Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 30, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default Tow hook cover gone, warranty?

Last night I was leaving a parking lot and it was dark, I bottomed out a bit, which obviously can happen to any of us. I noticed this morning my bumper was cracked and my tow hook cover was gone. My issue is that this car was this height from the factory and I would think the cover could stay in place from a little bump leaving a parking lot. 3k miles or 50k a bump in the road shouldn't be able to pop out a body panel.

Thoughts anyone?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

you could try.

but be prepared to be laughed at. i dont think they'll do anything for you.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
you could try.

but be prepared to be laughed at. i dont think they'll do anything for you.
That's why I asked, I am going to try, but I assume the say no. I just think a piece like that should be able to take a bump in the road
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE

Default

Hmmm you hit something hard enough to crack the bumper causing the cover to pop off and it is Subaru's fault.

GTFO!
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
1415 Legacy/Forester
D.Grey/White

Default

I'd be too embarrassed to even ask! Dang, how is that a defect in the materials of the car? When I go in for warranty work, no wonder the Advisors always look worn out. Sheesh!
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Thoughts?

I think we have another entitled idiot who thinks Subaru should pay whenever something happens to his car. You bottomed out in a parking lot hard enough to crack the bumper cover? What did you hit, a meteor crater? Or is it more likely that you ran over one of the concrete stops in the lot? Trade your car for a monster truck.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
Thoughts?

I think we have another entitled idiot who thinks Subaru should pay whenever something happens to his car. You bottomed out in a parking lot hard enough to crack the bumper cover? What did you hit, a meteor crater? Or is it more likely that you ran over one of the concrete stops in the lot? Trade your car for a monster truck.
This is why people really hate this site, and I don't blame them. I am no *******, and am a grownup who actually just drives his car normally. I drove out of the lot as if there was a normal dropoff, there wasn't, and it was dark. **** happens and I am not blaming Subaru for this. What I do not agree with is how easily it came out. Everyone says the front bumper cracks easily which it seems it does. Roads have potholes and things happen, you would think a cover wouldn't come off that easily that snaps in at like 5 spots.

I am sorry I brought this up, as all of you experts had to take to calling me an ******* and a moron. Thanks again for all of your excellent insight and classy answers. You again won at the Internet NASOIC members!
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
SpicyPeaNut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43310
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA, California
Vehicle:
1978 Brat
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post
Last night I was leaving a parking lot and it was dark, I bottomed out a bit, which obviously can happen to any of us. I noticed this morning my bumper was cracked and my tow hook cover was gone. My issue is that this car was this height from the factory and I would think the cover could stay in place from a little bump leaving a parking lot. 3k miles or 50k a bump in the road shouldn't be able to pop out a body panel.

Thoughts anyone?
Honestly, you drove the car and bottomed out. Why would you expect subaru to pay for any damages? Go to the dealer and but a new cover. I bought one the other day and it was about $17.
/Thread
SpicyPeaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE

Default

If you had never hit anything and it fell out, then that is one thing. However, you STRUCK something and regardless of how you think it should have stayed in, it didn't because you hit something.

There is always insurance and when they replace the bumper have them replace the cover or let me guess you are more worried about the cover and rather leave a cracked bumper on there?
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
If you had never hit anything and it fell out, then that is one thing. However, you STRUCK something and regardless of how you think it should have stayed in, it didn't because you hit something.

There is always insurance and when they replace the bumper have them replace the cover or let me guess you are more worried about the cover and rather leave a cracked bumper on there?
Look at the pic, its such a tiny crack, there is no way that I would put this through insurance. That makes 0 sense. I know the part is cheap, but then it needs to be painted. Just a hassle, more than anything. Might relo my plate there at this point. I will see how much its going to cost painted, but if its like 50 or so might as well spend the 80 on the grimmspeed mount.

dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
1415 Legacy/Forester
D.Grey/White

Default

I didn't call you any names. Just trying to understand your thought process. I looked at my Warranty booklet to see how they word it. The warranty covers defects in materials and/or workmanship during the first blah blah.. So, help me see how you view this as a defect in either?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post
I didn't call you any names. Just trying to understand your thought process. I looked at my Warranty booklet to see how they word it. The warranty covers defects in materials and/or workmanship during the first blah blah.. So, help me see how you view this as a defect in either?
It has happened to more than a few people. Someone in CT hit a pothole and it was gone. I'm just saying that normal driving conditions have bumps in the road. When it hit it wasn't ground shaking, I was going about 5 mph. 5 clips shouldn't dislodge like that. That all I am saying. Design flaw IMO, but I know Subaru will disagree. Still going to voice my dissatisfaction with the design.
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE

Default

Everything is a design flaw when you have to pay for something, even if it is like 20 bucks. Yet you would spend $80 to cover it up with an "accessory".
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
SpicyPeaNut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43310
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA, California
Vehicle:
1978 Brat
Silver

Default

Wow your car looks super low! Did you lower it? I was poking around mine a few hours ago trying to cut a hole in my new cover for the grimmspeed plate mount.
SpicyPeaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
Thoughts?

I think we have another entitled idiot who thinks Subaru should pay whenever something happens to his car. You bottomed out in a parking lot hard enough to crack the bumper cover? What did you hit, a meteor crater? Or is it more likely that you ran over one of the concrete stops in the lot? Trade your car for a monster truck.
ding-ding-dong

op needs another bong....hit
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post
This is why people really hate this site, and I don't blame them. I am no *******, and am a grownup who actually just drives his car normally. I drove out of the lot as if there was a normal dropoff, there wasn't, and it was dark. **** happens and I am not blaming Subaru for this. What I do not agree with is how easily it came out. Everyone says the front bumper cracks easily which it seems it does. Roads have potholes and things happen, you would think a cover wouldn't come off that easily that snaps in at like 5 spots.

I am sorry I brought this up, as all of you experts had to take to calling me an ******* and a moron. Thanks again for all of your excellent insight and classy answers. You again won at the Internet NASOIC members!

ya know....THIS is why I hate all these n000bs

and you are in no way grown up

call your insurance company and get them to help you

THAT is what insurance is for.....thinking this is in any way any sort of 'warranty' is ludacris in the extreme
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Southern NJ/Philly
Vehicle:
2015 GTI Autobahn
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post

ya know....THIS is why I hate all these n000bs

and you are in no way grown up

call your insurance company and get them to help you

THAT is what insurance is for.....thinking this is in any way any sort of 'warranty' is ludacris in the extreme
Noob to this community yes, but I never have seen people just be dicks in my Vw days. The Subaru crew has serious superiority complexes. This is supposed to be about helping out others, and all you do is ask a question and you get flamed. It's ridiculous. I get that you have been here a long time, and you know all (very impressed) and are sick of all the same posts, but that's what happens on forums. If it bothers you so bad, why stay here?

If you think this is what insurance is for, then you don't understand insurance. You sound like every other idiot who thinks insurance companies won't cancel you for excess claims. 2 in 3 years with many companies is enough to terminate your policy. A termination leads to the most expensive policy with the worst coverage and a low grade company. Why risk that over this? I have worked in insurance for 10 years and spent 2 years dealing with customers like you as an agent. None of you realize how close you are to being cancelled. I remember once a guy used his towing because his car died 2 times one month. We told him do it again and you will get canceled. He told me that's what he was paying us for(same thing everyone says). Dude got cancelled and was going to kill someone. This is how the majority of people think and it's not good.

Mods please close this thread, its going nowhere.
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post
Noob to this community yes, but I never have seen people just be dicks in my Vw days. The Subaru crew has serious superiority complexes. This is supposed to be about helping out others, and all you do is ask a question and you get flamed. It's ridiculous. I get that you have been here a long time, and you know all (very impressed) and are sick of all the same posts, but that's what happens on forums. If it bothers you so bad, why stay here?

If you think this is what insurance is for, then you don't understand insurance. You sound like every other idiot who thinks insurance companies won't cancel you for excess claims. 2 in 3 years with many companies is enough to terminate your policy. A termination leads to the most expensive policy with the worst coverage and a low grade company. Why risk that over this? I have worked in insurance for 10 years and spent 2 years dealing with customers like you as an agent. None of you realize how close you are to being cancelled. I remember once a guy used his towing because his car died 2 times one month. We told him do it again and you will get canceled. He told me that's what he was paying us for(same thing everyone says). Dude got cancelled and was going to kill someone. This is how the majority of people think and it's not good.

Mods please close this thread, its going nowhere.


oh...you really ARE an idiot

you dont wanna use insurace...but you THINK it is some sort of warranty issue???

suck it up fella.....PAY for your stupidity and get on with your life if you arent gonna use your insurance

this is one of the most fantastical threads ive ever seen here
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
03boxer4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66622
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, MO
Vehicle:
2002 WRB wrx - Sold
Big White Jeep Unlimited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post
My issue is that this car was this height from the factory and I would think the cover could stay in place from a little bump leaving a parking lot.

Thoughts anyone?
Please tell me you're joking. It's subaru's fault you cant judge/drive a car properly over bumps.

I think you:

A. are ****ing with us (hopefully)
B. need to buy a truck if you cant drive a car that most of us consider a 4x4 from the factory
C. Are understating the "little bump"... Little bumps for break bumpers. I was in a front end wreck and my bumper didnt break, and my tow cover didnt move.
D. Should just suck it up and deal with the fact that you messed up and shouldnt be a cheap ass and try to get something for free.


Please do us a favor and just give your subaru back to the dealer and get back into your VW "Bora"....
03boxer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: U.S. (Рос
Vehicle:
2018 Honda
Slow

Default

Did you go back to the parking lot to look for your tow cover?
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Default

Warranty item? No. Why? You bottomed out.

Consideration: go to the dealer and say that after having pulled out of a parking-lot, you noted that the bumper scraped. But, after getting home you noted that the tow-hook cover was thereafter missing, which you did not expect. Then follow-up with: should this have happened? Is this a common occurence?

If you're fortunate, the dealer may replace the missing cover or perhaps offer to sell you a new one at cost.

If you don't ask, you won't know.

List price: $16.25
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Opie
Floresbian
Moderator
 
Member#: 470
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Riverview, Florida - U.S.A.
Vehicle:
2020 Canyon Denali
'18 FXT, '16 XV, '13 BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Hmmm you hit something hard enough to crack the bumper causing the cover to pop off and it is Subaru's fault.

GTFO!
This.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
KA-T_240
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188402
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Moorhead, MN
Vehicle:
05 STI
DGM

Default

That cover is not something that pops out easily. It does require a bit of force to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPeaNut View Post
Wow your car looks super low! Did you lower it? I was poking around mine a few hours ago trying to cut a hole in my new cover for the grimmspeed plate mount.
I did this, worked great. I bought a second cover from subaru to drill into and then painted it. Kept my stock one for when I sell the car.
KA-T_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
garudatwo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322385
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

I actually just lost mine during my commute to NJ today....not a mark on my front bumper, just a missing cover. Heard a pop/crunch on I-95, and when I was locking my car at my destination I noticed that it was missing.
garudatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garudatwo View Post
I actually just lost mine during my commute to NJ today....not a mark on my front bumper, just a missing cover. Heard a pop/crunch on I-95, and when I was locking my car at my destination I noticed that it was missing.
New Jersey will warranty that for ya.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.