Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday February 27, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #30401
ssssssantimonio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411867
Join Date: Jan 2015
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza 2.5i
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDorf View Post
Tru, would be more fun if the dang stability and traction control were easier to turn off.

I probably will get an inline switch when it gets a little older and I have it fully paid off, then if I wreck it I won't feel as bad lol. I don't really have many dirt roads so it would only be winter drifting for me!

It really doesn't have enough power to do any long slides anyways.
Yeah I almost got the 2liter imprezas. I settled with the 2.5 2011 n/a.

Tuned intake and header back to 91oct.

Can snap an old mans neck on demand.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ssssssantimonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #30402
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelco View Post
From my understanding the sport version just has roof racks. And wider tires. If it's anything but the base model it will have the rear sway. What makes the Impreza sport better?

BTW I have a sport. I like it. And yes for non racing, the HP isn't really a deficit. I see little economy hatchbacks blowing past Camaros and mustangs everyday on the highway. Lol.
Ah thought just the sport model had the sway bar.
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #30403
subypete
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324361
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
ICM 5MT

Default

Has anyone with heated seats replaced the seat heating element? My driver side heated seat no longer works and I suspect a broken wire inside somewhere.
subypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #30404
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Yes, twice.

The first time, the thermo switch wire broke off so I bypassed it and removed them both.

The second time the actual wire on the seat bottom broke so I spun my own element using nichrome wire from Amazon, intended for vaping.

Test the heater on both HI and LO.

If one of the elements is still working on HI, it's a break in the dead element's wiring.

If the seat works on LO but not HI, the elements are fine and the failure is likely in the wiring leading to the thermo switch.

Do yourself a favor and pull the seat out of the car. Cut away hog rings and replace with zip ties.

Last edited by Commander Keen; 03-16-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #30405
subypete
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324361
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
ICM 5MT

Default

Thanks for the tips Commander Keen.
subypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #30406
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelco View Post
From my understanding the sport version just has roof racks. And wider tires. If it's anything but the base model it will have the rear sway. What makes the Impreza sport better?

BTW I have a sport. I like it. And yes for non racing, the HP isn't really a deficit. I see little economy hatchbacks blowing past Camaros and mustangs everyday on the highway. Lol.


Struts too, ground clearance is like 0.25" different, those are the biggest differences
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #30407
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

So I was looking into a loud noise from the rear, I was thinking it might be a wheel bearing or the diff or something.

When I had the wheels up one spun hard so I'm thinking the slide pins are sticking.

Anyone have this happen and did manually moving them and wd40/grease fix them?

I'm going to check them all when I switch to my summer tires.
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #30408
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDorf View Post
So I was looking into a loud noise from the rear, I was thinking it might be a wheel bearing or the diff or something.

When I had the wheels up one spun hard so I'm thinking the slide pins are sticking.

Anyone have this happen and did manually moving them and wd40/grease fix them?

I'm going to check them all when I switch to my summer tires.
use real brake lube, IE Silglyde on the pins. i just posted about this as well twice in the last month, could be the pad clips are gummed up and your pads are stuck. mine was on 1 bad enough to wear out the inner pad (pins were lubed great, caliper slide correctly) and front drivers inner pad was also almost stuck

in fact you even posted in that thread......anyway, here is my orginal post from this thread.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...ostcount=30276
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #30409
Cujo31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 19843
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Louis
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
2016 Base 5MT VRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Struts too, ground clearance is like 0.25" different, those are the biggest differences
I keep hearing this, but I've looked, and aren't all the suspension part numbers the same across all impreza trims, for struts, springs, arms, knuckles, tophats etc...?
Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #30410
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
use real brake lube, IE Silglyde on the pins. i just posted about this as well twice in the last month, could be the pad clips are gummed up and your pads are stuck. mine was on 1 bad enough to wear out the inner pad (pins were lubed great, caliper slide correctly) and front drivers inner pad was also almost stuck

in fact you even posted in that thread......anyway, here is my orginal post from this thread.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...ostcount=30276
Interestingly enough, I've still had issues on and off with my drivers left inside pad. I had the pads off last week, and I noticed the inside pad is really hard to take on and off. I had a really hard time to get the inside pad back on - it seemed like the brake pad didn't fit into the clips, ie the pad was too big. I put new clips on as well as I thought that would help, but it didn't. Eventually I was able to force the pad back in which probably wasn't the best technique.

Hoping that once I get a chance to install my new front rotors and pads all will be fixed. I'm going to be installing new guide pins and boots in the fronts as well.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #30411
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Interestingly enough, I've still had issues on and off with my drivers left inside pad. I had the pads off last week, and I noticed the inside pad is really hard to take on and off. I had a really hard time to get the inside pad back on - it seemed like the brake pad didn't fit into the clips, ie the pad was too big. I put new clips on as well as I thought that would help, but it didn't. Eventually I was able to force the pad back in which probably wasn't the best technique.

Hoping that once I get a chance to install my new front rotors and pads all will be fixed. I'm going to be installing new guide pins and boots in the fronts as well.
i used a wire wheel and file to clean up all the corrosion on the bracket, then lubed up both sides of the pad clips as the service manual said to do. tons of clearance...didn't remove any metal either, just the corrosion
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #30412
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo31 View Post
I keep hearing this, but I've looked, and aren't all the suspension part numbers the same across all impreza trims, for struts, springs, arms, knuckles, tophats etc...?
maybe it was cars101.com not sure, no time to look right now.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #30413
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
i used a wire wheel and file to clean up all the corrosion on the bracket, then lubed up both sides of the pad clips as the service manual said to do. tons of clearance...didn't remove any metal either, just the corrosion
Makes sense, thanks. I'll check out the service manual. I just sprayed some brake cleaner around the area and cleaned with a rag. MY guess is the inside gets more corrosion since its harder to rinse off with water etc.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #30414
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
Makes sense, thanks. I'll check out the service manual. I just sprayed some brake cleaner around the area and cleaned with a rag. MY guess is the inside gets more corrosion since its harder to rinse off with water etc.
which is why i think it suggests/says to lubricate both sides of the clips
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #30415
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo31 View Post
I keep hearing this, but I've looked, and aren't all the suspension part numbers the same across all impreza trims, for struts, springs, arms, knuckles, tophats etc...?
cars101.com had this




and a quick look at a parts site
rear:
3 different springs, Base/Premium/Sport trims are all different.
2 different struts, steel wheels or alloy wheels.

front:
2 different struts, steel vs alloy again
2 different springs, manual vs cvt

so yes, the sport should be taller than the rest

Last edited by flyboy1100; 03-19-2018 at 09:04 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #30416
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

So oil consumption now looks like 1qt/1600 miles even on 0w-40. Eff me, I thought i got a good one. I think once the snow is gone it is going bye bye. I'm not going to re-ring it. At 6yrs and 145k Subaru probably won't do crap for me

Pull oil cap while running and it is like a small blower just blowing air out, not sure how much is normal but it seems excessive
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #30417
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

That sucks.

It's such a craps shoot for problems like these it seems.
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #30418
gregorz4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
So oil consumption now looks like 1qt/1600 miles even on 0w-40. Eff me, I thought i got a good one. I think once the snow is gone it is going bye bye. I'm not going to re-ring it. At 6yrs and 145k Subaru probably won't do crap for me

Pull oil cap while running and it is like a small blower just blowing air out, not sure how much is normal but it seems excessive
Been getting progressively worse?
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #30419
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
Been getting progressively worse?
yes

gonna go try this, the air from the filler cap is probably normal since i didn't see smoke.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2476439

Last edited by flyboy1100; 03-21-2018 at 11:25 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #30420
Cujo31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 19843
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Louis
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
2016 Base 5MT VRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
cars101.com had this



and a quick look at a parts site
rear:
3 different springs, Base/Premium/Sport trims are all different.
2 different struts, steel wheels or alloy wheels.

front:
2 different struts, steel vs alloy again
2 different springs, manual vs cvt

so yes, the sport should be taller than the rest
ahh; I see now-
I was looking at the wrong model years. I was looking at 2015-2016, they went to all trims the same i guess.
Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #30421
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
So oil consumption now looks like 1qt/1600 miles even on 0w-40. Eff me, I thought i got a good one. I think once the snow is gone it is going bye bye. I'm not going to re-ring it. At 6yrs and 145k Subaru probably won't do crap for me

Pull oil cap while running and it is like a small blower just blowing air out, not sure how much is normal but it seems excessive
That's a bummer, sorry to hear that man. My worst consumption was on a road trip on a fresh oil change, I ended up burning about 1.1qts / 1200 miles.

I have to say, if I develop oil consumption again as the miles increase, I will probably just sell my car as well (as long as I would get decent $$ for it). It's a shame that we have to deal with this on our cars.

Wouldn't hurt to reach out to SOA - they may be able to help you out, especially since its such a widespread issue.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #30422
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
That's a bummer, sorry to hear that man. My worst consumption was on a road trip on a fresh oil change, I ended up burning about 1.1qts / 1200 miles.

I have to say, if I develop oil consumption again as the miles increase, I will probably just sell my car as well (as long as I would get decent $$ for it). It's a shame that we have to deal with this on our cars.

Wouldn't hurt to reach out to SOA - they may be able to help you out, especially since its such a widespread issue.

for kicks i ordered some Auto-RX today, will dump in 2 bottles as suggested to clean ring packs. worst case i just wasted 40 bucks i guess.
I also ordered some Kreen, will probably try that first. kinda regretting ordering the Auto-RX now, but it shipped right away so i can't cancel it
if it works i might try it on my other vehicles too, but so far just switching from 5w-20 to 5w-30 to 0w-40 on my excursion has changed oil consumption from 1qt/1000 to 1qt/1500 to 1qt/3000-4000 so i was really hoping for positive results on my Subaru

Last edited by flyboy1100; 03-22-2018 at 03:24 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #30423
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I may be tempted to re-ring it depending on what happens this summer, i would need a solid few weeks to be able to do it though.

here is the complete parts lists minus a few extra things maybe like rod bearings????

grand total w/o some sort of parts special coupon from subaru parts warehouse is 453 shipped.

flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #30424
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I may be tempted to re-ring it depending on what happens this summer, i would need a solid few weeks to be able to do it though.

here is the complete parts lists minus a few extra things maybe like rod bearings????

grand total w/o some sort of parts special coupon from subaru parts warehouse is 453 shipped.
You're a brave man! I would still reach out to SOA, cite the class action lawsuit, and see if there's anything they could do. State that your a loyal Subaru customer etc. Worked with my dad's old Legacy, the cat was toast, out of warranty, but SOA covered the bill for us.
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #30425
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I might tomorrow if I have time, current fix is a new short block and that alone is 2k.

Then i also have to debate a clutch because im already in there.....
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 2 03-08-2020 06:34 PM
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 03:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 08:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 05:09 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.