Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 14, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 AM   #326
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
---> hot wizard of
the night <---

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
If someone can't choose between two completely different vehicles for two completely purposes as the GTI vs the Crosstrek, that someone needs to retake their driver's license test.
Interesting dilemma. I'd still go with GTI and lift it with Alltrack suspension and trail tires. Own the curbs with a FWD based FWD system and get to keep the engine and transmission.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #327
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Interesting dilemma. I'd still go with GTI and lift it with Alltrack suspension and trail tires. Own the curbs with a FWD based FWD system and get to keep the engine and transmission.
Just built their Alltrack S in dark blue/java brown interior, 6 speed DSG with eyesight for 28k and change. Subaru needs to do some more work. More HP, better trans, better interior options(rear ducts heated rear seat) if they want to compete
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #328
b4wantab
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21293
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Oak Park, IL
Vehicle:
05 OB Black Bean
1969 W-30

Default

b4wantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #329
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
Only for buyers who need their hands held when it comes to life priorities. If someone can't choose between two completely different vehicles for two completely purposes as the GTI vs the Crosstrek, that someone needs to retake their driver's license test.
THey are both affordable hatchbacks. One is more fun, the other is more practical. They are both good commuter cars.

they are not so different.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #330
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
THey are both affordable hatchbacks. One is more fun, the other is more practical. They are both good commuter cars.

they are not so different.
Especially if AWD is not a must have for most commuters.
Nice to have? Certainly. Must have? Nope.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #331
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg_matnik View Post
Especially if AWD is not a must have for most commuters.
Nice to have? Certainly. Must have? Nope.
Prepare for the onslaught of people who will tell you that AWD is life where they live. Without it you'd die. Then they'll tell you that without 300 up you'll die, but you can compromise with 250 hp, you'll just be taking your chances.

Last edited by chanomatik; 12-08-2017 at 03:53 PM.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #332
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

We do not have to agree. I am cross shopping many vehicles.

GTI
Crosstrek
Outback
Ridgeline
4 Runner

The last two can tow and haul lots of stuff which comes in handy for camping with a family of 4. The First two are just economic cool little hatches.

The outback like all things it is a meld of them all.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #333
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Outback it up!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #334
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Prepare for the onslaught of people who will tell you that AWD is life where they live. Without it you'd die. Then they'll tell you that without 300 up you'll day, but you can compromise with 250 hp, you'll just be taking your chances.


You're pretty much a winter driving reference on this forum; you've made it all year around, in Alaska, in a low slung RWD BRZ and you're still alive and well.
Unpossible
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #335
b4wantab
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21293
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Oak Park, IL
Vehicle:
05 OB Black Bean
1969 W-30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
We do not have to agree. I am cross shopping many vehicles.

GTI
Crosstrek
Outback
Ridgeline
4 Runner

The last two can tow and haul lots of stuff which comes in handy for camping with a family of 4. The First two are just economic cool little hatches.

The outback like all things it is a meld of them all.
I was surprised by how bad/small the rear seats are on the 4 Runner. For the size and layout it is a poor compromise.

I am waiting for the Buick. We will see how that plays out.

Peace,

Greg
b4wantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #336
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh88 View Post
Just built their Alltrack S in dark blue/java brown interior, 6 speed DSG with eyesight for 28k and change. Subaru needs to do some more work. More HP, better trans, better interior options(rear ducts heated rear seat) if they want to compete

These statements are comical and will continue to be until Subaru's climb ceases. Crosstrek sales are up 14% while every Golf line had a double digit decrease in sales(minus e-Golf. Only 5 percent on 300 cars). To which, the Crosstrek doubled the sales of all those lines combined. What's your definition of "compete"? Just offering the same thing the competitors do?
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #337
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wantab View Post
I was surprised by how bad/small the rear seats are on the 4 Runner. For the size and layout it is a poor compromise.

I am waiting for the Buick. We will see how that plays out.

Peace,

Greg
YOu know I recently looked at the back seat leg room specs on the 4 runner. Man you are right. I could not believe how small it was either. My WRX had 3" more rear leg room.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #338
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg_matnik View Post


You're pretty much a winter driving reference on this forum; you've made it all year around, in Alaska, in a low slung RWD BRZ and you're still alive and well.
Unpossible
Right? Most enthusiasts want a low-slung, sporty WRX/STI hatch, but even that doesn't make much sense. I think the ideal vehicle would be a Crosstrek XT with 6-speed manual. Because then you'd at least have ground clearance, which is way more important, but it'd be lighter and more nimble than a Forester XT.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #339
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
'09 wrx
'14 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Right? Most enthusiasts want a low-slung, sporty WRX/STI hatch, but even that doesn't make much sense. I think the ideal vehicle would be a Crosstrek XT with 6-speed manual. Because then you'd at least have ground clearance, which is way more important, but it'd be lighter and more nimble than a Forester XT.
would buy.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #340
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
---> hot wizard of
the night <---

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
These statements are comical and will continue to be until Subaru's climb ceases. Crosstrek sales are up 14% while every Golf line had a double digit decrease in sales(minus e-Golf. Only 5 percent on 300 cars). To which, the Crosstrek doubled the sales of all those lines combined. What's your definition of "compete"? Just offering the same thing the competitors do?
What? The Golf dropped in sales with the diesel scandal and parking a ton of diesel Golfs rather than selling them. They are up over last year and on pace to eclipse the 2015 sales numbers which were doubled from the previous year. GTI sales looks to be stagnant trending up. Alltrack is new.

The Legacy is a good car that has many strong traits the market has rejected. It's declining sales doesn't necessarily reflect the product nor the package in every case. I mean it's weaknesses are no different than the Crosstrek's, it's just in a declining segment whereas the Crosstrek is in a hot segment. Super hot.

I think the other poster was suggesting if the Crosstrek came with a VW gearbox and standard turbo engine it would compete for his/her/our business. Not in general because clearly it competes with the small group of competitors it has. Alltrack is a wagon so it's not really competing with the hatchback Crosstrek except in price anyways.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #341
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
What? The Golf dropped in sales with the diesel scandal and parking a ton of diesel Golfs rather than selling them. They are up over last year and on pace to eclipse the 2015 sales numbers which were doubled from the previous year. GTI sales looks to be stagnant trending up. Alltrack is new.

The Legacy is a good car that has many strong traits the market has rejected. It's declining sales doesn't necessarily reflect the product nor the package in every case. I mean it's weaknesses are no different than the Crosstrek's, it's just in a declining segment whereas the Crosstrek is in a hot segment. Super hot.

I think the other poster was suggesting if the Crosstrek came with a VW gearbox and standard turbo engine it would compete for his/her/our business. Not in general because clearly it competes with the small group of competitors it has. Alltrack is a wagon so it's not really competing with the hatchback Crosstrek except in price anyways.

This is what I was trying to clarify. Sales dropped pretty steep last month. This is well after the scandal. How long will the scandal hurt them? Yes, YTD is up pretty good. Total Golf sales are still WELL behind Crosstrek alone. We could add Impreza sales to a total number to make that gap look even worst/better.

I just think "Subaru could compete better" is a funny statement considering what they've done for 72 consecutive months..... Seems to me.....they are competing better.....than they EVER have in their existence.


Yeah. Their own website pits the Alltrack against the Outback. Yeah. That's funny in itself..
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #342
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

I think the alltrak would be a much more fun car to drive than the outback. I will probably buy the outback, probably... you never know. with thousands of dollars of incentives on all these cars, it is hard not to pic a VW
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #343
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
---> hot wizard of
the night <---

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
This is what I was trying to clarify. Sales dropped pretty steep last month.
The drop is likely due to the refreshed model changeover to 2018 cars. I've noticed low inventory.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #344
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
The drop is likely due to the refreshed model changeover to 2018 cars. I've noticed low inventory.
Much smaller Subaru doesn't have that kind of inventory issue on change over(anymore). 41% for Golf. 34% on this mighty SportWagen. They have issues.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #345
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
---> hot wizard of
the night <---

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Much smaller Subaru doesn't have that kind of inventory issue on change over(anymore). 41% for Golf. 34% on this mighty SportWagen. They have issues.
That's an understatement.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #346
brandon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1183
Join Date: Mar 2000
Vehicle:
09 Legacy, 76 Mini
64 Lotus Elan, 70 Elan +2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I think the alltrak would be a much more fun car to drive than the outback.
It is. Substantially so... especially with the manual.

Brandon
brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #347
Goempie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 166202
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

European journalists did have theyr first drive in Riga. They were again underwelmed by the power unit. Thougt I have read Subaru has promissed a turbo ( will be 1.6 DIT?) soon...
Goempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #348
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
'09 wrx
'14 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
THey are both affordable hatchbacks. One is more fun, the other is more practical. They are both good commuter cars.

they are not so different.
What I don't understand is why VW made a more direct Crosstrek competitor (T-Roc), but isn't selling it in the US...
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #349
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goempie View Post
European journalists did have theyr first drive in Riga. They were again underwelmed by the power unit. Thougt I have read Subaru has promissed a turbo ( will be 1.6 DIT?) soon...
1.6 DIT Crosstrek would make the a VERY happy camper
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #350
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goempie View Post
European journalists did have theyr first drive in Riga. They were again underwelmed by the power unit. Thougt I have read Subaru has promissed a turbo ( will be 1.6 DIT?) soon...
Yeah, it looks like the guys at Autocar didn't like it that much.
They mainly griped about the powertrain/engine although they liked the improved handling.
They did mention a forthcoming turbo engine.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...um-2018-review

But, the guys at Carmagazine were way more enthusiastic; it looks like they like it a lot; especially the handling:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...v-2018-review/

Although, they concluded that fuel consumption and running costs will most likely prevent XV from selling.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.