Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Kirby10
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300139
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2010 STi
Spark Silver

Default Flex Fuel option from Cobb

Is there any updates if Cobb will be coming out for a Flex Fuel option for Subaru like they are working on for GTR?
Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kirby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
atomicfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136296
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Midtown, Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Default

Would also love to see this. I believe we can use our TGV position inputs for 0-5v reference for the linear scale for the E85 content...I think the RomRaider guys have been playing with this for a bit.
atomicfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Kirby10
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300139
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2010 STi
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfire View Post
Would also love to see this. I believe we can use our TGV position inputs for 0-5v reference for the linear scale for the E85 content...I think the RomRaider guys have been playing with this for a bit.
I think Ecutek has also been playing with it
Kirby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
atomicfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136296
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Midtown, Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby10 View Post
I think Ecutek has also been playing with it
ECUTek already has it as a feature. Don't know how they have it implemented, but I think it is also the TGV input. Anyone know anything about it?
atomicfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Default

This is something we do want to look into once we get a few bigger projects knocked out. I don't have any details at this time, but check back with us in a couple months and we'll see where we are at.

- Chris
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
atomicfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136296
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Midtown, Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
This is something we do want to look into once we get a few bigger projects knocked out. I don't have any details at this time, but check back with us in a couple months and we'll see where we are at.

- Chris
Hey, if you ever need someone to product test, I would be practically beating down your door to test this. Easy access to E85 in Houston, educated as an engineer and always tinkering with the car, and I can provide great feedback. It would be great to see true flex fuel instead of this "put in E85 and hope it actually is 85% ethanol" crap.
atomicfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Kirby10
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300139
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2010 STi
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
This is something we do want to look into once we get a few bigger projects knocked out. I don't have any details at this time, but check back with us in a couple months and we'll see where we are at. - Chris
I would also be willing to Beta test a flex fuel option if it becomes available. Thanks for the response back Chris.
Kirby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #8
Deek
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145458
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Coachella Valley
Vehicle:
2008 rdkls STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
This is something we do want to look into once we get a few bigger projects knocked out. I don't have any details at this time, but check back with us in a couple months and we'll see where we are at.

- Chris
"Thirding" the offer to beta test with this. Also posting in all of the threads regarding Cobb & flexfuel to subscribe.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
mazdan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322018
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Default

Any updates on this? I'm very interested in running flex fuel.
mazdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdan View Post
Any updates on this? I'm very interested in running flex fuel.
Nothing new to report quite yet. We are getting to the tail end of some of those big projects I mentioned earlier. Once those are busted out, we will be looking into a couple new features including flex fuel.

- Chris
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
calebw15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358808
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, nc
Vehicle:
2003 Hybrid WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Nothing new to report quite yet. We are getting to the tail end of some of those big projects I mentioned earlier. Once those are busted out, we will be looking into a couple new features including flex fuel.

- Chris
Shouldn't this be a fairly easy feature to tackle? With realtime tuning currently available it would seem fairly simple if the accessport was connected to the car 24/7 and an e85 sensor was connected to the accessport that the accessport could make timing corrections at any time due to the current ethanol percentage.
calebw15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
slide
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1130
Join Date: Mar 2000
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
DGM

Default

It would also be fuel delivery volume as well. Maybe even allowable boost...I'm not a tuner, unless it's a su carb or a motocross bike...so I'm just presuming. I would love to have flex fuel
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #13
ninjaboy76
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33456
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebw15 View Post
Shouldn't this be a fairly easy feature to tackle? With realtime tuning currently available it would seem fairly simple if the accessport was connected to the car 24/7 and an e85 sensor was connected to the accessport that the accessport could make timing corrections at any time due to the current ethanol percentage.
The sensor would be connected some how to the ecu and give ethanol content data to the ecu thus changing the tune as it reads the ethanol content. The tune would still be flashed onto the ecu by the AP. Ecutek already offers an ethanol package, but I went with cobb because of the possibility of having access to tuning features once released for my model year.
ninjaboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
Trae32566
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353990
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Nothing new to report quite yet. We are getting to the tail end of some of those big projects I mentioned earlier. Once those are busted out, we will be looking into a couple new features including flex fuel.

- Chris
Well now that it's October I'm curious if you guys have seen any progress (or the end of most of the projects). Oh, sign me up for the testing also, I'm about 3 miles from Cobb Tuning Plano.
Trae32566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Deek
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145458
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Coachella Valley
Vehicle:
2008 rdkls STi

Default

I switched over to EcuTek with Bill at Delicious Tuning. I've been running (testing) his setup (sensor/controller) since 2014.09.12; so far so good, not a single issue and I've run all sorts of combinations (E70/E90/91Oct/etc). He'll be releasing his Flex Fuel setup in the near future.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Sp2Pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267212
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SL,UT
Vehicle:
2015 FXT

Default

Just checking in on this for an update from COBB.......I am VERY interested.
Sp2Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Deek
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145458
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Coachella Valley
Vehicle:
2008 rdkls STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp2Pilot View Post
Just checking in on this for an update from COBB.......I am VERY interested.
/cynicaltime

Don't hold your breath, Cobb is undoubtedly corporate now - pushing hardware and components hard. Very money oriented decisions being made (can't fault them for this), and there is far more money in the GTR world (per part) than the Subaru* world. The only saving grace for the latter is that we have a larger base. I still don't think we'll be seeing this from Cobb any time soon though.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #18
Cefaln452
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 255736
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2004 STi
JavaBlackPearl

Default

I'd love this to happen. I want to run e85 again on my new build, but would like the friendliness of flex fuel.

Sadpanda :/
Cefaln452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
Trae32566
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353990
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
/cynicaltime

Don't hold your breath, Cobb is undoubtedly corporate now - pushing hardware and components hard. Very money oriented decisions being made (can't fault them for this), and there is far more money in the GTR world (per part) than the Subaru* world. The only saving grace for the latter is that we have a larger base. I still don't think we'll be seeing this from Cobb any time soon though.
I agree, and unfortunately I've only been in this game for a year and a half, so it saddens me that I never got to see them before now (I've heard legends). I've seen them give some ... interesting advice. In particular the 'Motul is teh best always' banter, and while I agree that Motul is great, and probably one of the best oils, the truth of the matter is that there are other options just as good and a few even better. The thing I hate about it is that they're pushing Motul X-Cess and telling me it's better than Redline 5w-40 and many other oils.

Comparing the datasheets and the UOAs Redline runs a HT/HS of 4.4mPa.s, whereas Motul X-Cess is 3.7 mPa.s (both good, but a .7 increase is massive for the same price), and the NOACK volatility isn't even listed for Motul. Oh, the real shocker, 300V is still lower at 4.1mPa.s than Redline (and possibly Rotella T6, but no official published numbers exist, speculation is 4.0-4.2). Also, if you're wondering about zinc content (or others) my UOA is linked at the bottom. I wonder if when Cobb responds they'll touch base on this, I hate it when I'm given wrong information by a shop, and I hate it even more when I try to explain and they don't understand a word I'm saying. Educate your sales team!

Sources:
Redline Oils datasheet
Motul X-Cess 5w-40 datasheet
Motul 300V Power
Redline 5w-40 UOA

Last edited by Trae32566; 10-02-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Trae32566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
/cynicaltime

Don't hold your breath, Cobb is undoubtedly corporate now - pushing hardware and components hard. Very money oriented decisions being made (can't fault them for this), and there is far more money in the GTR world (per part) than the Subaru* world. The only saving grace for the latter is that we have a larger base. I still don't think we'll be seeing this from Cobb any time soon though.
You should see the suit I'm wearing to work today, it's made of pure qiviuk wool!

Subaru is still our biggest vehicle platform and still the most dominate car in our parking lot at HQ. Flex Fuel and other GT-R like features are on the Subaru to-do list. Keep in mind that with our Realtime map switching (nobody else has Realtime tuning), you can create different maps for varying ethanol content and quickly flash to any of those maps as needed (store up to around 100 maps on AP). That is certainly a useable solution that you can currently take advantage of in the meantime. We also just got a brand new car in our shop called the 2015 Subaru WRX. Turns out it has an all new engine and ECU, so all of our engineers are working pretty hard on that.

In some ways, being a "huge corporate" company would be awesome because then we'd just throw $100 dollar bills at the problem and it would fix itself. Instead, we're using our current bad ass engineering team and the only trade-off is a little extra time.

We have retail locations with tons of experience using different oils in different climates and regions. There will always be varying opinions on the classic "What is the best oil?" question, but I'll pass along the info sheets to our Retail sales guys and our CSR team at HQ for their info and use.

We're working on Flex Fuel and more for Subaru and it will be easier to use and available through more Protuners than anything available right now. No ETA and probably not by the end of this year, but keep asking and we'll keep answering with as much info as we have.

Ian

Last edited by Cobb Tuning; 10-02-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Trae32566
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353990
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
You should see the suit I'm wearing to work today, it's made of pure qiviuk wool!

Subaru is still our biggest vehicle platform and still the most dominate car in our parking lot at HQ. Flex Fuel and other GT-R like features are on the Subaru to-do list. Keep in mind that with our Realtime map switching (nobody else has Realtime tuning), you can create different maps for varying ethanol content and quickly flash to any of those maps as needed (store up to around 100 maps on AP). That is certainly a useable solution that you can currently take advantage of in the meantime. We also just got a brand new car in our shop called the 2015 Subaru WRX. Turns out it has an all new engine and ECU, so all of our engineers are working pretty hard on that.

In some ways, being a "huge corporate" company would be awesome because then we'd just throw $100 dollar bills at the problem and it would fix itself. Instead, we're using our current bad ass engineering team and the only trade-off is a little extra time.

We have retail locations with tons of experience using different oils in different climates and regions. There will always be varying opinions on the classic "What is the best oil?" question, but I'll pass along the info sheets to our Retail sales guys and our CSR team at HQ for their info and use.

We're working on Flex Fuel and more for Subaru and it will be easier to use and available through more Protuners than anything available right now. No ETA and probably not by the end of this year, but keep asking and we'll keep answering with as much info as we have.

Ian
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with what they use, I just think a bit more research on their part should be done before telling me (or other customers) that what they're using is not good. I can give specific examples, but I'd really rather not mention names or locations (I've lived near two, so don't assume!), PM me if you'd like more info. BTW, the APv3 seems to have a problem for me with sticking to the dash but at the same time I've found the subaru dash to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to sticking things to it. I think it's probably the weird texture of the dash

Also, you're not the only one with realtime tuning (granted, it only works for 01-04): http://www.ecutek.com/Products/Featu...er-Tuning.aspx

Last edited by Trae32566; 10-06-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Trae32566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
arco
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57156
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: socal
Vehicle:
2007 V.8 207 STi
Mercedes Polar White

Default

I am very much hoping this will happen. I have hopes for this by the first quarter of next year
arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
SleepingJake
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347499
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MN
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Spark Silver

Default

I'd love to see this as well. I'm from MN so we get all 3 blends of E85 here, I'm looking to convert over to E85 after I'm done with stage 2 and it would be nice to not be paranoid about the SIX changes of ethanol blends in a year.
SleepingJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
Renagade187
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145427
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: The Woodlands
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX STI
WR Blue

Default

I spoke with Neil at Cobb Plano the other day, he actually mentioned that flex fuel is in the future, I diddnt even bring it up.

So I am assuming its not too far away.
Renagade187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
IrishCountry23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387838
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: South Bend , Indiana
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
You should see the suit I'm wearing to work today, it's made of pure qiviuk wool!

Subaru is still our biggest vehicle platform and still the most dominate car in our parking lot at HQ. Flex Fuel and other GT-R like features are on the Subaru to-do list. Keep in mind that with our Realtime map switching (nobody else has Realtime tuning), you can create different maps for varying ethanol content and quickly flash to any of those maps as needed (store up to around 100 maps on AP). That is certainly a useable solution that you can currently take advantage of in the meantime. We also just got a brand new car in our shop called the 2015 Subaru WRX. Turns out it has an all new engine and ECU, so all of our engineers are working pretty hard on that.

In some ways, being a "huge corporate" company would be awesome because then we'd just throw $100 dollar bills at the problem and it would fix itself. Instead, we're using our current bad ass engineering team and the only trade-off is a little extra time.

We have retail locations with tons of experience using different oils in different climates and regions. There will always be varying opinions on the classic "What is the best oil?" question, but I'll pass along the info sheets to our Retail sales guys and our CSR team at HQ for their info and use.

We're working on Flex Fuel and more for Subaru and it will be easier to use and available through more Protuners than anything available right now. No ETA and probably not by the end of this year, but keep asking and we'll keep answering with as much info as we have.

Ian

I believe you won that argument. You guys do a great job. I could only imagine how much work has to be done to stay on top of the new vehicles as well as the not so new. I can't wait for the E85 platform . Keep us posted please.


-Robert

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
IrishCountry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.