Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday January 18, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-23-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
outback bosco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12075
Vehicle:
2K OBS blue/silver
Lobotomized 86 & 87 XT

Default engine sputtering at High Rev full throttle app.

I was driving last night and my engine started to sputter when accelerated w/full throttle app i hit around 75-80mph at about 4.5-5k rpm. But with normal driving it was fine. The sputtering noise sounds like a series of misfired.

I have an intake and free flow muffler. No other engine mods.
The only thing that was different last night was that it was colder than usual. Could it be that there is too much oxygen going in and that is causing the misfire or detonation.

BW
outback bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
vvk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6436
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza 2.5RS
BDP

Default ignition

It's most likely ignition related. Check your spark plugs and ignition wires. If you have Champions in there, change them to NGK.
vvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:11 AM   #3
ccdelro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14398
Vehicle:
2003 White Wag Wrx
Stage Dos

Check the plugs to see what color they are. My guess is that you might be running lean. Too much air, not enough fuel . . . .

By the way, did you reset your ECU when you put on your intake/exhaust?
ccdelro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:17 PM   #4
wrxtcy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14672
Vehicle:
2002 impreza wrx
midnight pearl black

Default engine sputtering at high rev

i hope i can save you the time and headaches i suffered when my wrx had the same problem your describing.after a month at the dealership they found my pre-cat had become clogged with some sort of contaminate(it was an orange gooey substance).they changed the pre-cat and drained and cleaned the fuel tank, the hoses on the back of my intercooler had cracks in them as well apparently from overtightening the hose clamps that held them on.hope this helps you get your subie back in action.....

p.s. if you have any mods short of a rear muffler upgrade return the car to stock even if you just have a k&n airfilter the warranty guys at soa are verrry strict on any mods. peace wrxtcy
wrxtcy is offline   Reply With Quote