Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday November 12, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
EastPhilly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491030
Default King lifted springs vs spacers for 07 WRX Wagon?

I found a good deal on a set of KYB Excel-G struts, boots, and bump stops for my 07 Wagon (correct wagon part numbers). I believe all I need now is top hats, spring top perches for the front, those rubber circles for the bottoms (unsure of name, but have it numbers), and springs.

I planned on doing Group N top hats and King Raised springs to get a 1.5" lift. I don't want to go too crazy with the lift, and want to be able to use stock components under the car, so I figure up to 1.5" is my best bet. No Forester struts + end links + trailing arms, etc... Just springs or spacers.

With that in mind I can't find much info that isn't 10yrs old and on forums that are ghost towns. Besides spacers, of course. So I guess I'm mainly asking what the drawbacks of the king springs on the KYB struts would be compared to just doing stock suspension (with Group N top hats) and running spacers for the lift. Biggest plus to spacers is that I can take them off. Biggest to the king springs is their durability and being purpose made to give good handling still with the lift.

Any suggestions either way? I'd there any reason not to go with the group n top hats? Any reason to go with adjustable top hats for this application?

Thanks all. I did search, but didn't find much about this setup, directly. Everything seemed to be about the king raised springs on Forester struts.
EastPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
StarkWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473969
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

I just ordered OEM height + 0.25 inch King springs for my 2006 WRX with group N top hats and excel g struts. I have 170K miles and it rides like hell.

Remember you can’t just slap on a longer spring on a strut designed for a shorter spring. You won’t be in the specified range and can possibly damage the strut.

If you have OEM struts (in length) then you want OEM length springs and so spacers are your only option. But then you run into the problem that your bolts might not be long enough.

I did a lot of reading on lifting my sedan, find my post about good suspension options and you might get some other ideas.

I finally decided on OEM height for DD and I’ll probably get coilovers when I save up.
StarkWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
EastPhilly
Scooby Newbie

The King Standard height feel like hell? Or the lifted did? Or are you saying your 170k springs felt like hell? I talked to Get-Primitive today and they suggested the king standards with spacers. I'll probably get the standards and see how they feel. Then maybe do spacers later if I still want height. I have no real need for the lift. I just like the look and think a little height would be more comfortable in general.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
StarkWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
The King Standard height feel like hell? Or the lifted did? Or are you saying your 170k springs felt like hell? I talked to Get-Primitive today and they suggested the king standards with spacers. I'll probably get the standards and see how they feel. Then maybe do spacers later if I still want height. I have no real need for the lift. I just like the look and think a little height would be more comfortable in general.

My original OEM springs and struts. While the struts arenít leaking they are definitely worn. As for my OEM springs I believe the FSM says the wheel well should be 15 inches and mine are 14 (it was 1 inch less) and you can tell it doesnít look quite right.

I ordered the regular size king springs so I can add spacers later if I want. And instead of slamming the front with lowering springs you can always just raise the back and get a little more clearance and add rake to the car.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
EastPhilly
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkWRX View Post
My original OEM springs and struts. While the struts arenít leaking they are definitely worn. As for my OEM springs I believe the FSM says the wheel well should be 15 inches and mine are 14 (it was 1 inch less) and you can tell it doesnít look quite right.

I ordered the regular size king springs so I can add spacers later if I want. And instead of slamming the front with lowering springs you can always just raise the back and get a little more clearance and add rake to the car.
Awesome! Definitely will do standard and do spacers at a later time. Thanks for the info and advice!

Any pics of your car with the setup? I'm @Hawkeye.Pierce.WRX on IG if you want to show me there. Probably easier.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
StarkWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
Awesome! Definitely will do standard and do spacers at a later time. Thanks for the info and advice!

Any pics of your car with the setup? I'm @Hawkeye.Pierce.WRX on IG if you want to show me there. Probably easier.
I took a few pictures. Only did the rear over the weekend. Will do the front this coming weekend. At slow speed it’s a bit bouncy but that might also be because the front are also worn. But at high speed over 65 it’s not that bouncy and going over bumps is pretty smooth.

Wheel well was 14.5 inches before and about 15.25 after so almost an inch difference. The service manual says 14.8 inches so almost a half inch more.

The nice thing is since they’re stiffer I no longer lift the nose when I hit the gas. It pretty much goes forward without tilting up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKs...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ztU...w?usp=drivesdk