Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
WRXnick16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447898
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideBody View Post
It all depends on how the power is delivered, but I owned a 2015 WRX and after I got over the "wow, this is fast in normal driving compared to the old one" feeling I felt the car was pretty anemic once you actually revved it out. It just felt like it died after 3000RPM which isn't a good feeling whatsoever. I know that's an issue with most of these modern DIT engines from all manufacturers, but I just hope they can keep the redline higher and at least add some "drama" to the STI with the new motor while still adding performance throughout the curve.

I've recently driven some high strung NA motors and that is truly a great feeling. It's something that I truly miss and probably something we'll never see again sadly. I feel like a 6000RPM redline on a "performance" car is the new norm until it's fully electric. The era of 8000+ RPM redlines is most likely over.
I agree, I wasn't impressed by the stock FA20DIT powerband. Adding flex fuel & a tune helped quite a bit.

I think a higher powerband and ~7,500 rpm redline is very reasonable to ask for. Subaru can easily make power up there as proved by many FA20 builds on here. Swapping to a slightly larger turbo and higher flowing intake manifold is all that it takes. They could also change the cam profiles and improve the head flow. The BRZ heads already make power up there. Dual injection (port & direct) also helps with higher RPM power and minimizes carbon buildup. The extra displacement from the FA24 would help offset additional turbo lag.

I've owned a lot of Hondas (S2000, Civic w/ K20a, Civic w/ B18C, etc.) with 8,500-9,000 rpm redlines. Now we live in a time where v8 Mustangs have a higher redline than most cars (Mustang GT 7,500 rpm & GT350 8,250 rpm).
WRXnick16 is online now   Reply With Quote