Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > NASIOC Project Cars

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggogle View Post
When is your projected end date? How much do you work on it? I might be attempting a FA swap on a bugeye and wonder how long it would take me.
ETC (ie: Driving to an event as these are never really completed right?): Next May to Carlisle Import & Performance.

I only work on it on week-ends...

There were some challenges along the way but so far so good...

What transmission are you planning on using?
vincent9993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
ggogle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440611
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent9993 View Post
ETC (ie: Driving to an event as these are never really completed right?): Next May to Carlisle Import & Performance.

I only work on it on week-ends...

There were some challenges along the way but so far so good...

What transmission are you planning on using?
I definitely get that lol.

I would probably attempt to use the tranny from the donor. I was hoping to eliminate as many difficulties as possible and transfer as much as possible.
ggogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I don't think the tranny would make much difference with these. The only big difference is the newer cars get wheel speed off of wheelspeed sensors (DCCD Pro makes a fix for this) instead of off the transmission. So in reality your bugeye or STi 6-spd (already swapped into FA cars) would bolt right up to the FA20DIT MT. (CVT has a different pattern from FSM pics, as does the NA FA20).

I've been looking into doing an FA20DIT swap into my GC as well. My big question comes in terms on the canbus and integration of all the sensors (or satisfying the ECU for their absence), when swapping over. What is really required? I'm guessing fuel tank sensors, gauge cluster, SI-drive stuff, vehicle control sensors, and buttons, etc...?
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #29
ggogle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
I don't think the tranny would make much difference with these. The only big difference is the newer cars get wheel speed off of wheelspeed sensors (DCCD Pro makes a fix for this) instead of off the transmission. So in reality your bugeye or STi 6-spd (already swapped into FA cars) would bolt right up to the FA20DIT MT. (CVT has a different pattern from FSM pics, as does the NA FA20).

I've been looking into doing an FA20DIT swap into my GC as well. My big question comes in terms on the canbus and integration of all the sensors (or satisfying the ECU for their absence), when swapping over. What is really required? I'm guessing fuel tank sensors, gauge cluster, SI-drive stuff, vehicle control sensors, and buttons, etc...?
Honestly, this whole engine swap has come out of some crazy circumstances so I haven't even had too much time to look anything up. I was hoping to hook up most (if not all) of the wiring harness from the donor and put it all together. Including the gauge cluster and center gauges. My project is dependent on how much insurance offers me to keep the car, so I didn't want to get ahead of myself.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #30
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggogle View Post
Honestly, this whole engine swap has come out of some crazy circumstances so I haven't even had too much time to look anything up. I was hoping to hook up most (if not all) of the wiring harness from the donor and put it all together. Including the gauge cluster and center gauges. My project is dependent on how much insurance offers me to keep the car, so I didn't want to get ahead of myself.
Ah, I see you have a wrecked 2016 now...wanna sell it?

Yeah, if you do a full wiring swap over to the bugeye chassis, the ECU and all shouldn't even know it's in a new chassis. It's be a lot of mechanical things to that most likely. Brackets for dash parts, maybe ABS related (brake lines), etc...
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #31
ggogle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Ah, I see you have a wrecked 2016 now...wanna sell it?

Yeah, if you do a full wiring swap over to the bugeye chassis, the ECU and all shouldn't even know it's in a new chassis. It's be a lot of mechanical things to that most likely. Brackets for dash parts, maybe ABS related (brake lines), etc...
That's what I was thinking. Not 100% on the engine yet anyways. Didn't even attempt to start it. Looked alright but you never know.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #32
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

Honestly the CANBUS stuff has turned out to be quite easy. Subatronics has a great CAN emulator that takes care of all the cub systems (ABS, SRS, etc) and even has an input for SPEED and REVERSE to feed into the canbus. All you do is connect the 5sp/6sp speed sensor wires into the emulator and bingo. The Reverse is there in case you want to be able to activate the backup camera...

My main concern was being able to cope with the immobilizer but as long as the stock dash, stock ignition, BCU and ECU are wired in, you're good to go.
Ref
http://www.subarugears.com/subatronics/
Old 12-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #33
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I knew Subaru gears but the canbus side of their business is new to me. Awesome!

Do you know if a Cobb Accessport can still communicate with it? The page talks nothing about flashing the factory ECU.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #34
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

I have not tried it yet but led to believe it will work.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #35
GC84U2NV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469875
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Sedona Red Pearl

sub'd can't wait to see finished product
GC84U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #36
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

For anyone interested in this project, here a small clip of it moving under its own power. We only drove it to the 2nd shop th finish some welding.

Still need to wire up the VSS from the transmission to the Subatronics module.

Got the lower dash and driver seat mounted last weekend.

Wheels are being made and should arrive in early Jan.

I'll try to report on progress more often...
Thanks for the help and interest
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #37
ggogle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Still going strong??
Old 05-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #38
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Default Running

Old 03-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #39
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Anybody have any idea what would prevent the ECU from being retuned/reflashed?

We're 99% sure the donor was never tuned.

We can read the ECU and data log but cannot push a new tune (via COBB or ECUTEK).

The BIU and ECU are hooked up. So is the dash and barrel (key).

We've tried adding some of the missing components individually:
- TCM
- Airbag (has hard fault)
- Power Steering
- Security CM

Seems something is preventing the ECU to go into program mode.

Still waiting on ABS module to try that but not holding my breath. We're working with COBB but their support for "swaps" is limited.

Ps. We're 2 having the exact same issue.

Any suggestions is welcome at this time...
Old 03-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #40
brightercorner
*** Banned ***

Member#: 478335
Default Great

Wow that is a cool project, I love how it was reinvented.
brightercorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #41
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Knowing enough of how CAN systems work, and how Cobb supports, or doesn't, swap questions (understandable), I'd have said to try and talk with everything in the donor car before pulling.

You guys are using a CAN emulator if I recall, right?
Old 07-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #42
Bacerbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487369

This build is wild!
Bacerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 PM   #43
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Knowing enough of how CAN systems work, and how Cobb supports, or doesn't, swap questions (understandable), I'd have said to try and talk with everything in the donor car before pulling.

You guys are using a CAN emulator if I recall, right?

That would have been the right thing to do but a little late now...
Yes I'm using a CAN emulator but even with it disconnected I get the same result.

I tried connecting the other computers (TCM, ABS, Power steering, SRS) individually and all at once but did not fix the issue.

I'm wondering if the 'triggered' SRS module after the crash is preventing the ECU to go into programming mode... Someone mentioned that some Subarus can't get new keys re-programmed after a crash... I'm considering having the SRS module reset to try...

We will continue to experiment over the winter...
Old 08-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #44
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

Default Project: Meyers Manx Manxter 2+2 SS with FA20T

We just returned from a 24 day 10,000km road trip with our buggy and happy to report that it’s still running strong.
We just past the 100,000 (67k miles) mark.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #45
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

That's awesome. Still such a cool project.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:44 AM   #46
vincent9993
Scooby Newbie

For anyone interested in our project, here are a couple of "walk around" videos I made recently...

Cheers.