Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 28, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #31601
rizaldiiii.13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512180
Join Date: Mar 2020
Default

hello, i just wanted to ask , is it normal for the 2012 impreza hatchback to have noise when going over uneven roads or small bumps??, coz i feel like theres a 'thumping' sound, i just recently replaced all the bushings and both of the rack end

and one more thing,my seat's springs ate broken so i hear like a squeak/creaking sound if the car shakes, and now whenever i went on an uneven road the car feels so bumpy, is it bcs of the seat's springs?

thankss
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rizaldiiii.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #31602
JustaImpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357515
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Glens Falls, NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX - Base
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaldiiii.13 View Post
hello, i just wanted to ask , is it normal for the 2012 impreza hatchback to have noise when going over uneven roads or small bumps??, coz i feel like theres a 'thumping' sound, i just recently replaced all the bushings and both of the rack end



and one more thing,my seat's springs ate broken so i hear like a squeak/creaking sound if the car shakes, and now whenever i went on an uneven road the car feels so bumpy, is it bcs of the seat's springs?



thankss


This happened to my 2013 twice while under warranty. Rear shock and front shock were leaking both times. Look for oil on the lower part of the strut assembly below the bottom of the spring seat down to where it meets the hub assembly. Compare all four corners. Should be easy to tell which one is leaking.
JustaImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #31603
rizaldiiii.13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512180
Join Date: Mar 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaImpreza View Post
This happened to my 2013 twice while under warranty. Rear shock and front shock were leaking both times. Look for oil on the lower part of the strut assembly below the bottom of the spring seat down to where it meets the hub assembly. Compare all four corners. Should be easy to tell which one is leaking.
So did u replace the strut?? im gonna check for the oil leak in the struts tomorrow
rizaldiiii.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #31604
JustaImpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357515
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Glens Falls, NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX - Base
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaldiiii.13 View Post
So did u replace the strut?? im gonna check for the oil leak in the struts tomorrow


Absolutely! Covered by warranty both times. Had to argue to get an alignment check / adjustment, but that was covered too. The noise went away after replacement.
JustaImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #31605
rizaldiiii.13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512180
Join Date: Mar 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaImpreza View Post
Absolutely! Covered by warranty both times. Had to argue to get an alignment check / adjustment, but that was covered too. The noise went away after replacement.
i just checked the struts and theres no sign of oil leak though
rizaldiiii.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #31606
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Changed my spark plugs this morning. Unless I missed something this was easier than doing the brakes. Cost was less than $100 and took a couple hours. Vice the quoted $650 from the dealership.

Probably old news or maybe a refresher:

HIGHLY recommend a "spark plug" socket (deep/magnetic), link to the one I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also a 3" socket extension as mentioned on some forum or another. Was a tight fit but worked. Some were using a joint socket for a better angle but this shouldnt be necessary.

Saw a lot of caution about cross threading, some guy using a hose to align the spark plugs? The socket helped here, I could just hold the extension and start inserting by hand easily.



Was getting a smell through my vents about a month ago, dealer fixed a seal on the engine under warranty from the short block replacement. Paid for steam cleaning after.

Still getting that smell. Put the car on ramps this morning and it looks like some parts are caked with dirt = sticky oil layer. Noticed a spot of oil on my fumoto and under the transmission. Either the dealer didnt clean it or its still a problem. Will notify them and check again in a couple weeks for droplets.

Hoping the oil consumption issue is at least gone for good...
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #31607
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

Im surprised too, everyone always says how bad the plug job is.
The brakes were easy too. Its actually a very simple car to work on which is nice for the diyer
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #31608
Invisible3mpire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 373741
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Hatch
ISM

Default

Did my plugs somewhat recently as well. Wasn't happy with the amount of gunk left on one. Ended up having a shop owner friend replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs tube seals @ ~163k miles.
Invisible3mpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #31609
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible3mpire View Post
Did my plugs somewhat recently as well. Wasn't happy with the amount of gunk left on one. Ended up having a shop owner friend replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs tube seals @ ~163k miles.
Nice! Hoping I can make it to that many miles if my oil leak ever gets fixed.
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #31610
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Time to fix drivers seat again. Fixed it 7 years ago, might actually be broke this time. At least a new frame is only about 180 shipped
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #31611
IHaveAHorse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507873
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

I know this isn't strictly related to the car but boy am I not looking forward to having to go to the DMV and register my car again and get a new license and everything. I have enough anxiety going out when I don't have to worry about overcrowding and a pandemic at the same time.

Thankfully it looks like we've been given a couple extra months to renew, even if your registration and license (mine isn't) are expired, all you have to do is say you couldn't make it to a DMV to renew. I should still get it done ASAP obviously but it takes a little stress off.

Last edited by IHaveAHorse; 08-15-2020 at 12:03 AM.
IHaveAHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:46 AM   #31612
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAHorse View Post
I know this isn't strictly related to the car but boy am I not looking forward to having to go to the DMV and register my car again and get a new license and everything. I have enough anxiety going out when I don't have to worry about overcrowding and a pandemic at the same time.

Thankfully it looks like we've been given a couple extra months to renew, even if your registration and license (mine isn't) are expired, all you have to do is say you couldn't make it to a DMV to renew. I should still get it done ASAP obviously but it takes a little stress off.


We just do ours online
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #31613
IHaveAHorse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507873
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Wish ours worked like that
IHaveAHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:04 AM   #31614
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

As suspected
I plan to use 1/8 or 3/16 rod to make my own to replace these since you cant actually buy these thin POS clips. Factory clips are 1/16 and there is easily space for 3/16 in the holes

flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #31615
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326345
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

Default

Hey all, So just checking in to see if anyone else is in the same boat. since my oil consumption test and subsequent failure, my engine has never been sealed back up correctly. Around 80,000 mi I had the short block done as part of the class action o-ring issue. Since then, I've been back to two different Subaru dealers I think 12 times at this point to have my engine completely taken out and resealed. Now at 161,000 mi, and just getting it back two weeks ago, I still think it's leaking oil. Anyone else have this issue or do the goons who took apart my engine the first time just **** it up?
dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #31616
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

I would cal Subaru of America. Get them all the info you have had about it. It shouldnt be that complex of a job especially for a delear.

They are good at taking care of people.
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #31617
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcon9999 View Post
Anyone else have this issue or do the goons who took apart my engine the first time just **** it up?
Been back to the dealer a couple times for oil leaking after short block replacement. Actually have to take it back again but haven't gotten around to it.

First time they redid the main rear seal? Second time they suggested the Fumoto valve and the fix was to put an OEM drain plug in. There is clearly oil above the pan and **** caked on even though they steam cleaned it. Also getting burnt oil smell through the vent.

I looked at Subaru of America contact form but haven't filled it out yet. I will before taking it in next time just to get the ball rolling.
CalTech87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #31618
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326345
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTech87 View Post
Been back to the dealer a couple times for oil leaking after short block replacement. Actually have to take it back again but haven't gotten around to it.

First time they redid the main rear seal? Second time they suggested the Fumoto valve and the fix was to put an OEM drain plug in. There is clearly oil above the pan and **** caked on even though they steam cleaned it. Also getting burnt oil smell through the vent.

I looked at Subaru of America contact form but haven't filled it out yet. I will before taking it in next time just to get the ball rolling.
Yeah, SOA has been involved since the beginning. :/
dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #31619
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Seat is fixed, used 1/8 steel rod and was really easy to bend into something that would work. Im surprised it took me so long to notice the lack of support!
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #31620
DieselDorf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454773
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Traverse City, MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Pearl White

Default

Hmm never noticed mine. Before I bought it the seat had a squeak and the dealer fixed it, never had any issues since.
DieselDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:55 AM   #31621
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDorf View Post
Hmm never noticed mine. Before I bought it the seat had a squeak and the dealer fixed it, never had any issues since.


Mine did take over 8yrs to break, but it has been apart 7+ years ago to fix the squeaks.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #31622
Dlu650
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 451054
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default how do i post in here?

anyone know how to post or start a new thread in here?
Dlu650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #31623
Ladeef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318753
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTech87 View Post
Been back to the dealer a couple times for oil leaking after short block replacement. Actually have to take it back again but haven't gotten around to it.

First time they redid the main rear seal? Second time they suggested the Fumoto valve and the fix was to put an OEM drain plug in. There is clearly oil above the pan and **** caked on even though they steam cleaned it. Also getting burnt oil smell through the vent.

I looked at Subaru of America contact form but haven't filled it out yet. I will before taking it in next time just to get the ball rolling.
Timing cover is the usual culprit, leaks right onto the exhaust.
Ladeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #31624
IHaveAHorse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507873
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Are there any standard recommendations for a cheap replacement muffler for the wagon/hatch to increase the volume and rumble a little bit? Not civic fart cannon levels but something that makes it a little less prius-sounding?

And it doesn't have to be as cheap as possible or anything, just preferably not $500 for a replacement muffler or something. Most importantly probably, easy to swap out, not requiring drilling holes all over the place or welding or anything.
IHaveAHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #31625
Cujo31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 19843
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Louis
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
2016 Base 5MT VRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAHorse View Post
Are there any standard recommendations for a cheap replacement muffler for the wagon/hatch to increase the volume and rumble a little bit? Not civic fart cannon levels but something that makes it a little less prius-sounding?

And it doesn't have to be as cheap as possible or anything, just preferably not $500 for a replacement muffler or something. Most importantly probably, easy to swap out, not requiring drilling holes all over the place or welding or anything.
namelessperformance.com their impreza muffler is usually around $200,
Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 2 03-08-2020 06:34 PM
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 03:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 08:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 05:09 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.