|11-14-2006, 07:05 PM||#1|
*** Banned ***
Join Date: Nov 2006
Please critique my resume (UPDATED)
B.S., My University, May 2006
Majors: Computer Science, Mathematics
GPA (in major): 3.74
• Languages: Java, C++, C, scheme
• Technologies: SQL, Swing, XML, HTML
• Tools: Eclipse, Clearcase, gcc, jdk
• Experience with both Windows and Linux environments
ABC Corporation, 7/06 – 11/06
Associate Software Engineer
• Integrated new functionality and extended existing test framework for PRODUCT; a web-based client-server program for monitoring ABC storage arrays. Work was done using Java.
• Fixed bugs to meet defect quota for console 2.1
My University – Math dept., Summer 05 and Summer 04
• Wrote programs and designed algorithms for measuring properties of 2d and 3d objects represented by a sampling of points. All work was done in C/C++.
• Designed programs to generate detailed 2 and 3-dimensional test data. Used such data for performance and correctness testing across multiple algorithms.
• Removed dependence on proprietary library in existing project code base.
Data structures, algorithms, database systems, computer networking, artificial intelligence, computer architecture, operating systems, probability & statistics, scientific computing, 2d and 3d graphics programming
• Led a small team in designing and implementing an e-commerce website for a class project. Work was done using php, mysql, and apache.
• Implemented 3d renderers using both ray tracing and z-buffering techniques in C++.
• Chosen to speak to introductory-level CS students about “life in the major” (March 2006, My University)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Last edited by ayesir123; 11-14-2006 at 10:15 PM.
|11-14-2006, 07:20 PM||#7|
Join Date: Nov 2001
2008 Infiniti G35X
2011 BMW X5 Diesel
wtf you bumped this thread while it was on the front page?!
You have any leadership experience in school?
Do you value your technical skills higher than your work experience?
The summary part is pointless... either put an objective or take it out.
Organize your coursework... its just all jumbled up right now.
And where are you that you dont have a job yet? You must be in the wrong place because around me programmer positions are all over the place.
|11-14-2006, 07:22 PM||#8|
Join Date: Jun 2004
Here's my resume if you need an example. Note the organization and syntax used. Everything is relevant, everything fits neatly into a category, and everything is explained in some detail.
Senior Space System Analyst, Jacobs Sverdrup Engineering
2003-Present HEADQUARTERS AIR FORCE, PENTAGON
- Program lead for the development of highly technical Air Force space programs worth over $900M
- Coordinated efforts between top-level defense organizations to expedite new satellite programs through the defense acquisition process
- Established conceptual framework and common vision for new program teams to focus technology development on meeting national military objectives
- Led procedural changes to the defense acquisition process, reducing program wait time by over 25%
- Top performer award (2005)
Section Head, Naval Force Education and Training Branch, U.S. Navy
2000-2003 NAVAL NETWORK AND SPACE OPERATIONS COMMAND, DAHLGREN, VA
- Managed training and readiness programs
- Designed, implemented, and evaluated technical training programs for over 24 organizations
- Decentralized the training process and created in-house training teams across various units, saving significant travel costs and man-hours
- Compiled and edited technical publications, including The Naval Warfighter’s Guide to Space (2002) and the Naval Space Correspondence Course (2001)
- Awarded the Navy Achievement Medal for excellence in training program development
Executive Officer, U.S. Navy
2002 SPACE AND INFORMATION OPERATIONS ELEMENT, UNITED STATES CENTRAL COMMAND, TAMPA, FL
- Authored daily operations briefings for the Commander of United States Central Command
- Managed all administrative and manpower functions for a division of over 25 personnel
- Awarded the Joint Service Achievement Medal for outstanding performance
Hazardous Material Division Officer, U.S. Navy
1997-2000 USS CONSTELLATION, SAN DIEGO, CA
- Led 18 personnel in managing all business processes for inventory worth over $500,000
- Managed 11 storerooms, 2 plastic waste processing rooms, 1 incinerator, and all hazardous materials storage onboard the aircraft carrier
- Established aggressive recycling programs, reducing at-sea discharge of plastic waste by over 60%
- Awarded the Navy Achievement Medal for superior performance
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Arizona (1996)
- Master of Business Administration, University of Mary Washington (2003)
-- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities Award (2003-2004)
OTHER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- (Security clearance info)
- CPR/AED qualified (5/2006)
|11-14-2006, 07:27 PM||#9|
*** Banned ***
Join Date: Nov 2006
Nice resume HOV. I'm in a different boat though, i need to emphasize my education and skills because I have < 1 year work experience. What do you think of my reusme?
|11-14-2006, 07:40 PM||#10|
Join Date: Jun 2004
Data structures and algorhythms:
- Led a small team in designing and implementing an e-commerce website (Univserity of Massachusets, 2005)
- Integrated new functionality and extended existing test framework in JAVA for PRODUCT; a web-based client-server program for monitoring COMPANY storage arrays. (The Corp, 2005)
Just roll all your work experience under the Tech Skills header and lose the work experience section altogether. That will make you look more experienced and more tech-oriented.
Also, lose all references to "student", "school", etc. The stuff you did in college was for the University of Mass.
Get rid of the summary, unless you're applying for a specific position. They all know what you want, and you're cutting yourself short anyway by asking for an entry-level position.
|11-14-2006, 10:27 PM||#12|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OHVehicle:
Crystal Gray Metallic
It's much improved from this morning. Remember, you can tailor it to each job you apply for, highlighting the skills they need. Next, start polishing up on your interviewing skills.
|11-15-2006, 11:08 AM||#16|
Join Date: Feb 2002
2002 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|please critique my Resume||ayesir123||Off-Topic||29||11-14-2006 02:30 PM|
|OT: Please Critique my resume||DrDRum||Off-Topic||25||07-20-2005 05:48 PM|
|OT please critique my resume||suprsubepower||Off-Topic||17||03-23-2004 05:15 PM|
|IT/Developers please critique my resume||maaw||Off-Topic||9||08-22-2003 04:16 PM|
|anyone willing to critique my resume?||jlyttle||New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC||5||05-09-2001 02:06 PM|