Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday May 28, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #3751
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Don't Subaru short. It's "RAW" power.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #3752
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2019 EA888 Gen3 crew

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
well this is all completely true.

but revving to fuel cut is not typically smart, but your point is totally valid
I just don't understand why are people harping on the tach redline photo without any actual numbers. Does anyone even know what is the size or type of the turbocharger used on this new WRX ?
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #3753
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Nobody is harping on redline. The lack of power output for a higher displacement deserves to be harped on considering this is a WRX. The Legacy is making more torque with the same engine.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #3754
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: snoco wa
Vehicle:
20 Yami XSR
fast leaf

Default

yeah, it's the whole package that's concerning to me, not the redline specifically. Not time to dismiss the new engine entirely as we haven't seen dyno results or anything, but it's not looking great.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #3755
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Nobody is harping on redline. The lack of power output for a higher displacement deserves to be harped on considering this is a WRX. The Legacy is making more torque with the same engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
yeah, it's the whole package that's concerning to me, not the redline specifically. Not time to dismiss the new engine entirely as we haven't seen dyno results or anything, but it's not looking great.
The only thing that could redeem FA24DIT in my eyes would be FLAWLESS operation on 91 Cali gas: full, unabated, rated power and torque without ANY knocking/pinging or any weird ignition timing or boost shenanigans.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #3756
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
20 Audi S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg_matnik View Post
The only thing that could redeem FA24DIT in my eyes would be FLAWLESS operation on 91 Cali gas: full, unabated, rated power and torque without ANY knocking/pinging or any weird ignition timing or boost shenanigans.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #3757
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
RWD Camry
Pull me over red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I'm not quite so sure that's true either. I've been crunching the numbers using basic math and it doesn't add up to anything meaningful in my opinion.

The 2.0 WRX revs to 6700 RPM with 268 HP @5600 RPM and 258 LB-FT from 2000-5200 RPM.

The 2.4 WRX revs to 6100 RPM with 271 HP @5600 RPM and 258 LB-FT from 2000-5200 RPM.
I need you to link me to where you got that info; neither engine hits peak torque at 2,000RPM and neither can hold peak torque until 5,200RPM.

The FA20 in the WRX hits peak torque around 2,900RPM, and is close to peak torque until about 4,000RPM and then it falls off consistently for the remainder of the rev range.

We don't have a dyno for the FA24 in the 2022 WRX yet, but a bump in displacement is going to result in a wider and flatter torque curve.

The FA24 in the Ascent hits peak torque at 2,300RPM and is at near-peak numbers, and essentially "flat" until 4,800RPM, and although that's where it starts to decline, it is still making more torque to redline than the FA20 does.
Yes the FA24 in the Ascent has a different tune on it than it will/does in the 2022 WRX based on the published peak horsepower and torque figures, but it's reasonable to assume the WRX torque curve is not going to be drastically different than the Ascents as the two engines are nearly identical.

cliff notes:
The FA24 hits peak torque 600RPM sooner than the FA20.
The FA24 is putting out near-peak torque 800RPM longer than the FA20.
The FA24 has more torque all the way to redline than the FA20.
The FA24 has way "more area under the curve" than the FA20.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #3758
fredzy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX, 22 GR86
15 Sienna

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
The redline in my WRX was 6,700 RPM. The engine was all but done by 6,500 RPM. We don't know the fuel cut on the 2022 or how well it will hold power or how much more power it makes vs FA20.
You're WRONG, sir! WRONG! The engine was all but done by 5,500 RPM, if that. At least it sure is in my car.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #3759
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2019 EA888 Gen3 crew

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
You're WRONG, sir! WRONG! The engine was all but done by 5,500 RPM, if that. At least it sure is in my car.
Not in mine but whatever you say. I miss the FA20, it pulled much harder than the EA888 up top, that's for sure but Subaru bad so continue on.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #3760
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2019 EA888 Gen3 crew

Default

6-6.5k

Last edited by Straight6; 12-11-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #3761
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

More power pulled harder? The cult of obvious.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #3762
porusski
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527254
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
Not in mine but whatever you say. I miss the FA20, it pulled much harder than the EA888 up top, that's for sure but Subaru bad so continue on.

The one in the GTI or R? Really looking at buying an R since the WRX isnít aggressive
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #3763
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2019 EA888 Gen3 crew

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porusski View Post
The one in the GTI or R? Really looking at buying an R since the WRX isnít aggressive
IS20 so GTI, but I wouldn't waste my money on the R. It is grossly overpriced.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #3764
porusski
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527254
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
IS20 so GTI, but I wouldn't waste my money on the R. It is grossly overpriced.

Lmao how in the world? Itís like $4K more than a loaded GTI. And every R comes fully loaded. Obviously itís way more car than the 2022 WRX, so many more features like a heads up display and ventilated leather seats and rear ventilation and rear heated seats, wireless CarPlay, and a lot more. Very worth the ~$9K over a WRX GT.
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #3765
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

While also being a hatchback.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #3766
porusski
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527254
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default 2022 Subaru WRX Official Announcement

In Canada especially, itís $35K USD. $10K off. If I get the cash, I feel like I should buy it out there and go through the hassle of importing it to the US.
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #3767
h3llsp4wn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373546
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NorCal 707 to 916
Vehicle:
2015 wrx limited
crystal black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
Not in mine but whatever you say. I miss the FA20, it pulled much harder than the EA888 up top, that's for sure but Subaru bad so continue on.
The EA888 is a superior engine in every way imaginable
h3llsp4wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #3768
ProZach626
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186084
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Metro East
Vehicle:
2018 STI
SWP

Default

I can't imagine paying over 35K for an optioned out WRX GT, when you're within 6-7k of a Golf R. The lower level WRX trims don't offer an equal comparison. The cost savings have to be factored in, but I feel a loaded trim WRX GT comparison is fair. There will likely be a vast difference between the two, worth the extra money.

For those who can't get the financing for the R, or spare cash, you probably should be looking at either one.
ProZach626 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #3769
porusski
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527254
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Interesting, good to hear. If yíall can elaborate on the specifics thatíd be nice.
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #3770
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2019 EA888 Gen3 crew

Default

A lot of is relative, but if you are shopping for the R, DSG is the way to go. The 6 speed is a carry over from the MK7 and it really isn't a great manual transmission. You can watch the latest SavageGeese take on the MK8R, I think they nailed it. The R here is around 44K start so you are quickly coming up to 50 grand out the door, this is not counting market adjustment BS and if the MK8 GTI is an indication, you will likely not even be able to get one for under 60 grand for a while as they are asking nearly 50K for the AB GTI...

For me: The WRX is a bigger car with a true AWD system. It is safer and has an actually usable trunk if you have rear seat passengers. The 6 speed is also better IMO. A 6 speed premium trim for under 35K would be an unmatched value. It check all the boxes for a lot less but I am not interested in automatic and if I would be forced into one that I can get the Tesla 3 performance for similar price as the R and it would absolutely demolish it acceleration wise. Again, everyone has different wants and needs, just my opinion.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #3771
porusski
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 527254
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default 2022 Subaru WRX Official Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
A lot of is relative, but if you are shopping for the R, DSG is the way to go. The 6 speed is a carry over from the MK7 and it really isn't a great manual transmission. You can watch the latest SavageGeese take on the MK8R, I think they nailed it. The R here is around 44K start so you are quickly coming up to 50 grand out the door, this is not counting market adjustment BS and if the MK8 GTI is an indication, you will likely not even be able to get one for under 60 grand for a while as they are asking nearly 50K for the AB GTI...

For me: The WRX is a bigger car with a true AWD system. It is safer and has an actually usable trunk if you have rear seat passengers. The 6 speed is also better IMO. A 6 speed premium trim for under 35K would be an unmatched value. It check all the boxes for a lot less but I am not interested in automatic and if I would be forced into one that I can get the Tesla 3 performance for similar price as the R and it would absolutely demolish it acceleration wise. Again, everyone has different wants and needs, just my opinion.

Yeah, for me I just need that exhaust and paddle shifters. Canít even get started on build quality. I feel like the R will ride 10db lower at 85mph too compared to the 3.
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #3772
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Need 5 door.
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #3773
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
Need 5 door.
You gonna join us in the Potential GR Corolla Club?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #3774
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
You gonna join us in the Potential GR Corolla Club?
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #3775
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
You gonna join us in the Potential GR Corolla Club?
Sign me up.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.