Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #3326
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
My latest report looks good compared to the last one when I was running PUP 5w30. I changed over to Motul 5w40 and happy with it.

https://document.li/----
Not sure if its just Malwarebytes being over-protective or what, but when i clicked the link it finds something it doesn't like. Category unspecified isn't terribly convincing though...That said it won't let me go to the site.

-Website Data-
Category: Unspecified
Domain: www.pdf-archive.com
IP Address: 212.129.32.66
Port: [53628]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #3327
wheeliesteve
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455200
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Near Dallas,Texas
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
Not sure if its just Malwarebytes being over-protective or what, but when i clicked the link it finds something it doesn't like. Category unspecified isn't terribly convincing though...That said it won't let me go to the site.

-Website Data-
Category: Unspecified
Domain: www.pdf-archive.com
IP Address: 212.129.32.66
Port: [53628]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Not sure why. So i just uploaded it to my Google drive account and shared it out. You can view it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X5...6_tkV4EBBx_4L2
wheeliesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #3328
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRowland View Post
Id start here:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...5#post45560595

Then read this thread we are in from the beginning AND follow all the links. It took me awhile, but it will answer most every oil question you may have now. Plus you will learn where to go to find answers in the future. As an added bonus youll learn who some of the really smart people on this forum are as well as a few trolls.
Thx Rowland, re-read through there and got caught up reading through the last page with the bits on the updated Rotella. In so far as the links go...I didn't follow them all, heh nobody has time for that...I've read through a number of the links, and followed links from those links, that i thought* would be helpful though and i think that's what you really intended, despite the ALL in caps. ;-)

I'll try to post back my next couple oil samples to add to the list.
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #3329
wheeliesteve
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455200
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Near Dallas,Texas
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Default

Trying to get this to post one more time.

wheeliesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #3330
JRowland
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 454620
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maggie Valley, NC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
Thx Rowland, re-read through there and got caught up reading through the last page with the bits on the updated Rotella. In so far as the links go...I didn't follow them all, heh nobody has time for that...I've read through a number of the links, and followed links from those links, that i thought* would be helpful though and i think that's what you really intended, despite the ALL in caps. ;-)

I'll try to post back my next couple oil samples to add to the list.
It took me forever, its almost like reading a book lol. It teaches you a lot though, mainly how and where to find answers. Or I guess since its so subjective where to find information to help make decisions. There are some helpful people here that are interested and up on the subject, there used to more but they either got the boot or moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliesteve View Post
Trying to get this to post one more time.

Looks real similar to the Castrol 0w40.
JRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #3331
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliesteve View Post
Not sure why. So i just uploaded it to my Google drive account and shared it out. You can view it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X5...6_tkV4EBBx_4L2
Weird, that one opened right up. /shrug
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #3332
Hotrodguru
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37210
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas | New York
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX
Black

Default

Alright, without having to read thru 67 pages, what do you data nerds recommend?

My 2016 WRX is about to hit 30k miles and I'll be doing my first oil change.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

well since the included free 2-year service is up. My last oil of choice was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and before that Mobil 1 for years. Don't come here with some Royal Purple bull**** because that sucked years ago in my bug eye.

Oh and I'm in Houston so it's usually pretty damn hot here.
Hotrodguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #3333
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
18 golf arrrr!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodguru View Post
Alright, without having to read thru 67 pages, what do you data nerds recommend?

My 2016 WRX is about to hit 30k miles and I'll be doing my first oil change.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

well since the included free 2-year service is up. My last oil of choice was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and before that Mobil 1 for years. Don't come here with some Royal Purple bull**** because that sucked years ago in my bug eye.

Oh and I'm in Houston so it's usually pretty damn hot here.
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101...s=castrol+0w40
n2oiroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #3334
Hotrodguru
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37210
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas | New York
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
Was actually thinking of Castrol Edge.

5w-30 is $23.27!
https://smile.amazon.com/Castrol-030...trol+edge+5w30

EDIT: Went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. $25 at Walmart with free shipping.

Last edited by Hotrodguru; 03-27-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Hotrodguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #3335
Sparc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445894
Join Date: Apr 2016
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Default

Another one for Motul X-Clean 5w-30.

Sparc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #3336
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
Another one for Motul X-Clean 5w-30.




Which X-clean? There are three and this looks like a newer one. Any mods? Driving conditions? What air filter are you running?
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #3337
Sparc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445894
Join Date: Apr 2016
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Which X-clean? There are three and this looks like a newer one. Any mods? Driving conditions? What air filter are you running?
I started with C3 and this is now labeled EFE for the most recent change... I don't really get a choice, I ordered the "c3" label and get the EFE label now. I don't think there is much difference. The current fill is also this EFE labeled stuff.

I've been full bolt ons minus turbo and headers, GS intake since about 6k miles. I added a oil cooler on the last change (mishi w/ thermostatic) which is where the 1qt of makeup oil came from, and the bumped copper last time (leech out of the copper passages in the cooler).

The car was a daily up until about 12k. Since then it's been a road trip and mountain run vehicle, with the occasional shorter trip and autox/trackday. This last oil change included a 4800 mile road trip through WA/OR/CA, up to 118f outside, being flogged most of the trip. I'm not easy on my cars, but I do take good care of them.

Was it the moly that made you call out the difference in X-Clean formulations? I'm not really aware of the differences. Is there more information somewhere?

Last edited by Sparc; 04-06-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Sparc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #3338
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
I started with C3 and this is now labeled EFE for the most recent change... I don't really get a choice, I ordered the "c3" label and get the EFE label now. I don't think there is much difference. The current fill is also this EFE labeled stuff.

I've been full bolt ons minus turbo and headers, GS intake since about 6k miles. I added a oil cooler on the last change (mishi w/ thermostatic) which is where the 1qt of makeup oil came from, and the bumped copper last time (leech out of the copper passages in the cooler).

The car was a daily up until about 12k. Since then it's been a road trip and mountain run vehicle, with the occasional shorter trip and autox/trackday. This last oil change included a 4800 mile road trip through WA/OR/CA, up to 118f outside, being flogged most of the trip. I'm not easy on my cars, but I do take good care of them.

Was it the moly that made you call out the difference in X-Clean formulations? I'm not really aware of the differences. Is there more information somewhere?


Hard to tell if some of the elevated metals are just noise, actual wear, lingering break-in metals, the oil cooler swap or all of the above. If metals dont drop soon Id go with a Dyson Analysis.

Note the uptick in silicon. This is a downside when you go with aftermarket air filters. Keep an eye on it. More flow = more dirt. BS thinks 31 ppms of silicon is good? Mine was in the single digits with an OEM air filter. Note the slight uptick in Al.

It was the zinc that gave away this being a newer X-clean formulation. There are now actually two X-cleans (+ and EFE) and I suspect theyre both lower in zinc. The original X-clean had around 1,000 ppms of zinc. ACEA C3 limits phosphorus, but not zinc, so I suspect zinc was reduced to meet some other specs (unless C3 has also recently changed).

With your mods and your driving conditions I dont see the advantage of running an ACEA C3 oil. nEedZ mOAr ZDDP! Seriously, just keep an eye on silicon and wear metals for the next uoa. Also consider an ACEA A3/B4 oil.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #3339
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodguru View Post
Was actually thinking of Castrol Edge.

5w-30 is $23.27!
https://smile.amazon.com/Castrol-030...trol+edge+5w30

EDIT: Went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. $25 at Walmart with free shipping.
Hmm, i may use this for the wrx since M1 EP had a price jump on amazon!!

But there different types of edge. I think the gold jug is the "best" one.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #3340
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Purple 5w 30, changed at 4k miles or so, blackstone link below from a google account.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ma...E3pZN-agzL0YVK

Last edited by CoffeeBlacker; 04-15-2018 at 02:25 PM.
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #3341
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post


Sheared to a 20 weight but no surprise there. Any idea how old the oil is? Valvoline used to use sodium as an additive but recently dropped it with their last reformulation due to sodium being a contributor to LSPI.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #3342
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

oil was purchased and changed in i think oct of 2016. The sample was from dec of 2016, wasn't turned in until last month though. I'll have another sample in a few weeks, but of regular subaru oil. (edit: I have a partial quart (purple) from a couple changes ago...but that probably isn't going to be terribly useful to you).

edit: Scratch that, probably changed in sept, and sample taken in nov '16.

edit: side note...mobile 1 f syn going for $11 / 5qt after mir on the wal-mart sites...one of them: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...ype=10&veh=aff

Last edited by CoffeeBlacker; 04-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #3343
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
oil was purchased and changed in i think oct of 2016. The sample was from dec of 2016, wasn't turned in until last month though. I'll have another sample in a few weeks, but of regular subaru oil.

edit: Scratch that, probably changed in sept, and sample taken in nov '16.
Royal purple, back when i didn't know any better, ALWAYS showed higher copper numbers. This was when i used RP in my rotary, this was when i used RP in my LS2, my LS3 and my LS9. I should have learned from the first report. But i stuck with it, because again like i said, i didn't know any better.

Switched to M1 EP ever since those reports and all subsequent reports following that always showed great results.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #3344
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

I'm getting that kind of response anytime someone see's rp in my posts...either, i used to use it, or i wouldn't ever use that responses.

Also the edit above about m1 fs, that didn't seem to apply to m1 ep. edit: Meh, yep it is covered by the rebate ($17 off instead of $12 i think if i read that right). https://apfco.com/secure/R9721W/Info/Terms

Last edited by CoffeeBlacker; 04-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #3345
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
I'm getting that kind of response anytime someone see's rp in my posts...either, i used to use it, or i wouldn't ever use that responses.

Also the edit above about m1 fs, that didn't seem to apply to m1 ep. edit: Meh, yep it is covered by the rebate ($17 off instead of $12 i think if i read that right). https://apfco.com/secure/R9721W/Info/Terms
Because the oil sucks lol

I never listen to marketing hype anymore and even though M1 might have some sort of "partnership" with GM as mobil 1 is all over the dealers, and they put their stickers in the engine bay etc, the oil is pretty good.

GM even put out a bulletin stating all 2019 corvettes will now get a factory fill of M1 ESP 0W-40. Which is a GREAT oil. They even told service to make this available for all corvettes, not just for the 2019 factory fill.

Either way i should be draining my oil on my wrx this week and going to get a UOA on the M1 EP 5w30. It will only have about 2900 miles on it though but i checked the oil yesterday and sure enough, PITCH BLACK. I can't believe how bad this oil gets, this quickly in these cars.

My C7Z with the same oil, has already 1500 miles on the same oil. I also checked that yesterday and looks brand new lol.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #3346
SoSideways
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80035
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

I have been lazy and also kind of been busy with life too, and I've been meaning to do an oil change on my car. Long story short, I'm about to do an oil change with Penzoil Platinum, to replace Penzoil Platinum, but the current fill has about 7500 miles on it. We'll see how it looks lol
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #3347
tramp
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 459629
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Knobbley Mountain
Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

Default

Like hot dark brown water.
tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #3348
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482592
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLXLR8 View Post
Because the oil sucks lol

I never listen to marketing hype anymore and even though M1 might have some sort of "partnership" with GM as mobil 1 is all over the dealers, and they put their stickers in the engine bay etc, the oil is pretty good.

GM even put out a bulletin stating all 2019 corvettes will now get a factory fill of M1 ESP 0W-40. Which is a GREAT oil. They even told service to make this available for all corvettes, not just for the 2019 factory fill.

Either way i should be draining my oil on my wrx this week and going to get a UOA on the M1 EP 5w30. It will only have about 2900 miles on it though but i checked the oil yesterday and sure enough, PITCH BLACK. I can't believe how bad this oil gets, this quickly in these cars.

My C7Z with the same oil, has already 1500 miles on the same oil. I also checked that yesterday and looks brand new lol.
I sent in my oil (subaru oil) in Saturday with 3k on it, so i should have results back soonish...and i realize there are a lot of posts already on that oil, but it'd be good to have a baseline to compare some other oils against for the next few changes from my own engine.

Thanks for your thoughts on the purple oil, based on the negative reviews i won't likely put it back in again. There's a part of me that is interested in seeing if they changed the formula since i posted the previous one from a year and a few months ago though...
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #3349
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
I sent in my oil (subaru oil) in Saturday with 3k on it, so i should have results back soonish...and i realize there are a lot of posts already on that oil, but it'd be good to have a baseline to compare some other oils against for the next few changes from my own engine.

Thanks for your thoughts on the purple oil, based on the negative reviews i won't likely put it back in again. There's a part of me that is interested in seeing if they changed the formula since i posted the previous one from a year and a few months ago though...
If i were you, i would definitely search for the videos, you know those sunday tv shows like "engine power" or "truck tech"? I think it's called the power block tv show that's mostly aired on sunday mornings? You know how they all rave about royal purple and they even show the hosts pour royal purple in the engines?

Well what they don't tell you is that they only show them pouring RP into the engine for the SHOW ONLY. When they run the engines, it actually has a different oil in it. So they only pour RP to show on tv. Drain it off air, then put their desired oil in it to film the rest of the show. I saw this video back in like 2014 or something. So you gotta search to find that video.

RP is absolute trash. I still can't believe how they're still in business.

I rather run autozone oil before that.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #3350
hagerbombs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445914
Join Date: May 2016
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

I haven't checked this forum since I did my first oil change on my new '16 WRX. At that time Mobil 1 ESP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum were determined to be the two best and I have been using Mobil 1 ESP ever since, changing it anywhere from 3-4k. I have yet to ever to an oil analysis on it, but I haven't had any issues with it. I'd same I'm fairly tame when I drive. I drive fast, but I don't break into boost much unless I need it (after the oil is hot enough).

I was just checking back to see if there were any new oils that have performed better than the Mobil 1 ESP that I've been using?
hagerbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.