Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 13, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
Jakeafer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478590
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default ?!Coolant leak from Turbo Oil Return Line!? - [LONG STORY]

Bought a Forester XT 04 121K miles with a blown turbo[Blowing grey-white smoke from exhaust and turbo area of engine bay]. Replaced the turbo with a used turbo from a wrx 06 TDO4L turbo. Still puffing light white smoke, billows of greyish-white thin smoke[Synthetic 5w-30] past 1500RPM So it could also be oil burning. However, white synthetic smoke and oil burning didn't occur to me. I presumed a head gasket blew and it was steam. Got new valves, lapped and reseated the valves, resurfaced the head, kissed the cams with 600 grit[minimal-light scoring], swapped the gaskets[None of the gaskets seemed to be quite blown but well on the way to failure]. Piece it all back together, new cam seals, timing belt kit, water pump, fuel injector seals, all of it. I bought a stainless steel oil feed line to the turbo and cleaned all my oil filters in my banjo bolts. So then we go to start the car and it all seems good, then oil burn from the turbo area after idling for 5 minutes and still greyish white smoke from the exhaust past 1500RPM. So then we check the turbo if it's still good, nanoscopic play on the shaft, basically none and no signs of damage. However there was coking on the intlet turbine, so we check the PCV valve and it's not rattling, clean it with brake cleaner and try again. FINALLY turbo oil smoke from the turbo area of the engine bay was gone... But now we were getting steam... ****, so then we notice the oil return hose wasn't properly clamped annnd leaking coolant????? For disclosure while checking the turbo I blew into the oil return line until air escaped and sprayed it with brake part cleaner, did I **** up and do I need to rebuild my turbo. I'm clueless about turbos, even after watching countless turbo education videos. Thanks for your time, opinions are wholesomely welcome!
Jakeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links