Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-11-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Cmoneyjones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503695
Default Knock Sensor Wiring HELP! p0327 Code

Hello i have a 2004 WRX. I recently installed a wideband AFR guage and after installing i started getting a trouble code for knock sensor bank 1 low circuit input. instantly im thinking they are related maybe i hit a wire pushing through the gromet?

Okay so i tested the Knock Sensor's ohm reading and its looking like .562

Now im trying to locate were it is in the PIN for the ECU so i can litterally just run a whole brand new wire if i have to.

So my question is does this look right? it has a yellow and red wire connected to the shielding and a white wire that goes to the PLUG.

I have a multimeter, but im not the most familiar with them. Learning though.

I think the motor in my vehicle is a JDM EJ205? im not completely sure? seems that its super hard to tell. IT has AVCS but its disabled. Pics in link

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApN9SErNBXojlD_IjDiHixzi57SY?e=wS16ZM

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApN9SErNBXojlD4C...1_Gvr?e=JKCKZJ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApN9SErNBXojlD1D...BjoR0?e=86h5sb
Cmoneyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

My info may be a little different than your JDM model. The info I have shows that the sensor is tied to a red/blu wire and the shield wire ties to a white wire. The wire ties to a connector called E1 on pin 6 and the other side of the connector is called B20 an the wire color changes to white. The white wire ties to the ECU on pin B6.

I assume the resistance reading you got was in Meg ohms, which is times one million. So the actual reading is 562,000 ohms. Which is a normal reading for that sensor. You need to check if there is a multiplier after the reading. K is used for Kohms or times one thousand. 10k is ten thousand. As you get familiar with your meter you will see. The meter is your best friend and will be a big help in finding problems. There is lots of help on You-tube if you need help in the operation.

I suspect that the sensor wire is really okay and the trouble is with the output of the sensor being weak. It is a pretty common issue. There could be a problem with the connector connection. End to end resistance of the sensor wire should be less than 5 ohms.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Cmoneyjones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503695

I ended up fixing this with a multimeter. Just checking for continuity. I must have poked through some shielded wiring in my wiring harness from the engine bay to the ECU passenger side. I rewired every shielded wire and heat shrinked tubing around them individually. Each shielded wire has another wire inside that is a ground i beleive. so nothing could be touching or open. My Knock sensor read 560,000 M Ohms. so i decided against replacing it. Good thing, just cleaned up the sensor a little and the block were it bolts on and the Trouble code is gone!
Cmoneyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Good to hear that the sensor is working okay now. The shield wire usually covers the signal wire in order to protect it from external noise interference adding to the low level signal. In your case there may have been a return wire included in the shielding. Even though the sensor may have the correct resistance, they sometimes will still activate a code due to low output from it. If the code returns you may have replace it. I have heard also that you need to be careful not to overtighten them to the block, but I can't say for that is a real issue.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote