Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Groff6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 379419
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default 04 wrx headlight H/L issue

I noticed the other day that my headlight bulbs seemed to be acting up.

When I switch on my headlights, my high beam indicator in my dash began to show very dim and when I checked my headlights, my driver side low beam was on, along with both high beam bulbs at the same time. The high beam bulbs were on but are very dim and my passenger side low beam isnt on at all.

When I switch on my high beams, the passenger side light cut out all together and the high beam on my driver side light comes on and works fine.

I read other forums but none seemed to hold the answer to my problem.
I change both the fuses, checked the ground wires, moved all the wires around behind the lights and nothing seemed to work.

So I checked the H/L RH relay and took the fuse out to find that it wasnt working at all. The H/L LH relay works fine and the RH fuse relay isnt blown either because i tested it in the LH relay.

Has anyone else had this problem before or know how to fix it? Im open to anything at this point
Groff6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Check the voltage getting to both headlight positions and each side and let us know what the results are. Since both lights were working at once it seems that there is at least a problem with the light switch.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Groff6
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Ill check it out and post the results
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Groff6
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

UPDATE:

Went back through all the components and checked everything out to make sure things were where they needed to be. Went and checked the fuses and again and my RH H/L fuse was busted. So i replaced it and turned the lights on and it busted out immediately.

I have aftermarket 6k HID's and talked to my dad about it and we decided to try a different size fuse seeing is that theyre aftermarket bulbs with ballasts and what not.

I put in 20A fuses instead of the stock 15A fuses and my left low beam worked fine and my high beams didnt come on dim as they were before. I then checked my passenger side low beam (the one that didnt work originally) and it appears to have a blown bulb. (shouldve just checked it in the first place)

Anyway, im ordering a new bulb and will post to update when it arrives and i install it.

After reading the other forums about this problem, im thinking that this "problem", with the high beams being dim and one of the low beams being on, isnt really a problem at all but a type of security measure that the car enables when a fuse is blown so that you arent running around with a headlight out.

Feel free to chime in what you think, and if youve had this problem before. I want to see if people think the same thing
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

You should have mentioned in the first post that you have HID's, we have no way of knowing otherwise and it makes a big difference with regard to troubleshooting.
It is not safe to replace the fuses with higher current ones. Circuits are fused at a rating considerably higher than the amount of current normally expected. If the original fuse is blowing there is either a short or too much current being drawn on the circuit, and the fix is NOT to install a larger fuse. Even if that fuse now doesn't blow, you are pulling more current through that circuit that it was designed for and the eventual result could be overheated/melted wiring or worse.
Most likely your HIDs are defective and that is what you should be addressing by replacing the faulty parts. Also it sounds like you are connecting them directly to the factory headlight circuit when you should be using a relay harness to transfer the high current load to the battery.
And then of course there is the whole issue of putting aftermarket HIDs in the factory halogen reflector housings in the first place. The right way to do this would be either a set of STi lights or a full projector retrofit.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Groff6
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

that definitely helps alot, thank you. I didnt know it made a difference if you used HID's in the factory wrx housings, I just figured that the HID kit was just a plug and play thing and didnt need a relay

what is the difference between a set of 2004 wrx headlights and the 2004 STI headlights?

Sorry if thats a stupid question but Im still new to the subaru world haha
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

Read this thread-
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664361
It's not just a Subaru thing, it's a lighting thing that applies to all cars. Your stock lights were designed to produce proper lighting with halogen bulbs, you can't just throw an HID kit in them and call it a day. The STi lights, although they may look the same, are factory HIDs and were engineered to work with HID bulbs.
As for the electrical part, HID's draw a lot of current on initial startup and your OEM headlight wiring is not designed to accomodate that draw. Hence the need for a relay harness to move the load to the battery.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
ImprezaWrxed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458406
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon, 210K
Silver

Default Same issue started

So I just started having the same issue with my 04 WRX. I have been running led lowbeams (in projector housings, I'm not a dummy) and rarely used high beams with no issue. Only difference is none of my fuses have popped and I'm getting 6~ volts to passenger side and drops to 5~ volts when HB switched on. Tried swapping relays in engine bay, tried new relays for DRL circuit, both blue and black top ones behind glovebox, and swapping ballasts between either side on LED's.
ImprezaWrxed is offline   Reply With Quote