Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424843
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default Fixed: 2015+ WRX Clutch Pedal Pop/Knocking

My 2016 WRX has had the most annoying Popping/Knocking noise for the last few months. As you are pressing it down, it would make a pop/knock sound at about 1/4ths and 3/4ths the way down, and then again on the way up. I also found that if you press the brake pedal down all the way hard, it will make the same popping sound, and if you hold it down, the clutch pedal won't make the noise.

I know there is a TSB out there (12-190-15) for creaky clutch pedals, but mine was outside of the production range for that TSB.

I know this is a pretty common problem, as I have heard it in other 2015+ WRX videos, and also experienced it on another as well.

Yesterday, I was finally able to come up with a working fix, and the best part is all you need is 1 washer, and about 15 min of time! Thanks to a thread I found on the FT86 forums:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22

I was able to find something that would fix my issue as well.

There is a bolt above the area where the rod that connects to the clutch pedal attaches to the plunger of the clutch master cylinder. See the Red Circle in the pics above (Ignore Yellow Circles). I found that when I completely removed that bolt, the noises stopped. Since you can't just leave it that way, I tried putting a metal washer (Just a standard metal 3/8s washer) between the metal part of the cars body, and the pedal assembly, then re-installed the bolt, and tightened it to spec. This puts a wedge between the pedal bracket and the mount point. This has completely solved the Popping/Knocking I was hearing from my clutch and brake pedal. Now all I hear is the noisy clutch switches, but those are barley audible.

Hopefully this will help others who also are experiencing this obnoxious noise.
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

So you went between the chassis and the back of the "vertical bracket"?
Did you loosen the 2 bottom nuts (labeled 2 & 3) to get the washer in there?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
So you went between the chassis and the back of the "vertical bracket"?
Did you loosen the 2 bottom nuts (labeled 2 & 3) to get the washer in there?
Yes, I placed the washer between the chassis and bracket. Just removing the bolt labeled 1 gives enough room to slide the washer in there, then I re-installed the bolt through the bracket, then washer, and into the chassis.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Thanks for the clarification, not that I need it, but didn't think there was enough flex to allow it.

Good write up FWIW.
:-)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Good information!

What size is the bolt (not bolt-head)? 8mm?

What is the torque-spec for this bolt?

Thank you.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Good information!

What size is the bolt (not bolt-head)? 8mm?

What is the torque-spec for this bolt?

Thank you.
I am not sure what you are asking about the bolt size. I just re-used the stock bolt, and it was either a 10 or 12mm head, pretty sure it was a 12. Spec is 12ft-lbs. I just tightened by hand without a torque wrench.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
TheShaddix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483333
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
White

Just wanted to update this thread. There was another click I was having that wasn't part of the issue/fix described here. I did initially think this same bolt was the cause, but no... I disconnected the clutch pedal rod from the fork to investigate further. Turned out to be the clutch switch button (the one that enables you to start the car, not the throttle cut switch): the pedal "foot" hits the button on the switch making a clicking noise. Since both are made of metal/hard plastic, it's pretty audible. For picky people like myself I had to find a fix. Now the clutch operation is 100% noise-free. This, plus a small clutch stopper bolt is all i needed to make the shifting more enjoyable (well, plus 5 or so mods for the shifter).
TheShaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
wrxineffect70
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 416532

I had this same problem with my 2015 wrx for over a year - with the clutch pedal squeaking all the time while pressing, then depressing the pedal. This very simple and practically free mod solved my problem! Thank you!!! To think the stealership diagnosed me as needing an entirely new clutch pedal assembly. Thanks for nothing subaru!
wrxineffect70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxineffect70 View Post
I had this same problem with my 2015 wrx for over a year - with the clutch pedal squeaking all the time while pressing, then depressing the pedal. This very simple and practically free mod solved my problem! Thank you!!! To think the stealership diagnosed me as needing an entirely new clutch pedal assembly. Thanks for nothing subaru!
Glad it helped! Just an update, the noise hasn't come back for me since I did this fix 10 months ago!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
arginh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 172424
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
Just wanted to update this thread. There was another click I was having that wasn't part of the issue/fix described here. I did initially think this same bolt was the cause, but no... I disconnected the clutch pedal rod from the fork to investigate further. Turned out to be the clutch switch button (the one that enables you to start the car, not the throttle cut switch): the pedal "foot" hits the button on the switch making a clicking noise. Since both are made of metal/hard plastic, it's pretty audible. For picky people like myself I had to find a fix. Now the clutch operation is 100% noise-free. This, plus a small clutch stopper bolt is all i needed to make the shifting more enjoyable (well, plus 5 or so mods for the shifter).
How did you fix the sound from the switch button?
arginh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
rmalmoe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 408421

My 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon just started having this same exact problem. Incredibly loud mechanical clicking sounds when depressing the clutch. After a week it started squeaking as well. Fixed it tonight and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Hopefully it sticks. Thank you so much for the genius idea!
rmalmoe is offline   Reply With Quote