Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > NASIOC Official News, Articles and Polls

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #151
emac08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346355
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I remember reading that review and we discussed how the guy got it wrong about the two AWD systems.

I drive a 5speed 2.0i and it does have symmetrical AWD 50/50 split due to the mechanical (non electronic) viscous coupling.

And it is true that the CVT, like ALL subarus with an automatic transmission including last years version of the Impreza, does not use a viscous coupling differential.

It has an electronically controlled clutch (the exact same system Subaru has been using for years in their automatic cars). It is, however, still a symmetrical AWD system, but instead of a constant 50/50 split it varies between (sources vary) 90/10 - 60/40.

However the electronic system used by Subaru is potentially superior to the viscous coupling because it can shift power faster than the viscous coupling system can. In fact, the video you put up showed a subaru with an automatic transmission using the very system you think isn't as good.

Last evidence -- go to the Subaru Outback forum and you will find a conversation about owners who had both set-ups comparing them, consensus there is that the electronic clutch system is better than the system found in the manual version for driving in slippery conditions.

I drove my 5speed in the snow and it is a tank and absolutely amazing. So either system will be fine.

I didn't want a CVT myself, but it wasn't because of the AWD system.

By the way I do think that the electronic AWD system may help improve the MPG figures, but it isnt the only factor. Although CVT cars are a bit heavier, they do offer the best gear ratio at any given time and I think the top gear offered is more optimal than the gearing they selected for the 5speed which also accounts for the better MPG overall.

Now if they regeared and offered a 6speed manual? Maybe they would be closer to equal in MPG.
^^ well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Great first post. But you already knew it was silly to post here. Just so people can hear your opinion that is in my opinion silly. You're saying the car needs to be aggressive. This is a base model impreza! It's not supposed to be aggressive.

As it's quite clear the base is supposed to be just that.....a base model. Not only that but the 2012 impreza is clearly the best looking impreza. It looks nice and doesn't look like just a cheap base model. It's not supposed to be a "race model" and is supposed to appeal to a wide range of people for sales not just guys buying wrx's and hooking them up.
And to add to it, when you get to the newer impreza trim such as the sport limited or just add the sports mesh grill to the front as well as the aero trims kits (dealer accessories) I believe it makes a more aggressive yet classy look to the car.
emac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links