Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday June 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
user15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486228
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Blue

Default Stock cat back exhaust limit's

Been doing some reading around and while the great sti/WRX mufflers situation remains a mystery I'm wondering how much power can the stock cat back exhaust handle before it needs a 3"? Seems like power gain is minimal and noise is the biggest gain. I'm looking to stay as stock looking as possible.
user15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
tegxsi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446029

IMO, usually stock catback is fine with a stock turbo... You'll help the turbo be a bit more efficient and unlock a few ponies with a larger diameter piping but not much.
J-pipes are already 3" so some prefer to have it 3" all the way and not have a neck-down.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
user15
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Blue

My plan is headers, j pipe and sti mid pipe and muffers to keep it quiet
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
IronmanDaremo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461956
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
White

I have a resonated j-pipe (catless) and the Invidia Q300 single exit catback. 3" from turbo back, and since the exhaust is resonated (the stock WRX exhaust is not), it is actually as quiet as stock - if not a little quieter - under normal conditions. Opens up when you get on it, so has a better sound under hard acceleration.

If you are looking for quieter, but free flowing, I would recommend that. If you want the double look, they make a double model in the Q300 as well. I just prefer the single look and it is lighter (not too mention it is a 4-cylinder, not a 6 or 8 with the cylinder banks going out of different pipes).
IronmanDaremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Schoat333
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452248
Vehicle:
2017 Base WRX
WRB

I have the Cobb catted Jpipe with stock catback. I love the sound, so I am hesitant to change it. I feel like all of hte aftermarket catbacks loose some of the good tones that the stock exhaust has.
Schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
CGumina
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459394
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Crystal White

When I went from a stock exhaust to a Q300 catback, I was effing floored with how much quieter it was inside the car. Less "boomy" and way healthier sounding outside the car.

If you want quiet, stick with the factory J-pipe and a polished-tip Q300 exhaust. Until you get a bigger turbocharger, you'll be just fine with those parts for a long time.
CGumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
slimFA20
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433589
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
WR Blue

If you want the most quiet exhaust, that would be HKS Legamax catback. btw I had the Legamax and currently have the q300 (w/ cobb j pipe non res). Legamax makes stock exhaust sound loud.
slimFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
CGumina
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459394
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Crystal White

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimFA20 View Post
If you want the most quiet exhaust, that would be HKS Legamax catback. btw I had the Legamax and currently have the q300 (w/ cobb j pipe non res). Legamax makes stock exhaust sound loud.
Seriously- could you post a video of it?

I'm considering making the switch to a Legamax with a Cobb J-pipe with a cat and a resonator, and I want to get an idea of what I'm shooting for.
CGumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
slimFA20
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433589
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
WR Blue

Sorry I don't have a video. If you look on subispeeds site, they have a vid from HKS. I actually sold the exhaust after 2 months because the car was TOO quiet (while inside the car) you won't even hear anything but noise coming from the engine area.
slimFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
user15
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Blue

I should have said I want my car to look stock from the outside. I'm actually tempted to have a local shop make me a 3" to the Y then down to 1.5 or 2" to the stock mufflers/
Old 05-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Craigster08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480891
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

I ran a Cobb catted J-pipe non-resonated with stock cat-back for about a year and half. Finally decided to finish off the rest of my exhaust, and there was no noticeable difference outside of noise. Which you've already stated.

I went with a Borla cat-back which is 3 inches to the Y, and tapers down to 2.25 inches I think. Mufflers are smaller compared to stock. It's a nice sounding exhaust.
Craigster08 is offline   Reply With Quote