Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501410
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default Newbie Philly! Blown engine to Rallispec 347WHP rescue...

A VERY unique intro to WRX community...

Purchased a bone stock 2013 WRB Hatchback w/83K miles in fall of 2018...the engine blew immediately. That time period was so stressful personally, I was barely mad when it happened. Things were in the ultimate *perspective* for many reasons...It was a 1st world problem, I still had a car to drive even. I'm lucky.

Truth be told, I didn't even know what a shortblock was at the time, judge away it's okay, but then I let my obsessive hobby interest personality take over? and I researched the hell out of what to do, where to go. Did all my due diligence.

Coming from a 1995 Lexus SC400 slow V8 RWD w/149K miles (awesome car, still drive it) to the WRX was quite the fun jump!

Rallispec in West Berlin, NJ proved to be a HIDDEN GEM! After countless hours of online research, I decided to stop into their shop...they are less than 45 minutes from my house, I am lucky....my wallet is not haha.

Dave, Gen, Vince, Jodie...I mention all of their names because they work as a team and I noticed immediately. 1st time I stopped in Gen and Dave spent time talking to me. It always came down to, "Well, what are your long and short term goals? Do you plan on tracking it? How important is longevity? What's your budget? Etc" I could tell they were in the business of honesty, no bull**** "this will last 200,000 miles" crap I heard from SOA/etc. 1st step...Getting that car back onto the road!

Initial Work:
Rallspec Standard Street Spec Shortblock - Forged cosworth pistons, ARP Head studs, etc, Engine n group transmission mounts, etc...and while we are at it? Accessport and Cobb 3" High flow catted downpipe. Road tune. Just with this a friend of mine whose owned multiple modded STIís, an Audi S3, M series, was super impressed w/how it performed. Not just itís OK, it was WOW.

I was AMAZEDD at how well the car ran and performed when I got it back. Idle it was as quiet as the stock car (maybe even quieter...) and pulled so much harder. The 1,500 mile break in period was flawless. Limited to 5,000RPM's, low boost.

I knew I was going to eventually build it up, I certainly wanted oil pressure/gauges to monitor the car (paranoid about another failure, which is why I overbuilt)

I said screw it, let's go with the full works...
[*]Agency Power 3Ē Quad Tip SS Catback[*]Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator[*]AEM high flow fuel pump[*]Cobb flex fuel kit[*]Roger Clarke fuel rails (hard to find...bought from the UK)[*]ID3000 injectors[*]Grimspeed TMIC w/hood splitter[*]Perrin turbo inlet: machined plugs [*]Cobb short ram intake[*] IAG air/oil separator [*]Cobb 3 port Boost Control Solenoid [*]TGV and EGR deletes [*]wide band gauge[*]Boost, oil, and AF gauges

Rallispec did all of the above and then Vince from Rallispec and I headed to MUSTANG DYNO TUNE DAY!!! It felt like Christmas haha. I found another Hidden Gem:

Labworxs in Cherry Hill, NJ - Not even 35 minutes from my house. A week or so before they tuned one of the World's Fastest McLarens! That made me trust them

Cleo/Kevin and the team at Labworxs did a 93 and e85 tune...the 93 tune was held back because of poor gas quality, no more Conoco for me haha. At least that makes it a super conservative/safe tune. He was not able to increase timing much at all because of how ****ty the gas was. E85 was a whole different ball game, then we saw well over 100+WHP from stock. Stock WRX ~230whp on that dyno I believe it was mentioned (Dont hold me to that)

Mustang Dyno:
93/E85 tune
Cleo at Labworxs, Cherry Hill NJ
297WHP/289FT - 93 Bad Gas 15 psi
342WHP/356FT - E69 20 psi

I F'n LOVE the car!!!....over 5,000 miles on the engine (1,500 on e85 tune) and not a single issue outside of 2 clamps that needed to be tightened. I don't even think that qualifies as a problem. Rallispec fixed those issues in no time, dropped everything they were doing to fix it for me. Side note: My entire career (granted only 11 years) is in small business lending. I evaluate companies constantly, not to be picky or an ass but it would be foolish for me not to, part of my decision making in lending comes down to a gut feel? or whatever we want to call it. Rallispec is an AMAZING company: the amount of work they accomplish, with great quality/attention to detail, and a limited staff, pure Insanity. Their knowledge is absurd and I could not recommend them enough.

(Pictures to come! still figuring out this site..)
-Brian

Last edited by tarwrxheel; 05-16-2019 at 03:37 PM.
tarwrxheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
SuBrewSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498057
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Aspen White

Heck yea! Welcome. Look forward to the pics. If you don't mind me asking, what was the break in procedure they had you follow?
SuBrewSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default Break-in

Thanks man!

Here are the full instructions:
http://www.rallispec.com/Engine%20Break%20In.pdf

The only thing I had to do:
1st 1,500 miles - mineral break in oil
Max 5,500 RPM's - we set 5K RPM Rev limiter though
Limit SHORT drives - no driving the car for only 5-10 minutes at a time (I believe this is so the break-in occurs during operating temps)
No LONG drives at steady RPM's
Constantly vary the RPM's
Boost was limited to approx 12psi.

Oil Change at 1,500 Then Drive it like I stole it!!! Just under 6,000 miles on the engine now.

(Pics still in the works, I have too many haha, limited time right now)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

[img]https://imgur.com/edit?deletehash=xn...bum_id=jtyI4ap[/img]

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/jtyI4ap"><a href="//imgur.com/jtyI4ap"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/9orQLqg"><a href="//imgur.com/9orQLqg"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by tarwrxheel; 05-14-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Dyno:

Last edited by tarwrxheel; 05-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295970
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
ISM

I'm in Hamilton NJ... Possibly looking for a tuner to help me with some parts down the road.

Looked at precision/pro com racing.... Labworxs, is cleo the same cleo from IAG?
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
iluvbeanz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491632
Vehicle:
2018 WRX

just curious, how much did the block with all forged internals cost you from rallispec? and how much was it to get it all installed and tuned?

I'd love to have this amazing experience as you... if my wallet can survive it haha
iluvbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
I'm in Hamilton NJ... Possibly looking for a tuner to help me with some parts down the road.

Looked at precision/pro com racing.... Labworxs, is cleo the same cleo from IAG?

Not sure where heís worked but I was blown away!! He spent 30 mins (random guess, I was giddy haha) on computer before even doing any running of the car, over 4 hours total tuning. Iím not sure how a tune could have been better. (With exception of me having ****ty 93 gas in it, out of their control though) everything about it is spot on. I often think my boost gauge is broken because how quickly it hits full boost ha and consistently the same #ís depending on 93/E85 ethanol content. Zero knock to worry about, AFRís have been right on point. Theyíve tuned all sorts of crazy fast cars.

Give them a ring:
https://golabworx.business.site/
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbeanz View Post
just curious, how much did the block with all forged internals cost you from rallispec? and how much was it to get it all installed and tuned?

I'd love to have this amazing experience as you... if my wallet can survive it haha

Was afraid this question was coming haha! Everything I think was very reasonable. *Problem* was I did so much it added up thatís for sure. The shortblock itself was I think $3,450...650hp max rated. All of the labor costs (I had Rallispec do ALL OF IT) were right around or below what I found others to be. I didnít cut any corners, I overbuilt for longevity. Also, I didnít do it all in one shot when the shortblock was dropped in. That would have reduced labor costs. I had it tuned twice (road and dyno, that increased cost)

All in with the dyno tune...I havenít added it up and I donít want to haha. Around $15K is my guess. This is a high number, but there are some things that didnít NEED to be done and the car would perform just well. That includes a tonnn of parts and time intensive labor. My wallet hates me for it...the smile every time I drive it? wellll worth it! Only thing I need is turbo upgrade (maybe map sensor) and Iím over 425whp. Itís prepped for that haha

Last edited by tarwrxheel; 05-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Need to throw out another number: $8,000 approx if Forgetting the *big set* of upgrades (flex fuel, injectors, intake, etc etc) just the shortblock and downpipe made a veryy fun car!! That included shortblock, $280 in mounts, accessport, downpipe, road tune, other minor upgrades, stuff had to buy because of the blown engine, so $8k is a very conservative estimate.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 AM   #11
BoxerLover
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 126131
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
11 wrx sedan
black pearl

running the stock 5mt as well im assuming?
BoxerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerLover View Post
running the stock 5mt as well im assuming?

Yep, stock 5MT. taking it easy on it thatís for sure...6 speed swap will eventually happen. By choice or if Iím forced (well aware anymore power Iím jeopardizing it). Itís my first manual so itís still just a blast as is with 5mt. I feel it could use that extra gear for sure at times though. Kinda like ďIím in between gearsĒ in some traffic.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
tarwrxheel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post

Update: confirmed itís same Cleo worked at IAG...AND precision. So ya. Youíre safe at Labworxs I bet haha. But hey, Message me if you want to talk more about the positive experience I had with them. I donít want to turn this into ďX is better than YĒ tuner recommendation, but Rallispec/Labworxs combo I have to imagine is up there with the best youíll find in the entire country. Hamilton? Not even 2 hours away, no brainer to make the trip.

Last edited by tarwrxheel; 05-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.