p2054897.l4276

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-J...p2054897.l4275

Last edited by subydude; 11-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #866
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

There's plenty of cars with them, but some are CAN controlled, some just have 2 power wires, some have built in computers. The MR-2 pump is the 2nd most popular in the usa, but there's a ton of other random options from europe.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #867
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
There's plenty of cars with them, but some are CAN controlled, some just have 2 power wires, some have built in computers. The MR-2 pump is the 2nd most popular in the usa, but there's a ton of other random options from europe.
I've noticed the euro options. I imagine the current hybrid market might also have some if they aren't doing the integrated rack designs. The MR2 just seems like the easy button since others have already figured out the wiring. The 5 minutes I spent reading seemed to say "plug the VSS in here, do some other general stuff, and here's the results".
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #868
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

MR2 or MRS? MRS is figured out, but they come up used once every few months for $350 or $580 for a new one.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #869
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
MR2 or MRS? MRS is figured out, but they come up used once every few months for $350 or $580 for a new one.
The one I read was for the MRS I believe since it had the integrated reservoir. However, I skimmed another thread with the non-integrated pump from the earlier model that had what looked to be some wiring diagrams. I noticed the earlier model had an ECU that went with it as well, but no clue beyond that.

Still, even with those types of controls, a pump's a pump. Find the wire that turns it on, then if you don't want to run full bore all the time build an arduino that would vary imput based on your VSS or TPS.

What was it you once told me? If you didn't build it yourself, you weren't trying hard enough
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #870
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Yes yes. Its still hard to figure out what to search for in junk yards and on ebay for what cars have electric PS pumps.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #871
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yes yes. Its still hard to figure out what to search for in junk yards and on ebay for what cars have electric PS pumps.
Looking at it, any of the 2nd or 3rd gen MR2s had EHPS. I haven't researched more. If it were me I'd get a 2nd gen and adapt it to fit the OE reservoir/cooler. Older generally means more simple to control as well.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #872
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

The 3rd gen mr2 is the mrs. The 3rd gen has the computer integrated so it does things like idle down with no load and **** The 2nd gen has the computer external. It too, is expensive, like over $250, but easier to get. There is a selection of mazda pumps to which also come up cheaper, mainly because the electrical connectors get cracked when the cars get in front end accidents, so you can get one with a cracked connector cheap on ebay most days.

If my stupid rule request that would let us modify the steering column inside the passenger compartment had gone through we'd all just be running the GM system for 100 bucks including the custom controller.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #873
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
The 3rd gen mr2 is the mrs. The 3rd gen has the computer integrated so it does things like idle down with no load and **** The 2nd gen has the computer external. It too, is expensive, like over $250, but easier to get. There is a selection of mazda pumps to which also come up cheaper, mainly because the electrical connectors get cracked when the cars get in front end accidents, so you can get one with a cracked connector cheap on ebay most days.

If my stupid rule request that would let us modify the steering column inside the passenger compartment had gone through we'd all just be running the GM system for 100 bucks including the custom controller.
Yes, well, if my stupid rule request had gone through to modify the bumper beam I'd be running a low mount turbo and FMIC as well. It seems that there isn't much in the way of new rule allowances coming down the pipe these days.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #874
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Yeah but my stupid rule request made everything cheaper.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #875
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
What's A Head Gasket?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yeah but my stupid rule request made everything cheaper.
Gotta keep that barrier to entry alive and well or else people won't have as much to bitch about
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will my trans swap put me automatically in Street Mod? RebelINS Autocross 6 07-22-2013 05:24 PM
I'm still legal for Street Mod right?(list inside) Davenow Motorsports 4 05-24-2003 03:21 AM
street mod tire question Jaxx Motorsports 2 02-20-2003 07:59 PM
Autocross class... Street Mod? Motohead1 South East Region Forum 11 06-26-2001 10:11 AM
Street Mod news Eric Technical Forum Archive 5 05-31-2000 02:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.