Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-30-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875
Default Edit: all done

I'm going to try to do this, but the cam on the bolt and the hole in the spindle are a really random size. I thought the bolt would be 16mm, but it's ~16.35. The closest bit to that is 16.5mm, which is a bit bigger than the hole in the spindle right now. That .15mm of difference looks like it will give me more play than there is in the top hole. Am I just being anal? It doesn't work out to be a non-metric size either.

I have STi struts which only get me -0.7 deg camber in the front and -1.5 in the rear with bolts. I want more than that up front. I'd rather not use small bolts and camber plates are a bit pricey.

The other downside of the 16.5mm bit is that it doesn't come with a reduced shank. So I'll have to bring my spindles in to work and put them on the drill press. Oh well I was planning on bringing the struts in to slot with the endmill anyway.

I've heard some people have done this. If you're out there what did you do?

Last edited by jamal; 11-29-2006 at 08:26 PM.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

...save for the plates
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
jamal
Scooby Guru

That would be nice, but the cost is $40 max vs $400 for the RCE plates. I'm going to get the 16.5mm bit and drill out a spindle I have laying around and see what happens.

Edit: It is definitely 16.5mm. My new drill bit fits in the top hole very snugly.

Last edited by jamal; 09-30-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Nice You'll have to "oblong" the lower flange holes in the strut as well- I think (think) you'll want to "oblong" each end of the lower hole (like the upper ones) so it's center remains the same.

<---- thinking about doing this in addition to my plates
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
jamal
Scooby Guru

well, since they're staying in the same position they don't have to be like the top hole, although I can't just drill them out either.

What I need to do is take out the material in red:

This way the bolt will only fit through the strut in the maxed out negative position. There's an endmill at work with a digital readout, so I'm going to slot the holes by 2.5mm and then drill it out. I may even make some shims if I think it's necessary to slot at a few degrees upwards.

The nice thing is that I have an old strut and spindle so I'm going to do a test run Tuesday.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

I see- that true- leave them at full negative and use the uppers to adjust- very good idea

Staying tuned
Old 10-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
jamal
Scooby Guru

Progress. The pictures are not good because my digital camera is broken or something and I had to use my phone:

That new 16.5mm drill bit went throught the knuckle like buttah.

okay, now how far did I want to mill out the strut?

Exactly 2.5mm

Then I just moved it back to 1.25mm, put the drill bit in, and tadow:

The bottom bolt can rotate about 20 degrees but is very snug. I think the slot was a little off center so the hole ended up being pointed down slightly. Doesn't seem that it would cause a problem though.

My only problem is that I want to drill out the knuckles while they're on the car because of all the stuff I'll have to take apart to remove them. So far my best idea is to try to mill down the shank of the drill bit on the lathe. I'll try it next week. It might take awhile with the high speed steel bit but I only need to remove like 1/8"

Last edited by jamal; 10-09-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

nice the ability to do it on the "ground" would be very handy- unless a guy happened to be replacing wheel bearings or something and had the knuckles off anyways.

I wonder if someone makes a reduced shank 16.5mm?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
jamal
Scooby Guru

Not that I could find. I ended up getting this bit from McMaster-carr, which conviently has a location 20min away so I just will-called it and drove over. Maybe in any other country I could get one without too much trouble.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

I found some reduced shank bits 1/2 and 3/8" in 21/32"- comes out to .6562, 16.5mm to .6496 difference of only .006- hmmmmm
Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
jamal
Scooby Guru

I was considering that, but instead decided to do this:

now it fits in my drill. Tomorrow I'll take the struts off and drill the knuckles, assuming my friend is back from the trade show to take me to work Thursday.

Also I got a sweet package today:

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
jamal
Scooby Guru

alright well I'm doing it for real now. Drilled the knuckles out on the car without too much trouble, and I'm bringing the struts in to work to put on the mill tomorrow.

Progress:

Done:

It goes a bit more smoothly on a press but it worked fine with the hand drill.

It would be nice if I had a real working camera and not a phone to document this with but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Last edited by jamal; 10-14-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Looking good
Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
fliz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30342

Nice work, but completely unnecessary.

All you need to do is slot the holes in the strut and reuse the stock bolts.

I had my struts slotted two years ago, so I have -2.5 camber up front, and have never had them slip on me.
fliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
jamal
Scooby Guru

it's not really a whole lot of extra work from slotting the struts, and I know that there is no way for them to slip. All I need to do is widen out a couple of holes. It's not something I'd recommend for someone without access to an endmill and lathe, but turning the bit and drilling out the knuckles took less than an hour in total.

Although I suppose slotting would have allowed me to get even more neg. camber. With this I'll get an additional 1.13 degrees so I'm hoping to hit -2.

I've got my struts in the back of my friend's car so I'll mill them out after work and hopefully be able to drive myself tomorrow.

Last edited by jamal; 10-12-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #16
jamal
Scooby Guru

okay I'm done. The struts turned out perfectly, but unfortunately I didn't have time to put everything back together yet. Looks like I'm carpooling again tomorrow. Once I had the strut firmly clamped down and level it was really easy to slot/widen the struts. Here's the one blurry picture I took:

Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

If you wouldn't mind could you snap a closeup of the lower hole you milled?

Is the orientation the same as the upper hole?

And you only did the one side correct-thus preventing any adj of the lower bolt?

If careful one could do this w/ a die grinder/dremel?

TIA
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #18
jamal
Scooby Guru

Yes, it's just the one hole and the bolt will only fit in there one way. I took out the material I highlighted in red in that first picture.

That picture isn't quite on center but you can see how the hole is a bit bigger. If I can get my camera to work I'll take a better picture before I do the install.

I wouldn't want to try to do this by hand. Once I had it clamped down properly it took less than 5 minutes of work, so it probably wouldn't be too expensive at a machine shop. The hole was 14mm, so I took a 1/2 bit (~13mm), zeroed the readout with it at the edge of the hole, and milled out 2.5mm. Then I backed it off a bit, widened my slot to match the width of the hole, switched to the drill bit, and drilled out the hole.

Last edited by jamal; 10-13-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #19
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Thanks.

The machine shop I have near by usually ends up gouging me pretty good

I might have to explore the "big city" a little more next time I'm there.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
jamal
Scooby Guru

I assume by big city you mean Billings? I'm from Missoula. Anyway I don't think it would be too hard to find someone to do it, especially if you brought the stuff in and were just like, "hey, can you mill these holes out really quick? I'll give you $20"

Oh, and it started raining on me this evening before I could finish. Hard. That was fun times getting soaked and drying my tools off under the overhang. Note to self: don't spread your stuff out all over the driveway especially when it's cloudy. Plus the driver's side ball joint doesn't really want to come out of the control arm. I'm replacing them while I'm in there because the right one is bad.

On the plus side I did get one strut on and it fit perfectly.

Last edited by jamal; 10-14-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Go Griz - my old alma marta

Yup- have done the rain scramble before
Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #22
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSKYWRX View Post
Go Griz - my old alma marta

Yup- have done the rain scramble before
...rain scramble

the only thing I usually worry about is getting electrocuted by my drop light....gotta get one of those new cordless, LED ones for xmas
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #23
jamal
Scooby Guru

Alright I'm done. Here are a few more pictures of the strut and bolt:

All done:

Now I should probably get the alignment checked.

Last edited by jamal; 03-15-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #24
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Be very interested in the #'s you get w/ this setup.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #25
jamal
Scooby Guru

Haven't gotten the alignement checked yet but I might have time tomorrow after work. By just looking at the car there seems to be more negative camber than the 1.5 in the rear.

What I did do was take it for a drive and wow does the car feel great. I couldn't really push it but there is definitely more grip up front. The endlinks seem to have made the car more resposive too. I'm very happy with how things turned out. Next up I'm going to try a bigger front swaybar. Currently I have 18mm front and rear and am shopping for a 20mm LGT bar. Someday I should get some real tires.

Last edited by jamal; 10-17-2006 at 01:26 AM.