Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 12, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #126
jonpers172
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393893
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 impreza WRX
black

Dude, save yourself time and do an upgrade while your at it. Avcs really smooths out the power band, just leave all the components intact. Swap your intake manifold, do a tgv delete (using the jdm "spacer") while your there, swap in the usdm exhaust manifold and oil cooler, then swap in the usdm power steering, alternator and a/c compressor. Lastly the ever confusing timing components gets whacky. since you'll need the jdm ecu to run avcs you more than likely should leave the jdm timing components. Lastly you can do the AVCS wiring yourself and save money. If you text me I can send you wiring diagrams.

If you intend to do racing or power upgrades defiantly look at the ej207 (I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence) I wouldn't even mess with tearing into a perfectly good block. I would definitely install it before the warranty period is up though, my first jdm had a spun bearing.

Your welcome to text me, I recently finished up my swap. 8479753480
jonpers172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #127
jonpers172
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 impreza WRX
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnow95 View Post
I just have the stock to Usdm wrx ecu right now, my fuel is fresh just put some in during the this whole process, messed with the timing but seems right, I'm running the Usdm intake manifold and it does turn over with my foot on the gas. And I am not sure if it's a drive by wire or not how do I figure that out? Thanks kurt
Any updates?
I was just thinking your coil packs could be backwards or not connected?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #128
subierex929
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328122
Vehicle:
2011 STI
Black

2003 WRX. Looking to swap a complete jdm ej205 into the car. Both jdm dealers I spoke with advised me that my car does not have avcs setup. I can get the jdm ej205 non avcs for $1,000.00. Gonna use it with the usdm ecu and either the cobb accessport,which i already have, or get a dyno tune. I've noticed the non avcs jdm motors have red spark plug wires to where my current motor has coil packs. Not really worried about avcs since i will be getting a tune either way. Want to get my hands on a motor this week so i am trying to get everything figured out before making the purchase. I've searched everywhere and get mixed reviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Do i need to swap over coil packs with all the wires to the non avcs ej205?

Do i swap over all of the externals from my usdm motor onto the jdm ej205 non avcs when using the usdm ecu?

Would it be easier to just purchase one with avcs since the externals are similar to the current motor and just leave it unplugged instead of getting the non avcs?

Would the stage 2 cobb accessport map work with the swap or would the dyno tune be best?

Anyone running either engines with or without avcs and using the usdm ecu? If so, what kind of tune are you running? Cobb or dyno?
subierex929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #129
jonpers172
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 impreza WRX
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by subierex929 View Post
2003 WRX. Looking to swap a complete jdm ej205 into the car. Both jdm dealers I spoke with advised me that my car does not have avcs setup. I can get the jdm ej205 non avcs for $1,000.00. Gonna use it with the usdm ecu and either the cobb accessport,which i already have, or get a dyno tune. I've noticed the non avcs jdm motors have red spark plug wires to where my current motor has coil packs. Not really worried about avcs since i will be getting a tune either way. Want to get my hands on a motor this week so i am trying to get everything figured out before making the purchase. I've searched everywhere and get mixed reviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Do i need to swap over coil packs with all the wires to the non avcs ej205?

Do i swap over all of the externals from my usdm motor onto the jdm ej205 non avcs when using the usdm ecu?

Would it be easier to just purchase one with avcs since the externals are similar to the current motor and just leave it unplugged instead of getting the non avcs?

Would the stage 2 cobb accessport map work with the swap or would the dyno tune be best?

Anyone running either engines with or without avcs and using the usdm ecu? If so, what kind of tune are you running? Cobb or dyno?
Please refer to my last comment.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #130
2000forester
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456264
Default Jen swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
Swap the cam and crank gears, and intake manifold with all electronics on it and that's it. Your ecu can run AVCS with different roms but you would have to do some wiring. There's your good write up.
Not really there is a lot more needed? My 2004 forester XT doesn't have a drivers side cam gear sensor?? Just a plug where it should be but the JDM does so not plug and play!
2000forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #131
Scoobs17
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325965
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

If my 02 Bugeye is currently wired for an EJ207 V7 with JDM ECU and AVCS wiring kit, can I essentially plug and play a JDM EJ205? Would it be worth going JDM over USDM when it comes to the 205? Thanks!
Scoobs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #132
whycantidrive
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255758
Vehicle:
06 Wrx
Obp

Default What ecu

I have an 03 wrx 5spd. What ECU can i use to run the jdm ej205 with avcs in my car? Like does it have to be from a wrx and does it have to be a 5spd ecu.
whycantidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #133
encryptedballa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122189
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs17 View Post
If my 02 Bugeye is currently wired for an EJ207 V7 with JDM ECU and AVCS wiring kit, can I essentially plug and play a JDM EJ205? Would it be worth going JDM over USDM when it comes to the 205? Thanks!
ej207 and jdm ej205 should be the same avcs harness.

AVCS is a great upgrade and def worth it over a usdm ej205.
encryptedballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #134
thomkase
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 439920
Default Looking for Insight

I have an JDM EJ205 with AVCS swapped into a 2004 Impreza WRX wagon. It runs, but not how it should. It was running super rich before I swapped over an uppipe sensor that I had left off, and now it seems the fuel level is normal, but it still doesn't run how it should.
I have checked the crank & cam pulleys for differences and, as far as I can tell, they are exactly the same number of teeth and the same diameter. I have swapped over the USDM intake manifold. I have also been working with a etuner, and that hasn't seemed to solve the problems fully.
I have read on the forums here that you don't have to make the AVCS functional to get good power out of the motor, and I am alright not having it, mainly because my budget doesn't work for the wiring harness or JDM ecu.
I am hoping to bounce off ideas and get some more info about what I can do to get it running right.
thomkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #135
JDM Racing Motors
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458534

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomkase View Post
I have an JDM EJ205 with AVCS swapped into a 2004 Impreza WRX wagon. It runs, but not how it should. It was running super rich before I swapped over an uppipe sensor that I had left off, and now it seems the fuel level is normal, but it still doesn't run how it should.
I have checked the crank & cam pulleys for differences and, as far as I can tell, they are exactly the same number of teeth and the same diameter. I have swapped over the USDM intake manifold. I have also been working with a etuner, and that hasn't seemed to solve the problems fully.
I have read on the forums here that you don't have to make the AVCS functional to get good power out of the motor, and I am alright not having it, mainly because my budget doesn't work for the wiring harness or JDM ecu.
I am hoping to bounce off ideas and get some more info about what I can do to get it running right.
Here's some ideas:

-Have you checked timing - Rotate engine clockwise till the engine is at TDC (See pic below)

-You should have no problems not running avcs if you're using the USDM intake manifold and ecu, although a clogged oil control valve, located on the top of the valve cover, could cause issues.

-Give us some more info on how its running: Is the engine having trouble idling? Does the engine run well at higher rpms or continue to run badly? Is it misfiring? Are there any CEL codes?

Hope this helps.
JDM Racing Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #136
JdmRacingMotors
Former Vendor

Member#: 193311

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomkase View Post
Here's some ideas:

-Have you checked timing - Rotate engine clockwise till the engine is at TDC (See pic below)

-You should have no problems not running avcs if you're using the USDM intake manifold and ecu, although a clogged oil control valve, located on the top of the valve cover, could cause issues.

-Give us some more info on how its running: Is the engine having trouble idling? Does the engine run well at higher rpms or continue to run badly? Is it misfiring? Are there any CEL codes?

Hope this helps.

JDM Racing Motors Inc
www.jdmracingmotors.com

Last edited by JdmRacingMotors; 12-08-2016 at 09:47 AM.
JdmRacingMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #137
thomkase
Scooby Newbie

Yes I have checked the timing, me and a friend slipped the timing belt trying to remove the crankpully with a breaker bar, switched to and impact and then had to reset the timing. Pretty sure I got everything in the right place (matches the sweet diagram you posted).
And Like I said I've read over and over on here I can run the engine with out AVCS. Just to confirm Yes USDM intake and ecu with no other mods.

How can I check to see if the oil control valve is clogged or not?

I pulled the battery cable to reset the CEL to see what comes up after I added the sensor back to the system. Plan to drive and check them again tonight. I haven't had any feedback so its been awhile since I worked on it. It runs worst when starting to drive, improves as you are at mid rpms, and falls off again at higher.

CEL codes have been pretty consistent:
P0302 Misfire Cylinder 2
P0000 PASS CODE (NO DTC DETECTED)
P1491 PCV (BLOWBY) FUNCTION PROBLEM

I will run codes tonight when I pull it out. I have log capabilities would that be useful to post?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #138
thomkase
Scooby Newbie

Alright so it gives me a blinking CEL when I push over 2500rpm its off when I am at idle and coasting around 2000rpm
Here are the codes it kicks out:
P0302 Misfire Cylinder 2

It Idles fine and sounds normal, but go to drive and it is sluggish starting out, runs pretty normal above 2000rpm, but accelerates terrible all around.

I'm happy to provide any more info or answer any questions, I ran some logs on the drive around tonight if anyone wants to take a look, no 3rd gear pulls though as I have several new inches of snow with more coming down.

Advice and recommendations would be appreciated greatly!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #139
KeifersWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475150
Default In the middle of a swap, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadguy View Post
I just put a JDM ej205 NON-AVCS into my 2002 WRX. It runs great, but needs a tune. The crank and cam gears have to be USDM to use US ecu, as the signals are different. My JDM engine has 9:1 compression instead of 8:1 this is the main reason for the tune. 91 octane will detonate if overboosted into this engine. The shop that will be tuning my car ran the code on the timing cover of the JDM engine and verified the 9:1 compression and told me what year and car it came out of. I kept the JDM turbo and pretty much changed everything else outside the longblock. I cleaned and reused the coolant/oil cooler, contamination is not an issue because the oil is filtered AFTER the cooler. Exhaust and intake manifolds are different. If anyone has questions, let me know.
Did your turbo oil return come out the side or go straight up from the head? I can't install my stock exhaust becau se the JDM oil return comes off the side of the head and is in the way.
KeifersWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #140
Timmaytoyota
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470158

Iíve been trying to figure out why people say th jdm ECU wont pass emissions. My 03 I bought already has a jdm ej205 swapped in with avcs. Currently using the usdm ecu. I pulled the timing covers off to check the cam gears. Iím pretty sure they are the jdm gears. Iím wanting to get the avcs working. But I donít want to have to swap the ECU for inspections. Is it possible to use a usdm sti ECU to control the avcs? That way I wonít have to swap the ECU for emissions testing
Timmaytoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #141
02SWG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482578

Any insight on swapping in a ej205 non avcs into a 02 wax wagon?. I've been researching for hours and found pretty much everything except how to deal with the different ignition system. Do I need to remove the ignition system from my USDM Engine?
02SWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:03 AM   #142
liuyiwei
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485542
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1998 gc8
blue

nice is a good
idea
liuyiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #143
Scoobydoobydude
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468311
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
World Rally Blue!

I just finished a v7 jdm ej205 swap into my 03 wrx. Cranks but will not start. It doesn't sound like it has spark. We also had the fuel lines messed up and hopefully now that's right, feed line to middle nipple?

There is some concern that it is a bad ground. Any ideas where we should start?

It was supposed to be plug and play and everything seems to be plugged in. USDM ECU AVCS not wired yet, just want to get it running. I do have the jdm ecu to swap in if necessary but I was assured it would start with the USDM one.

Please help. I'm spent. been at it for two days straight and go to turn her over and she won't catch!!?!?!

Ask me anything about what we have done and I will do my best to answer.
Scoobydoobydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #144
Cdhrnbstl7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydude View Post
I just finished a v7 jdm ej205 swap into my 03 wrx. Cranks but will not start. It doesn't sound like it has spark. We also had the fuel lines messed up and hopefully now that's right, feed line to middle nipple?

It was supposed to be plug and play and everything seems to be plugged in. USDM ECU AVCS not wired yet, just want to get it running. I do have the jdm ecu to swap in if necessary but I was assured it would start with the USDM one.

Please help. I'm spent. been at it for two days straight and go to turn her over and she won't catch!!?!?!

Did you replace all the major sensors, crank, knock, cam position sensors, from the previous engine? All the sensors need to be usdm. And if you were originally a drive by cable and now using a drive by wire the usdm ecu wonít read the throttle body and wonít tell it to engage the butterfly. My use old intake manifold... you can leave the tgvs... you get more power with the jdm tgvs
Cdhrnbstl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #145
Cdhrnbstl7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydude View Post

Wanna send me a video of what it sounds like starting up as well [email protected] both with no throttle and with full throttle while trying to start
Cdhrnbstl7 is offline   Reply With Quote