Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #26
Hyperion910
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456274

So I got everything wired up and working. The only issue I'm having is that my aftermarket sub doesn't sound right at all unless I reverse the polarity. Now I'm certain I didn't cross any wires from the lc6i to the amp and to the sub. I tapped my speaker level signal off the factory sub leads. It's a DVC sub with an A and B pair of wires. Does it matter which pair I use for L and R input into the Lc6i? I based which of the 4 wires were positive and negative based on the symbols stamped into the speaker terminal they were attached to. These however showed to be opposite of what the info I found online labeling each wire stated. Can anyone venture a guess as to why the aftermarket sub response only sounds right when I reverse the polarity coming out of the amp? Again, pardon my ignorance on this topic.
Hyperion910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #27
Hyperion910
Scooby Newbie

So I've done some testing on the speaker terminals themselves on the stock DVC Sub. It would appear that for whatever reason, The terminals are mislabeled on the speaker itself. Using a D battery, when I connect a positive wire to the terminal marked positive, and the negative wire to the terminal marked negative, the cone of the speaker pulls inwards towards the magnet. My understanding is that it should move outward and away from the magnet if it were wired properly. Both sets of terminals are incorrectly labeled. This should explain why I was having the problem stated previous. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case as well on their stock HK Sub?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #28
CerOf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488048
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
DGM

Digging this up from the grave.

Hyperion,

Can you post an update of how things worked out for you?
Did you end up running both your factory 8" and your 10"? How did it sound?

I've got a 12" sitting in my garage I want to add to my factory HKU in my '19wrx.
CerOf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #29
Hyperion910
Scooby Newbie

So far so good. I left them both connected. Just have the 10 picking up lower frequencies. I’m not Really an audiophile, and I’ve got bad tinnitus, so I doubt my opinion on how it sounds really counts for much. I like it at least.

I made a post with pictures of the install if you’re interested:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2898483

Last edited by Hyperion910; 09-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #30
CerOf
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
DGM

Thank you sir! That's exactly what I needed!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Based on your experience, I'm going to leave the factory 8" hooked up and use my 12" to reproduce the lower frequencies. Should complement nicely. More than good enough for my needs/desires.
I'm not building a show car.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #31
Zombie_Doctor112
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494800

Sweet it worked out! Glad I looked at this before wiring mine up
Zombie_Doctor112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #32
mi1knc0okies
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507898

So been bouncing back and forth between the different post regarding this and found everything i needed accept where people tapped into for the Amp On Signal wire. Some post im reading go off the harness on the back of the stereo but that shouldnt be needed since it needs to go to the factory sub in the back of the car so why not tap off that? I cannot find a wiring diagram of the HK factory amp or this would be ridiculously simple.
mi1knc0okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #33
Hyperion910
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1knc0okies View Post
So been bouncing back and forth between the different post regarding this and found everything i needed accept where people tapped into for the Amp On Signal wire. Some post im reading go off the harness on the back of the stereo but that shouldnt be needed since it needs to go to the factory sub in the back of the car so why not tap off that? I cannot find a wiring diagram of the HK factory amp or this would be ridiculously simple.
The info you need is in there. Read post #4 in my write up:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2898483
Old 12-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #34
CerOf
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
DGM

Finally got my 12” installed. It truly makes a world of difference. If I didn’t already have the 12”, I’d probably rather have a 10”; just for more trunk room.

I ended up having car toys install it since i had back surgery. I used my knowledge and information in this thread to talk them down to $130 for the install. Took them 1.5hrs to install.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #35
Hyperion910
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerOf View Post
Finally got my 12" installed. It truly makes a world of difference. If I didn't already have the 12", I'd probably rather have a 10"; just for more trunk room.

I ended up having car toys install it since i had back surgery. I used my knowledge and information in this thread to talk them down to $130 for the install. Took them 1.5hrs to install.
Im glad this thread and my other were able to help.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #36
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Wrong. Subaru uses a different HU for the HK system. The Nav HU is the HK unit, and can't get Nav without HK and vice versa.

Also what tells me that the HK amp uses RCA inputs is the iDatalink Maestro installation instructions for Subarus with the HK amp: they tell you to use the RCA connectors on the SU-2 harness to plug into an aftermarket HU's preamp outputs. These signals are then sent to the HK amp through the Maestro. For Subarus without the HK system, the Maestro installation instructions tell the user to cut off the RCA connectors and connect the lines to the aftermarket HU's speaker level outputs.

Thus, I conclude that the HK HU sends line level signals to the HK amp which then amps them to speaker-level.
It doesn't work that way in my 2019, and I thought 2018 was the year they implemented this change.

My factory HK amp receives a fixed signal from the HU and it appears to have volume control through the CAN. The only way to add something to the factory setup is post-factory amplifier. I could be wrong, but I thought this was implemented in the 2018 model year HK system?

I also figured out why I keep losing my Android auto.... There is a short in the factory usb connector that is causing intermittent drops, but I can't figure out where it is... I still want to scrap the HK setup all together, but I don't like the half-@$$ solutions available right now. I lose my MP3s on a USB stick intermittently too, and taping on the USB connector brings it back...
gunz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #37
Crisco06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 163033
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru WRX
Metallic Gray, OBP

Where did you get the schematics for the HK Factory Sub?
Crisco06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:44 AM   #38
Widespreadpanic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 529211

Newbie here, just got my first STI. Its a 2016 with the HK HU. First upgrade was a lc2i pro, fosgate 1000w power amp and 2 kicker 10" L7's in the trunk. Took me a lot longer than I'd care to admit but I couldn't have pulled it off without some info from you guys here on the forum, so thanks yall! Going fast is just so much more fun with my chest buzzing from a good bass hit!
Widespreadpanic is offline   Reply With Quote