Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
stevevetter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505136
Default Dead dead , not mostly dead, but totally dead

Okay, so I have an '03 wagon suffering from wanton and severe neglect. It hasn't been driven properly in 10 years and the last 5 have been having it moved 20-50 feet every 12 months or so. The story is long (donor to become a Factory Five 818 ... someday, I swear).

Anyway, this is the first sign that I cannot get ANY life to show from the car. I hook up my batter charger/starter (usually I do this, fill up the flat, ancient dry rotted tires, can get the car started and move it under its own power).

The weird part is I cannot get it to show any signs of life at all when I put battery charger to it. To be clear, yes all wiring and everything under the hood is in a state of advanced entropy. I do not expect anything normal here.

However, I can put positive directly to the starter and negative to the negative wiring (let's leave the battery out of the equation) and not only do I get no sign of life (no key in the ignition beeping, etc.) but it even makes my charger 'I'm charging' light click off.

To be clear, the car is doing this. Another example, I put charger to battery and the 'I'm charging' light goes on. THEN, if I complete what I hope to be a circuit (touch positive wiring to the post, and negative similarly) it actually makes the charger 'click off' (a protect mode I suspect.

It is almost as if it is the OPPOSITE of corroded cables/bad ground ... it's like it is a super-conductor to ground. Anyone EVER seen or heard of such a thing? Any sneaky way of getting around all the stuff I don't care about and just get power to starter, computer and minimally necessary items to make it possibly try to start?

BTW - no animals involved or nesting. Nothing except pure time (under a cheap cover) has happened since the last time I successfully got her to lite up.

Truly a puzzle here. Any ideas?

- Steve ... confounded and filled with shame
stevevetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Check the ground from the battery to the block. As well as the main fuse.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

From what you stated about the issue it sounds like you may have a defective battery. A shorted cell possibly. Have the battery checked out. Once that is done, and if you still have a problem with the power, check the smaller positive battery wire that supplies power to the distribution panel under the hood. Check the voltage on each side of the main fuse and make sure those connections are snug tight.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote