Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #1
Umbriss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504839
Vehicle:
2005 SAAB 9-2X Aero

Default Fog lights not working/ getting power

So I'm having an issue with my fog lights on my 2005 Saab 9-2X (WRX wagon). They are OEM and were working not too long before I picked up the car. When I press the switch, I do not hear the relay click and the light on the switch itself doesn't light up. The light on the dash does come on though.

I have checked the fuse (#7 I think is was) and it was fine. I tried swapping it out with a fresh one too. The relay I tested and it's working fine and tried another relay as well. These are fine and do not seem to be the problem.

I tested the bulbs themselves and they both light up fine and still work. The grounds in the bulb connectors are fine as well and it does not seem to be a grounding problem.

It seems that the relay isn't getting power or sending power to the bulbs and I'm not sure what else I can check or do. If anyone has some insight or has run into this problem before, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Umbriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Fuse 7 does supply power to the fog lights through the relay. Check for power on the wht/blk relay wire when the lights should be on. If you have power there then check connector B62 for a connection problem. It is a 24 pin connector near the steering column, up under the dash.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Umbriss
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 SAAB 9-2X Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
Fuse 7 does supply power to the fog lights through the relay. Check for power on the wht/blk relay wire when the lights should be on. If you have power there then check connector B62 for a connection problem. It is a 24 pin connector near the steering column, up under the dash.
So I've checked it and I don't seem to be getting power through the white/black relay wire when the switch is on. I checked continuity from the switch to the relay and those wires (red/green and black/white) seem to be fine. The red/blue from the fuse to the relay also is getting power no problem. So is it a problem down the white/black wire somewhere?
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Since the relay output wire has no power on it you now need to check the red/blu wire that provides the power from fuse #7. If you have no power at the relay contact then check that wire at the fuse panel.

Edit:
I read over your original post again and I missed something from before. I now see that the relay doesn't work when you turn on the switch. The switch light doesn't come on either. The ground for those circuits has to pass through the dimmer control switch while it is in the LOW position. Make sure that the switch is in the LOW position and not the HIGH.

Last edited by Cougar4; 08-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Umbriss
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 SAAB 9-2X Aero

Quote:
Since the relay output wire has no power on it you now need to check the red/blu wire that provides the power from fuse #7. If you have no power at the relay contact then check that wire at the fuse panel.

Edit:
I read over your original post again and I missed something from before. I now see that the relay doesn't work when you turn on the switch. The switch light doesn't come on either. The ground for those circuits has to pass through the dimmer control switch while it is in the LOW position. Make sure that the switch is in the LOW position and not the HIGH.
So I gave it a try but it didn't seem to matter what position the dimmer was on. What I did notice though, was that the high beam bulbs in the headlights (closest to the center) would go on a little bit when I pressed the fog light button. It wasn't full high beam but the lights did go on. This happens regardless of the position of the dimmer, bit I'm not sure if it's normal.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Since the fog light relay doesn't appear to be working lets find out why. First, lets check for power to the relay coil. Check for power on the red/grn wire of the fog light switch when the fogs should be on. If that is good then manually tie a ground jumper wire to the yel/blu wire going to the fog switch. The fogs should turn on then and if they do it means there is a ground problem to that switch. Using a pin to make the connection on the backside of the switch can work.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
Umbriss
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 SAAB 9-2X Aero

Quote:
Since the fog light relay doesn't appear to be working lets find out why. First, lets check for power to the relay coil. Check for power on the red/grn wire of the fog light switch when the fogs should be on. If that is good then manually tie a ground jumper wire to the yel/blu wire going to the fog switch. The fogs should turn on then and if they do it means there is a ground problem to that switch. Using a pin to make the connection on the backside of the switch can work.
Yep it ended up being the yel/blu wire. I'm going to splice in a wire to ground it somewhere and shouldn't have anymore problems. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Umbriss
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 SAAB 9-2X Aero

Well that was short lived. The lights went on and seemed to work for a few times that I clicked the switch, and now nothing. I tried to completely isolate the ground on the switch and still it was not working. The relay was working and now went back to not doing anything. Not sure why.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You may have somehow blown a fuse. Check fuse 7 and make sure it is providing power. Check the dimmer control also and make sure it is in the HIGH position. Check fuse 15 and make sure it is good.

Last edited by Cougar4; 08-08-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Archmic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505489

Similar problem. My passenger side headlight went out. This happened after I got a crack in the OE housing for it and water got in. Got the HID fault; then it shut off. Couldn't do anything because of work. Came out after got the fault again and it shut off the passenger side headlight again. Started it the next day and the fault didn't turn on but neither did the head light. Decided to just replace the whole headlight since the housing was damaged. Replaced both today and checked them... driver side came on just fine but passenger still won't turn on.
Checked the fuses and relays, they are working fine. Disconnected the battery for 45 mins then plugged it back in and still no dice.
WRX STi 2016.
Archmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
Archmic
Scooby Newbie

So update,
I looked at the old headlight connection and noticed there was gunk in it. Upon further inspection the gunk was actually burn mark. So it fried the two pins on the connector that provide power to the low and high beams. Not happy about it but at least I found it.
Anyone know where I can find the part or should I have a dealership do it? I haven't messed around in a cars fuse box like that before and I'm not even sure where to start.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The connections were most likely loose and that caused the damage to occur, unless moisture got to it somehow. I think you can get replacement sockets from places like Rock Auto, which can be spliced in to replace the original socket.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #13
Archmic
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
The connections were most likely loose and that caused the damage to occur, unless moisture got to it somehow. I think you can get replacement sockets from places like Rock Auto, which can be spliced in to replace the original socket.
Thanks, this is really helpful.
Water didn't get to the connector and it wasn't loose; just a short due to water getting into the housing and causing the light to surge.