Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 25, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
gsla72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224573
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default GC Swap Help

I've been dealing with the swap from hell for the better part of two years now and I need some help. The car is a 96 Brighton coupe with an 03 WRX engine/engine harness and an 06 6-speed with DCCD.

The merge was performed by a reputable vendor, however I requested some unusual add-ons as part of it. A member sold me a "custom" gauge cluster comprised of a few different JDM/UKDM/USDM parts to build a best of all worlds gauge setup for an early dash GC. I have since swapped all of this back out to stock to rule it out.

Long story short, the vendor has looked at the harness twice now and can't seem to figure out exactly what's wrong with it. I've installed a new upper dash harness from a different car to rule that out and still have issues. I've also tried multiple gauge clusters as well (all stock). I've also thrown a different FPC at it just to make sure that's not the issue as well.

Currently, the issues are:
- Cluster does not work properly. The oil pressure light stays on all the time unless the battery is disconnected. When I insert the key into the column, the check engine light comes on and stays on. The key in ignition buzzer does not work at all.
- The tachometer does not work at all.
-The temp sensor pegs to hot immediately upon turning the key and fluctuates up and down if you turn on the hazards.
- Turn signals do not show up on the cluster indicators.
- Brights do not work when you flip the stalk back, only when you hold the stalk forward. Similarly, they do not show on the cluster and cause any indicator lights to dim. About half the time the battery light comes on when you try to activate the brights.

- The OBDII port has power when the key is out and the car is off. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.
- The OBDII port does not have power when the key is switched to "ON", but has power in the "ON" position once the car is cranked/started

Apologies for the wall of text, but I'm at the end of my rope. I've dumped a ton of time and money into this car and it seems like it's never going to actually work properly. I'm open to any and all ideas at this point.
gsla72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
O2WRXWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344116

Hey so I'm not a professional, but I had some funky issues when I did my swap. So keep that in mind. If I were you I'd start with being absolutely certain all of the wires have continuity. From there double and triple check your grounds, and finally make sure that all of the connectors are connected. I know this all sounds simple and hopefully you've already done it all. This was my issue, I ultimately had the SJM not completely secured and that was a root of a lot of my problems. Again I'm not a professional but if the wires aren't continuous then you'll have problems, if the grounds are clean and secure you'll have problems, if everything isn't connected you'll have problems. I hope this helps!
O2WRXWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Mintyy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 430012

I know how you feel when it comes to being in swap hell. I was in the same boat for a while in my 00 GC with a Ver.5 drivetrain swap. The fact that you've ruled out so many trivial soltions points in the dirtection of harness issues IMO. Especilly since the OBDII port is acting strangly. I had my harness made by iWire, and never expereinced anything like this.
Mintyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
gsla72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224573
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Bumping this up - 2 steps forward, at least as many back. Some of the gauge issues are fixed (I had the cluster plugs backwards), but the car is back to doing the same thing it was before i swapped a stock upper dash harness in:

- Check engine light never comes on (not while running or with key in the run position) - I've swapped known working bulbs into the cluster to rule that out.
- Fuel pump will only prime if I unplug the right hand side cluster harness pigtail
- Car runs fine with this unplugged, but obviously no gauges work.
- The high beams won't stay on if I push the switch back (may just be the switch, but thought it was worth mentioning)
- The rear defogger always comes on when starting the car (may be the switch), and with the right hand side gauge cluster harness unplugged the indicator light glows dimly (backfeeding power?)

I'm thinking I have a grounding issue or a bad ECM. Possibly something with an o2 sensor? Any guesses?

I'll go back through and triple check all the connectors - I just verified the F60 plug (brown harness) into the engine bay. It looks like the pin for position #15 (yellow wire) is missing - is this position blank from the factory? I went ahead and bridged them together using wire taps just to rule that out and am still having the same issues, so I'll put it back to where it was prior to the taps.
gsla72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
O2WRXWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344116
Default GC Swap Help

Are you getting power at your ecu? Put the key in the on position and then prob the back of the plugs while they are plugged in to make sure you are good there. Do you know how to check grounds? Get a probe light, a good one, and hook it to power and touch the probe to the ground you want to check. If it's a good ground the bulb would be bright if the ground sucks, then the bulb would be dimmer. You could do the same for checking power. Hook it up to a ground and then check where you should have power. The same results would follow for the power test. Checking all of the basics can help you narrow down where you are having issues. If you have a friend near by with a similar issue then try swapping ecms

Edit: I meant to say a friend with a good ecm
O2WRXWagon is offline   Reply With Quote