Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
R3dg3cko Rob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443017
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STI
Grey

Default How to change the stock Subaru gas cap tether

The tether for my 2011 sti was broken when I bought the car and I have a replacement cap ready to fit but I can't see a way to release the pin that holds the tether in place. I've checked you tube for guides on similar cars and searched on here but without a clear explanation. It looks like it might pry off with a flat-head screwdriver but I don't want to break the pin or damage the fuel door. I feel like this must be a fairly common replacement, what with all the gas cap CEL issues reported but I haven't seen an explanation on how to release the pin without damaging it?

Last edited by R3dg3cko Rob; 04-03-2017 at 08:47 PM.
R3dg3cko Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
19 Sti
Crystal white

squeeze it together with needle nose pliers on the underside. bent pliers might be easier.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
R3dg3cko Rob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443017
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STI
Grey

I tried needle nose pliers but couldn't get an angle to connect with the back of the pin.

But knowing that's how it works (thanks) i cut the existing tether piece away and that gave me enough movement to angle the pin and get my finger behind and push it out.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully the photos can help the next guy.

R3dg3cko Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
alanbar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 476267
Default Gas Cap Tether

I am still having trouble removing the part of the tether that is on the gas cap door. I have tried to work it out with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver but I am afraid of breaking the round piece of the tether that is fastened to the door. Any further suggestions?
Thanks,
alanbar
alanbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
IndecisiveS12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463349
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
World Rally Blue

they're fairly robust but I'd think something like a clip removal tool can be used.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-35260-Pl.../dp/B0002SRCMO

unlike a simple flathead you'd be applying pressure to two sides of the clip and you'd also get the leverage needed because of the angle. I've never met a plastic clip that couldn't be removed by clip removal tools.
IndecisiveS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Tankismyname
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331679
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveS12 View Post
they're fairly robust but I'd think something like a clip removal tool can be used.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-35260-Pl.../dp/B0002SRCMO

unlike a simple flathead you'd be applying pressure to two sides of the clip and you'd also get the leverage needed because of the angle. I've never met a plastic clip that couldn't be removed by clip removal tools.
Good idea. I will definitely be picking one of these up. The stock tether was one of the first things that broke on my car.
Tankismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Futuredrifter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164236
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
PSM

Bumping this for people that end up breaking the the retainer pin. Pep Boys has pretty much identical ones in a 4 pack for around $3. They're Dorman 963-071 "Hood/trunk molding retainers Honda".
Futuredrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #8
james_98188
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42710
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS
Black

Default The Gas Cap Tether Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbar View Post
I am still having trouble removing the part of the tether that is on the gas cap door. I have tried to work it out with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver but I am afraid of breaking the round piece of the tether that is fastened to the door. Any further suggestions?
Thanks,
alanbar
I'm on my second replacement gas cap on my 2011 Impreza Outback Sport. Last time, I just had the Subaru dealer do it while the car was in for some other service. Seems to me either the dealer has a special tool for it, or they just destroy the pin and put in a new one. So, the latter's my plan. I just put in an order for five of 'em from Subaru Parts Plus, that ought to keep me going for a while. The pin part no. is 42037FE060, and they go for $1.24 each.
james_98188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
james_98188
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42710
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS
Black

Default The Gas Cap Lanyard Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_98188 View Post
I'm on my second replacement gas cap on my 2011 Impreza Outback Sport. Last time, I just had the Subaru dealer do it while the car was in for some other service. Seems to me either the dealer has a special tool for it, or they just destroy the pin and put in a new one. So, the latter's my plan. I just put in an order for five of 'em from Subaru Parts Plus, that ought to keep me going for a while. The pin part no. is 42037FE060, and they go for $1.24 each.
My order of five pins came in, it was easy cutting the head of the existing pin off with a razor blade, new cap, pop in a new pin, done!

And, I ordered a spare cap for when THIS one's lanyard breaks.
james_98188 is offline   Reply With Quote