Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 12, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 242350
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Default EJ 20 stroker for the Carma Wolf

This thread is to share the details of an EJ 20 build for road racing.

The Carma Wolf is a mid engined, road car/track day car for Subaru drive train components. Subaru was chosen because the longitudinal layout and the boxer engine allow for a car with a low rear end. Porsche drivetrains will fit this car as well, but you can guess why the prototype has Subaru components. This is a significant thing for sports cars when trying to minimize drag and there was a desire to have proportions closer to a LeMans prototype than a typical road car for performance and aesthetic reasons. Decided to go with an EZ30R engine first because I had read Jeff Perrin's EZ30R build thread and thought it might be a good way to go. Unfortunately the EZ30 did not hold up. More on the EZ30 setup can be found here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2494976&page=6 I think oil starvation in long, high G corners resulted in engine death. At Barbour Motorsports Park, the engine broke a cam in practice. After fixing that, it broke a rod at Roebling Road, a short, high speed track where the car is in a corner most of the time, kind of like a right hand oval with a couple lefts.

Decided to go with a stroked EJ20. Here's what the engine looks like today:

The decision to go with a 2.1L stroker was based on the following
1) be able to use an existing dry sump - from Dailey Engineering. This was a major factor. Was very tempted to have Outfront Motorsports build a closed deck EZ30 but figured a custom Dailey dry sump would be pricey and take more time. The EZ30 would have cost a bit more too, and there was the feeling that the 6 cyl really kicked my ass and just had to get away from it, at least for a while.
2)to have an engine that made power at higher RPM rather than lower because the gearbox is weak and they are torque rated, not power rated.
3)A friend, Jim Ruggles (Jim is a retired engine builder that has built Indy 500 leading engines) gave me the EJ20 block because his '04 WRX spun a bearing and he went to a 2.5 block. Since I only got a block, I ended up buying another complete '03 WRX engine that also had a spun bearing. So now that block is a spare.
4)I read a thread by Joe Hanna at ASF machine where he built a SOHC engine for big power. I spoke with him about wanting to develop a reasonably priced ~400whp engine that could be easily replicated for customers, keeping in mind that we have a 5 speed transaxle and big torque was not good. I was impressed by his machine work and his technical knowledge as well as his lack of following the heard.

More info soon.

Last edited by jdogma; 10-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.
jdogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing LLC
search FIRST, then PM!!!

You wanted less low end torque but build a stroked engine...

You want to make good power off of SOHC heads...

Both of those options are used to increase torque.
I'd recommend a destroked EJ25. I originally designed it around track use. However if you're running NASA (excluding TTU/TTR) or other power/weight series, I advise my customers to go with other options that are more advantageous to the rules.

Also don't confuse my statement on the SOHC heads, they can make power but they make great torque. Just do some quick research and you'll see how they perform.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
You wanted less low end torque but build a stroked engine...

You want to make good power off of SOHC heads...

Both of those options are used to increase torque.
I'd recommend a destroked EJ25. I originally designed it around track use. However if you're running NASA (excluding TTU/TTR) or other power/weight series, I advise my customers to go with other options that are more advantageous to the rules.

Also don't confuse my statement on the SOHC heads, they can make power but they make great torque. Just do some quick research and you'll see how they perform.
I meant to point out that Joe used SOHC heads. My heads are from a 2003 WRX - twin cam with no AVCS. With respect to torque, I was comparing the 2.5 engine with the 2.1. I agree that a destroked 2.5 would be a nice option as well. The reason for stroking was to use the factory nitrided crank. I don't think they have another version. We are running SU - super unlimited - no power or weight limits. The car weighed ~1680 lbs with the EZ30 6 cylinder, so I am hoping for 1625 with this EJ20.

Last edited by jdogma; 10-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
wtyree
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29879
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

subscribed
wtyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
ASF Machine
Former Vendor

Member#: 236349
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza
OD Green

Default EJ 20 stroker for the Carma Wolf

A big part of the thought behind the stroker revolved around dumping reciprocating mass in an affordable, simple off the shelf manner.

Yes this could've been done using a destroker but for all intents and purposes, EJ205 core stuff is borderline throwaway cheap and very plentiful.
ASF Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Some of the parts used in the build:

Block from an '04 WRX wagon
Heads from an '03 WRX (non AVCS)
Crankshaft - Subaru 79mm nitrided
JE FSR stroker pistons 8.5:1
Manley H Tuff Rods 5.137
Cams GSC S1 266/222 9.6mm gross lift
Bronze Bullet liner guides
GSC Power Division Beehive Springs w/ Ti retainers
Supertech Inconel exhaust valves
Supertech Nitrided intake valves
ARP 625+ Head studs
Dailey dry sump

Last edited by jdogma; 10-20-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

[IMG][/IMG]

Got the intake bolt holes machined. All the bolts go in now. Note: if you need to do this, leave the 4 machined tabs on the intake runners on. These were used to secure the manifold for machining.

Then the intake hole and the throttle body mounting holes were altered to fit the EZ30R throttle body. The bolt pattern was slightly bigger, requiring threaded aluminum rod to plug the old holes, and new holes were drilled and threaded. The throttle bore was enlarged to 2.6 inches to match the larger EZ30R throttle body. The machinist had to make a special fixture to hold the manifold in order to work on the throttle body mounting face (if anybody wants him to do your manifold, his contact info - Bob Wagner 678-517-4976 [email protected]). The EJ20 alternator mount had to be modified for the throttle body to fit. The alternator ears had to be sanded as well.

Now I need to port match and get rid of the EGR tube - think it will make a good place for the MAP sensor. Also need to fab something for the other side of the alternator.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Plumbing the dry sump. Each cam cover was drilled at the bottom rear and -10AN fittings were welded on to scavenge from heads. The left side is shown mocked up. Hope to weld tomorrow. Using aluminum hard lines here to avoid rubber or teflon hoses and heat concerns.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Right side scavenge return with engine fitted in car. will have to come out so I can weld it up. Clears everything nicely. Engine takes less than 5 minutes to put in and less to remove, so not that big a deal.

Mocking up turbo fit with engine in and turbo in approximate location. There are a bunch of variables, but for now I will try to take the most expedient route, and optimize later. Plenty of room in front of this engine compared to the EZ30 will make it easier to work on.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
Jubathoph
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382959

This is looking pretty sweet. Sub'd for updates. What kind of whp are you targeting? I know this is meant for track dominance not the strip, but I can't help but wonder what something with this power to weight ratio and low cross-sectional area would do in the 1/4 mile ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using NASIOC mobile app
Jubathoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubathoph View Post
This is looking pretty sweet. Sub'd for updates. What kind of whp are you targeting? I know this is meant for track dominance not the strip, but I can't help but wonder what something with this power to weight ratio and low cross-sectional area would do in the 1/4 mile ;-)

Thanks! Looking for ~400whp on ~98 octane fuel. I'd like to know 1/4 mile too, but don't want to do drag launches with the stock 5 speed. I ask the driver and anyone else that drives it, not to even use WOT in first gear. At some point it needs to try the drag strip, but right now the wallet is pretty thin -ha ha!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #13
Jubathoph
Scooby Newbie

I think the later 5mt trans have been holding up pretty good; mine (2013) has seen fair number of launches and miss shifts at 370tq /330whp with no problems. But maybe for you its not worth the risk, totally understand.

One thing I am interested in is the effect of using it like a midengine transaxle. Normally most of the load goes to the rear drive train thru the center diff under hard acceleration due to weight transfer. In your case it is the opposite, so I wonder if the front wheel outputs of the trans are as beefed up as the rear.

Is your car or will it ever be street legal? I would love to build something like a street legal 962 replica using a similar approach to yours.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

One thing I am interested in is the effect of using it like a midengine transaxle. Normally most of the load goes to the rear drive train thru the center diff under hard acceleration due to weight transfer. In your case it is the opposite, so I wonder if the front wheel outputs of the trans are as beefed up as the rear.

Is your car or will it ever be street legal? I would love to build something like a street legal 962 replica using a similar approach to yours.

"I wonder if the front wheel outputs of the trans are as beefed up as the rear." I have the same question. ha ha!
I did some coupes. They are even more involved and require AC, etc. Last 2 of 4 I did - one supercharged Buick, other Chev LS.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Jubathoph
Scooby Newbie

Nice lines! Are those street legal and in what states? Was it a horrendous amount of red tape to get them properly licensed?

Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #16
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubathoph View Post
Nice lines! Are those street legal and in what states? Was it a horrendous amount of red tape to get them properly licensed?

The Carma Wolf - 2 seat open track day car - can be registered under kit car rules for most states. The Evans cars were last EPA and DOT legal (49 state - not CA) in 1992 when the rules were not quite so bad, but EPA was a lot of hassle, requiring me to hire emissions labs and going to Ann Arbor for verification, etc. The DOT sent threat letters and knew where to find me, but the cars are listed in their records. -lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Still a lot to do. Finish dry sump plumbing -part done - don't have tank yet. Do wiring harness, wastegate, intake (mostly there), reprogram ecu, test, tune and plenty of misc.

I get stoked about things like how much room there is around the engine - Yeah!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Finalized headers, including turbo and wastegate position. Bought the headers from Outfront for a great price because they were unfinished. We added wategate tube and turbo flange and changed the secondary tube angle from about 80 degrees to about 70 which lowered the turbo and left more space in front of the harmonic damper (it is fluid filled and can't tolerate a lot of heat). Just got back from ceramic coating.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #19
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Engine fit is done. Managed to get engine 3/4 inches lower than the EZ30R, due to dry sump. Got the turbo about 1/2 inch lower and 1/2 inch forward. Need to weld up wastegate exhaust, plumb dry sump tank (no tank yet) and change wire harness to 4 cyl.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #20
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Finished wastegate exhaust - into main exhaust. With the flex coupling it is all easy and quick.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #21
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

The alt bracket was made from cut down WRX mount and 1/8 in sheet bracket. In addition to the 2 socket cap screws that face the front, the sheet metal addition has a flange that bolts to the original cast bracket with 2 hex bolts that can't be seen in photos.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #22
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Just about ready for startup. Turbo compressor to intercooler tube not in, need a few details with BOV and boost control lines. All water and oil lines plumbed.

Floor is off for access. Some plumbing underneath. [IMG][/IMG]

More underneath. [IMG][/IMG]

More under - gonna be fun adding insulation. [IMG][/IMG]

Moved oil cooling back to original position to avoid long lines to the front and more expensive and labor intensive front cooler. L side - alternator not wired...[IMG][/IMG] R side: There is an engine in there.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #23
Flat 4 Motorsport
Former Vendor

Member#: 295846
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

this look like a lot of FUN!
Flat 4 Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #24
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

It runs! Have dyno scheduled for Monday. Weighed car and dry weight is now 1620 lb - 36 lb lighter than with the EZ30 6 cylinder. I don't think the previous weight included the diffuser, and now the car has an added dry sump system. New wheels should be here next week. Hope to change the aluminum diffuser to a carbon one this year. Also hope to get a Braille lithium battery. Those mods should put it well under 1600 lb dry. Thanks to the engine builder, Joe Hanna, Phil Grabow at Element Tuning, who supplied a startup map for nothing and put up with a bunch of stupid questions, Brian Keene at I-wire who also put up with stupid questions and Scott Siegel, the tuner who is presently helping with pre-tune by email. Tuning will be at Forged Performance.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #25
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Could have had it running a lot sooner if I knew something about tuning with the Hydra - now I know enough to be dangerous. But at least it is running good and ready for dyno!

Phil Grabow at Element tuning talked me through how to get fuel right and it worked!