Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
BrysImpreza
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3102
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 Mazda CX-5
Storm Trooper White

Default What shift linkage swaps in our cars GC or GD?

I had to drive my moms 2002 TS home the other night and the shift throw was soooo much shorter and more precise feeling then the XT is.
I'm wondering what Linkage, if any will swap into our cars?

I bought a WRX short shift lever, but it is too wide. I tried my GC8 short shifter and it fit perfectly, does this mean I'd have to snag linkage from a GC8 RS?

Thanx

Bry.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red

Linkage is the same as far as I can tell. In fact the STi SS kit uses the same linkage and bushing too. They did change the width of the barrel on the shift lever (as you discovered) on the WRX, the bracket on the end of the rod where the bolt goes through is wider. What is also different I discovered is the XT shift lever is about 2" longer than the WRX/RS stock lever. Just putting in one of those will reduce the height some but where you also get a reduction in throw is by extending the part below where it pivots on the rod. Only the STi shift rod and other aftermarket ones like the Kartboy have that. I didn't have a WRX lever to put up next to my XT's but looking at my pics it seems they are the same below the pivot point.

Kartboy makes one specific for the Forester. It's a little shorter in knob height, not much. But if you put a STD Kartboy or a SS made for the WRX in the shift knob will sit way down by the console and be too low. The tranny tunnel seems to be higher on the Forester. I have some info on the KB SS for the XT here:

KB XT SS install

These help too:

Shifter Bushing install

Peaty

Last edited by Peaty; 10-08-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote