Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
phmimpreza06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102720
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Default 2.5i Exhaust/Midpipe

Ok so don't flame me, I know plenty of people have brought up questions about cat-back exhausts and 2.5i's and what will fit. I have heard everything from anything 98-up 2.5rs will fit, to no you will have to wait because the bends are different (according to the dude I talked to at Greddy). But if the case is that anything from 98-up will fit, then how come Stromung makes a different mid pipe for the 2.5i than for the other Impreza's and only one of the axlebacks they make will fit? Also, does this mean it possible then, in order to avoid the chance that a catback won't fit, to get the midpipe from Stromung, then mount up any axle-back that you want to? Moreover, I heard that the flanges for the 06 wrx is the same as the 2.5i, if so would the larger diameter axleback mated to a 2.25" midpipe cause any loss in torque or horsepower, because of the potential loss of back-pressure? Or is the axleback not a big enough part of the full system to cause the loss in backpressure? Lots of questions, anyones help or answers would be cool...Thanks
phmimpreza06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
robsgotit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59674
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 06/2.5i 03/1.8t
there silver

yeah i tried researching to, i got a lot of mixed answers or (opinions)
i ended up just removing the rear muffler and straight piping it,
its pretty loud but controlable with throttle, as far as power goes, i noticed no diffrence,

really the only thing we can do at this point is have a custom catback made,
use a nice resonator in the mid pipe and get a nice rear can.
robsgotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
TMessick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 882
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
very blue

Well, here's the search info I had pulled together regarding GC exhausts on the GD (I've got a spare exhaust off my '00 RS that I need to sell off at some point):

GC8 exhaust on 2002 RS - NASIOC
HMMM, Old vs. new Exhaust? - NASIOC
can i use 1999-1998 impreza RS parts on my 2002 impreza outback sport - NASIOC

Stromung 98-01 vs. 2002- - NASIOC

Not sure how much is special/different on the 2006's versus earlier models, but my read of all this is that (at least on 2002-2005? 2.5 N/A) the GC-series axleback will bolt up goodly, which should mean any '93-'01.

As far as backpressure, and low-end, I only had an axleback on my RS, but never noticed any loss of low-end. I wouldn't expect you to be able to feel much of a low-end difference with just 2.25" (top end was slightly stronger). 2.5" and bigger would probably take a low end hit due to reduced exh velocity (backpressure is never good; big pipes create slower exhaust velocity, which can hurt low end).
TMessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
05ImprezaRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127368
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza RS
Black

I'm also looking for an exhaust system for my 2005 RS.
I've been told that the Borla Replica Headers (advertised as 95-01 RS's) will also fit a 2005.

As for exhausts, I've been told that any 95-01 Stromung/Borla Cat back will also fit an 05. I'm not sure if this applies to any other systems.

I'm looking for a nice deep rumble sound from my new system. The Greddy Evo2 is too quiet for me. I want the exhaust to be louder, but not a blazing tin can of "omg you can hear me 3 blocks away" power. Right now I'm leaning towards a Stromung or Borla. However, I heard an Apexi N1 on a WRX which sounded very nice, but I'm not sure what it sounds like on a RS or if there is a 2.25" version for the RS.

Last edited by 05ImprezaRS; 11-17-2006 at 12:22 AM.
05ImprezaRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
regan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52744
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Outback
Gold

on a 2006 i the flange from the header to the midpipe is rotated. I have put many 2005 cat backson all you do is have a reputable muffler shop cut and rotate the flang. Also i have put three full exhaust systems on from earlier models with no problems. Just lengthen the rear O2 sensor harness by purchasing a peice of the side of a WRX tranny. The length and bends from the heads to the ass end are the same.
regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Blase M
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84955
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 impreza rs
blue

05imprezaRS, the N1 will not sound the same on the NA impreza as the wrx. I just recently read that exhausts are louder on NA cars as there is no turbo to "quiet" down the exhaust note. it wont sound the same, itll sound like N1's on other NA cars except a little rumbly
Blase M is offline   Reply With Quote