Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > BRZ Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Scala
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274028
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default Ecutek anybody?

Got a BRZ tS because I liked the suspension calibration and the brakes.

First time out in Stock trim and with Stock OE tires I beat the times of my Mod. Miata. So, time for a tune now and Ecutek to the rescue. Found an Ecutek experienced tuner and it is happening next week.

Anybody here gone down this road and can offer any advice as to what to look out for?
I'm proceeding step-wise, first a basic tune followed by a complete header/exhaust system.

Thanks.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
justinCO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38920
Vehicle:
2022 GR86
Trueno Blue

Yes, I have ECUtek on my 2017 BRZ with ACE A-350 header, JDL front pipe, and Dezod exhaust. ECUtek is awesome, not much to it just make sure you have a reputable tuner. I work with Zach from Delicious, awesome tuner.
justinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Scala
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Hi Justin. Good to hear you like it. What kind of gains did you get?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
justinCO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 GR86
Trueno Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Hi Justin. Good to hear you like it. What kind of gains did you get?
I'll let the dyno graph do the talking You can also see my video on it below.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Scala
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Quite impressive Justin and very helpful. Did you install a CAI as well?

The nearest to me Ecutek Tuner is a 3+ hour drive and this could pose a problem if I were to proceed step-wise with a Stage 1 and then move on with successive stages.

I also didn't at first understand that the user must buy the Ecutek license in addition to buying the Tunes and the Cable/dongle. I thought that the Master Dealer operates with a Master License and charges the client for each tune and the dyno time.

In consideration of your own excellent results I'm now deciding to first install myself the intake & exhaust and then go straight to the Stage 2 tune. Just one trip to the Tuner.

How does your exhaust sound? Being a very senior citizen I can't afford much attention.

Thanks Justin.

Last edited by Scala; 08-16-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
justinCO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 GR86
Trueno Blue

I do not have a CAI. I have the Perrin inlet tube with a Blitz filter in the stock airbox. There is really no benefit to a CAI on these cars, especially the 2017+ models. I have had 2 different CAI's on the dyno between my FRS and my BRZ (Perrin CAI and Grimspeed).

My tuner (Delicious tuning) is in California (I am in Colorado). They do not need to be local at all. There is also really no concept of stages with ECUtek. You get a baseline tune from the tuner, flash the car, and then datalog some driving. Send that datalog to the tuner (via email) and they send you a revised tune file back. Repeat the datalogging and reflash process until it is "good". No need to even dyno tune if you don't want to.

My current exhaust (Dezod Motorsports) is pretty tame. I have a video of it on my YouTube channel too if you look at more recent videos. I also just installed a JDL Ultra quiet front pipe and that helped tone things down even more and has a better sound, I think.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
Scala
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Great information. E-Tuning has obviously come a long way.

I will follow your steps Justin. Thank you very much.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
justinCO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 GR86
Trueno Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Great information. E-Tuning has obviously come a long way.

I will follow your steps Justin. Thank you very much.
Yes indeed, e-tuning makes things super simple. If you want a direct reference for tuner or shop that can help you out, just let me know (it's basically Delicious and Counter Space Garage).
Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Scala
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Just ordered the JDL Ultra Quiet. Nice concept but ... 4-6 week wait.

No problem finding the Delicious website. Good times ahead.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
rsr417
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496048
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport &
Grey & Yellow

Default Running Ecutec at 350 whp

I have a 2017 Yellow BRZ Special Edition #61 of 500 and sent it out from Florida to Crawford in California. I did the 100 package with intercooler Crawford/Garrett turbo, Crawford headers, down pipe, over pipe into a full Perrin system. Church in LA did the Ecutek tune, So, So.
Recently added a Deicious FlexFuel kit, ID1050x injectors, and a Fullblown fuel Pump. James Martin, in Florida retuned my Ecutek map and the BRZ became a real sports car. I've upgraded my Brembos, put on Enkei 18X8.8/9.5 Rims and 245/35 18 Michelin PSS, Aluminum drive shaft, KW Coils, Verus arms, Perrin swaqy bars, and strut brace and got rid of that horrible head set with a Kenwood DNX893S, 250 Kenwood AMP with all Alpine speakers. BRZ boosts at 2600 RPM Took out a 5.0 last weekend.
really a fun great handling car.. 1000% better than my 2013 BRZ Limited
rsr417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
rsr417
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496048
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport &
Grey & Yellow

Default Ecutek is the best for BRZ’s

Have a 2017 Yellow Special Edition with a Crawford Turbo, headers, intercooler, Perrin 3” System build. Crawford had it Ecutek tuned by Chuch in LA. IT was just OK. I Had the Delicious FlexFuel kit, ID1050x injectors and FullBlown pump installed.
JAMES Martin, Florida retuned my BRZ and pulled 348. Love it!!

QUOTE=justinCO;45749146]Yes, I have ECUtek on my 2017 BRZ with ACE A-350 header, JDL front pipe, and Dezod exhaust. ECUtek is awesome, not much to it just make sure you have a reputable tuner. I work with Zach from Delicious, awesome tuner.[/quote]
rsr417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #12
Opie
Floresbian

Member#: 470
Vehicle:
2020 Canyon Denali
'21 Forester & '13 BRZ

Hands down the best EcuTek, BRZ/FR-S platform tuner is James from HRi Tuning in Orlando, FL
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
justinCO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 GR86
Trueno Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Hands down the best EcuTek, BRZ/FR-S platform tuner is James from HRi Tuning in Orlando, FL
Yep, James is really good too. He tuned my BRZ on ECUtek before I got my ACE header.