Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default Where do you buy your general replacement parts?

I'm looking for some website recommendations for where I should buy some general replacement parts that I need. I want to replace my alternator, belts, battery, power steering pump, and both clutch cylinders. I always go to websites like rallysportdirect for mods, but I've never bought any general parts like these. Do most of you buy oem parts or buy generic ones off of CARiD or something? If you do buy the generic ones, how do you know which brands are better if they all look exactly the same? Also, I'm getting into car audio, if I wanted performance alternators and batteries, which website would you recommend for those?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
bambbrose
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289198
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 RS Sedan
Silver

Default

OEM Subaru when budget allows.

Rockauto.com when budget doesn't allow. Note that on Rockauto, there are dirt cheap parts, and then there are OE equivalent parts (Denso, Gates, etc.) Stick to the OE equivalent which will be cheaper than Subaru, but should be comparable in quality/life. The really cheap stuff on Rockauto is from China and your mileage may vary.
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

One does not just replace the alternator or power steering pump willy nilly. Those are replace when fail. There is no bling in either part so buying at your local Rolls Royce dealer or on eBay will net the same crap. Alternator is super simple. PSP is a whore to replace as you have to remove 987 fittings from the old and install on new and that pulley is a whore to get off.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2740715 is where to go. Replace what's needed, not what you THINK is needed. You need a new MAF and BCS for sure.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
One does not just replace the alternator or power steering pump willy nilly. Those are replace when fail. There is no bling in either part so buying at your local Rolls Royce dealer or on eBay will net the same crap. Alternator is super simple. PSP is a whore to replace as you have to remove 987 fittings from the old and install on new and that pulley is a whore to get off.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2740715 is where to go. Replace what's needed, not what you THINK is needed. You need a new MAF and BCS for sure.
Thanks for the reply. I probably should have mentioned I'm replacing my alternator/battery, because my car keeps dying and also upgrading the alternator to power some car audio. I'm replacing the PSP, because mine is currently failing I think. My steering wheel wobbles and everything when turning and the psp squeels badly. I just replaced my turbo inlet, so I can't see this as being worse lol. How do you know that I need a new MAF and BCS? Did you see one of my older posts?
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

If I can plan ahead, I do RockAuto. A couple forums I'm on have 5% discount codes and their prices are pretty good.
Standard shipping can have me a part in a day or a week, depends on where it's comeing from and you likely won't know until it ships.

There are a few items I get from a dealer (either locally or an online one), some parts I get local if I have a time crunch.

As to MAF and BCS, maybe age (time or miles).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
If I can plan ahead, I do RockAuto. A couple forums I'm on have 5% discount codes and their prices are pretty good.
Standard shipping can have me a part in a day or a week, depends on where it's comeing from and you likely won't know until it ships.

There are a few items I get from a dealer (either locally or an online one), some parts I get local if I have a time crunch.

As to MAF and BCS, maybe age (time or miles).
Does RockAuto usually have a better parts selection than other sites?
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2009 WRX SSM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Buy OEM for sensors. I've tried off brand sensors with bad luck.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
monkeyposeur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 333468
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1993 SS
03 WRB GD 205/22T 20G-XT

Default

^If you match the OEM part number for the MAF sensor you can get the Denso MAF (OEM supplier for the MAF) on Amazon for a lot less, same goes for the O2 sensor. BCS has to be OEM unless one plans to tune for an aftermarket EBCS.
monkeyposeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyposeur View Post
^If you match the OEM part number for the MAF sensor you can get the Denso MAF (OEM supplier for the MAF) on Amazon for a lot less, same goes for the O2 sensor. BCS has to be OEM unless one plans to tune for an aftermarket EBCS.
Thanks for the advice. Good thing I didn't buy it off of subaru...

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...2680AA310.html

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-197-604.../dp/B007WMG8A0
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2009 WRX SSM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyposeur View Post
^If you match the OEM part number for the MAF sensor you can get the Denso MAF (OEM supplier for the MAF) on Amazon for a lot less, same goes for the O2 sensor. BCS has to be OEM unless one plans to tune for an aftermarket EBCS.
Rock Auto carries Denso as well.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #11
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Rock Auto carries Denso as well.
Oh damm I missed that, thanks.
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #12
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Lightbulb

And check eBay as well. The price often includes the shipping... whereas that's not the case with RockAuto.
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #13
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #14
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post
For more than 2 1/2 times the price of it Here?
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post
For more than 2 1/2 times the price of it Here?
Where??
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #16
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post

Where??
Have you not clicked on the links in my last two posts?
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post
Have you not clicked on the links in my last two posts?
Oh I did not realize that your words had links. The ebay ones were all refurbished, and the 50 dollar one on amazon says it will not fit my car even though people in the reviews say it fit theirs.

Amazon says this won't fit
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-197-603...ir+flow+sensor

Amazon says this will fit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WMG8A0...PYMSJFXQ&psc=0
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #18
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post
For more than 2 1/2 times the price of it Here?
And this one doesn't look like the oem one. Even though it says it will fit, it has a completely different design than mine.
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #19
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post

Oh I did not realize that your words had links
Did the words with links not appear to be different looking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post

The ebay ones were all refurbished...
3 of the 58 listed sensors are "refurbished". All the rest were not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post

And this one doesn't look like the oem one. Even though it says it will fit, it has a completely different design than mine.
Often images used are only representative of the component. Go by the part numbers. If in doubt, message the vendor.
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
lpxltt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395574
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Almost Cape Cod, MA
Vehicle:
2007 OBS

Default

For the alt, I always have mine rebuilt locally. A lot of the remanned stuff, even the more expensive ones just don't last.

The guy I go to is great. The parts come back looking new and they can build them to the spec I want. I had the one out of my Legacy rebuilt to STI specs (higher amperage mainly) because I plan on running a light pod on it eventually and the STI one wouldn't work with the plug on my harness. Anyone who rebuilds them will probably do starters as well.

I would see if there is someone local who can rebuild and has a good reputation. A lot of these guys usually focus on commercial stuff but are happy to take extra work. Where I take mine he always calls them "cute" because of how small they are compared to his usual stuff.
lpxltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #21
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpxltt View Post
For the alt, I always have mine rebuilt locally. A lot of the remanned stuff, even the more expensive ones just don't last.

The guy I go to is great. The parts come back looking new and they can build them to the spec I want. I had the one out of my Legacy rebuilt to STI specs (higher amperage mainly) because I plan on running a light pod on it eventually and the STI one wouldn't work with the plug on my harness. Anyone who rebuilds them will probably do starters as well.

I would see if there is someone local who can rebuild and has a good reputation. A lot of these guys usually focus on commercial stuff but are happy to take extra work. Where I take mine he always calls them "cute" because of how small they are compared to his usual stuff.
When looking for someone is who is capable of doing alt rebuilds for you, what type of occupation in a person tells you that they might be able to work on alts? I have no idea what job that even falls into.
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post
3 of the 58 listed sensors are "refurbished". All the rest were not.
I was implying that all of the ebay ones that are cheaper than the amazon one were refurbished, except for the one you linked. The other concern I have about the one you linked is that although the part number matches mine, the connector is way different as well as the sensor itself. I might actually get on of the remanufactured ones off of ebay now that I realized they are denso and the same model number. Does remanufactured mean cleaned or contains actual new parts?
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #23
m3incorp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 478467
Join Date: Nov 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElongatedTaco View Post
Thanks for the reply. I probably should have mentioned I'm replacing my alternator/battery, because my car keeps dying and also upgrading the alternator to power some car audio. I'm replacing the PSP, because mine is currently failing I think. My steering wheel wobbles and everything when turning and the psp squeels badly. I just replaced my turbo inlet, so I can't see this as being worse lol. How do you know that I need a new MAF and BCS? Did you see one of my older posts?
Class D amplifiers can often help eliminate the need for upgrading your alternator....unless you are running some serious subwoofers at a thousand or so RMS watts.
m3incorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #24
Muh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302689
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle:
2014 WRX SD
WRB

Default

Usually I start by getting to know the part number of the part I need to replace (opposedforces.com or any other online OEM Subaru parts catalog) and then I'll go to ebay, rockauto and OEM Subaru parts catalog again for price comparison.

The place I buy will vary according to the part I need to replace - i.e. I don't necessarily need to buy Subaru OEM brake pads, or Subaru OEM radiator hoses, however I'd rather to spend a little bit more and get a Subaru OEM Water pump, thermostat...
Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #25
ElongatedTaco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461251
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Usually I start by getting to know the part number of the part I need to replace (opposedforces.com or any other online OEM Subaru parts catalog) and then I'll go to ebay, rockauto and OEM Subaru parts catalog again for price comparison.

The place I buy will vary according to the part I need to replace - i.e. I don't necessarily need to buy Subaru OEM brake pads, or Subaru OEM radiator hoses, however I'd rather to spend a little bit more and get a Subaru OEM Water pump, thermostat...
Thanks for the advice!
ElongatedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.