Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 8, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
epeder1102
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436463
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default Fog Lights Blowing Fuse

So I have the independent fog light mod done on my 04 wrx and I have LED foglights installed. When I use the parking lights, the fog lights and parking lights light up just like I want for a while but the 10A illumi fuse eventually blows every time. Then, none of the lights work in parking light "mode" However, when the fogs are on with the headlights I have no issue. This makes me think there isn't a short in the fog bulb housings or anything..what can I do to fix this problem? Are the fog led bulbs just cheap and drawing too much current that the illumi fuse can't handle but runs on a bigger fuse with the headlights on?
epeder1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I can't explain why the fuse is blowing out that way, it seems that things should work the same way. I assume you are referring to fuse 12 for the fuse that is blowing out. The power for the fog lights is normally tied to fuse 7. I suggest you run power to the lights from that fuse. If there is some special reason you are using power where they are tied to now then I suggest you install a relay that is controlled from that fuse. Then install a separate fuse connected to power to supply power to the fog lights.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
epeder1102
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
I can't explain why the fuse is blowing out that way, it seems that things should work the same way. I assume you are referring to fuse 12 for the fuse that is blowing out. The power for the fog lights is normally tied to fuse 7. I suggest you run power to the lights from that fuse. If there is some special reason you are using power where they are tied to now then I suggest you install a relay that is controlled from that fuse. Then install a separate fuse connected to power to supply power to the fog lights.
Yes, fuse 12 is blowing out. I still haven't figured it out. Having been incredibly busy lately I will finally be putting stock halogens back in and seeing if it still blows. If this fixes the problem I assume the LEDs are shorting out/cheap parts. I don't think I should need a separate relay, they're not "extra" lights, it should all be tied into the stock foglight circuit. All I did was replace the bulbs in the stock foglights.

EDIT: Thinking I should rethink the independent fog light wiring. How I have it now must be routing power thru fuse 12 when the parking lights are on and when the headlights are on normally it routes the power through fuse 7, a bigger 15A fuse. This would explain why it's working with headlights but not the parking lights. Not sure why other people who used the same independent fog light write up don't have this problem, though, unless their fog bulbs don't draw as much current as my LEDs do.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I assume you are trying to bypass the way the fog lights normally work with you your current wiring. If you want to keep it the way you have it you should be able to remove the wire going to fuse 12 (violet wire) and move the wire to a blk/red wire in connector B152 pin D12. The connector ties to the fuse panel and is a 12 pin connector with 2 rows of pins. It is called connection FB-11 on the fuse panel wiring.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
epeder1102
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
I assume you are trying to bypass the way the fog lights normally work with you your current wiring. If you want to keep it the way you have it you should be able to remove the wire going to fuse 12 (violet wire) and move the wire to a blk/red wire in connector B152 pin D12. The connector ties to the fuse panel and is a 12 pin connector with 2 rows of pins. It is called connection FB-11 on the fuse panel wiring.
Yes, I want the fog lights to be able to turn on with the parking lights.

What is your reasoning for doing this? Do you have a link to a schematic you're using for this info? While it sounds like good info, it doesn't mean much to me at the moment without a schematic or an explanation.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
epeder1102
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Well after finding some LED lightbar "pods" for a good price I have decided to retrofit those in the fog light bezels and use the stock switch and a new relay to power these new lights. The stock 04/05 fogs never really threw enough light for me anyway compared to my bugeye, even with LED bulbs. Just hope I can make it look nice in the stock bezels. Thanks for your help, this thread can be closed.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I do have a wiring diagram. The connection I suggested you make the change to is on the other side of fuse 12. So you eliminate that fuse but still have protection though another fuse before fuse 12.