Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
2006 Legacy GT Ltd
2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd
SUBARU DEBUTS ALL-NEW 2008 IMPREZA 2.5i AND IMPREZA WRX
• 2008 Imprezas Boast All-New Styling and Two New Body Styles
• New and More Refined Interior Delivers Improved Comfort, Space and Utility
• Available Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
New York, NY April 5, 2007 -- Subaru today unveiled the all-new Subaru Impreza 2.5i and its performance
icon cousin, the Impreza WRX at the New York International Auto Show. With new, more sophisticated
styling and two new body styles, a 4-door sedan and a 5-door model, the Impreza 2.5i and Impreza WRX
breathe new life into the compact performance market. The new Impreza models take a giant leap forward in
terms of comfort and utility, while delivering the handling, performance and Subaru Symmetrical AWD that
made the original Impreza such a success. Also new for 2008, is the availability of Vehicle Dynamics
Control (VDC) on both the Impreza 2.5i and Impreza WRX.
In 2002, Subaru changed the face of the performance market with the introduction of the original
WRX, a car that could deliver turbocharged, rally-bred performance in any driving condition. The
all-new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX follows that lead with an all-new breed of AWD
performance car. The 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX now rides on a 3.7 inch longer wheelbase
(103.1 inches) that improves ride, interior space and utility.
The new WRX is powered by a 2.5-liter flat-four Boxer engine delivering 224 horsepower and
226 Lb.-ft. of torque and is 50 lbs. lighter than its predecessor. The engine has been modified to
produce more torque at lower rpm. With its broader and richer torque curve, the 2008 WRX
delivers a smooth stream of power, improving drivability and fuel efficiency.
The new Impreza chassis has improved rigidity and ride comfort with the addition of high tension
steel at key structural points. The new design results in a lower overall weight for the body while
the longer wheelbase allows for improved ride dynamics as well as increasing interior room and
lowering levels of Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
To further improve handling, the engine is now placed slightly lower in the chassis, lowering the
Impreza’s center of gravity. In addition, the new chassis improves crash worthiness and provides
crisper handling and a stiffer platform. While the new Impreza WRX remains a driver’s car, the
new WRX represents a better combination of capabilities, maximizing performance, comfort and
delivering an advantage over the competition.
In conjunction with the new chassis, the Subaru Impreza and WRX feature an all-new doublewishbone
rear suspension. The suspension allows for less intrusion into the cargo area, providing
a wider and deeper luggage compartment. The new suspension also delivers improved ride
refinement, decreased road noise, and a quieter cabin.
MODERN EXTERIOR DESIGN
The all-new 2008 Impreza and Impreza WRX are now available in two new body styles, a 4-door
and a 5-door. The new 5-door design is clean and elegant, with a sweeping single curve roofline
that flows into an aerodynamic rear spoiler. An all-new frontal design features the new spread
wing logo design at the top of the widened grille. The new grille creates a connection to the
Subaru aircraft heritage and places a focus on the Subaru star cluster logo.
Both exterior designs focus on detail touches such as the new clear rear lenses on the 5-door,
distinctive curved fog lamps and an inward sweeping chrome embellishment that flows the grille
design into the bumper. An aggressive lower spoiler adds to the sporting character of the design.
The 5-door features a distinctive character line that sweeps upward at the rear, giving the car an
agile look. The short rear overhang, new clear rear taillamp lenses and a vertical chrome bar
combine to integrate the side character line into tail.
The 4-door Impreza and Impreza WRX are unique to the North American market. The new 4-
door is 4.5-inches longer than the previous sedan and 6.5-inches longer than the new 5-door
models. The extra space provides for a much larger trunk that can accommodate three Tour-size
golf bags. The rear seats feature a 60/40 rear split folding mechanism that further enhances cargo
capacity. On new 5-door Impreza models, the wide and flat load floor can accommodate two
Tour golf bags with the rear seats in the upright position.
The design of the 4-door models creates an improved road presence, with a wider and sharper
front design giving way to a crisp side body crease. The rear of the 4-door Impreza is set apart by
red lamp lenses and a chrome strip below the trunk line that visually widens the tail.
On WRX models, a new available aero kit denotes the WRX rally car heritage. The 5-door WRX
features a rear under body diffuser and single chrome exhaust pipe. The 4-door WRX features
dual chrome exhaust tips and a rear trunk spoiler.
RICH INTERIOR DESIGN
The interior design of the 2008 Impreza places a new emphasis on comfort and space. The new
sweeping twin cockpit embraces occupants and brushed aluminum look insets flow into the
center stack. The center console shape adds to the airiness of the cockpit design, aided by the
sculpted door panels and improved headroom. The door panels house molded recesses that can
accommodate 24-oz. soft drink bottles, as well as loose items.
Despite retaining the same exterior width as the previous generation Impreza, the new 2008
Impreza features an interior with two inches more front shoulder room than before.
An available navigation and information center is the focal point of the center console. In addition
to an input for MP3 players, the center console also includes video jacks that can accommodate
portable gaming devices that can be displayed on the navigation screen when the vehicle is
parked. The navigation screen is placed at the top of the dashboard for improved visibility and
functionality. The interior of the new Impreza was designed to provide a feeling of quality with
special emphasis placed on double-stitched fabrics and high-grade interior plastics.
New for 2008 are framed windows that allow for improved body rigidity and provide for a quieter
interior with better sealing for the windows. Larger door openings provide improved ingress and
egress and the rear doors open 75 degrees to allow for better rear seat access. The rear seatback
angles have been reclined for improved rear comfort. Rear seat legroom is also significantly
ENGINES - IMPROVED TORQUE, BETTER ECONOMY
The 2.5-liter and 2.5-liter turbocharged flat fours have been modified to improve both emissions
and fuel efficiency while maintaining the same high performance standards delivered by the
current Impreza and Impreza WRX. Modified torque curves on the both engines are tuned for
improved low-rpm acceleration and improved drivability.
The new 2.5-liter normally aspirated engine delivers 170 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 170 lb-ft.
of torque @ 4,400 rpm. Low end torque and fuel efficiency for the 2.5-liter normally aspirated
engine were improved by the addition of a new intake port. Improved emissions were realized by
a new catalyst system that optimizes catalyst efficiency.
The 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-four Boxer engine in the WRX delivers its maximum torque and
horsepower earlier than the previous model, with 224 horsepower @ 5,200 rpm and 226 lb.-ft. of
torque @ 2,800 rpm, a full 800 rpm earlier than the previous generation WRX. Low end torque
and fuel efficiency was improved through the addition of a new intake manifold, intercooler and
The 2008 Impreza continues Subaru’s legendary safety and crash worthiness record. New for
2008 are standard side-curtain airbags and available Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) . Also
standard is the Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbag System (SRS), with front seat head / chest side
impact air bags (SRS) and a driver’s side front air bag that deploys according to the driver’s
proximity to the steering wheel, as measured by a sensor on the seat track. In the passenger side
front seat, a sensor module detects weight on the passenger seat – first determining if it is
occupied, and if so by a child or adult – to control air bag deployment. As part of the system, the
dashboard features a new “Airbag” indicator light.
The new 2008 Impreza utilizes the Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame Body Structure
with front and rear crumple zones. The new 2008 Subaru Impreza also incorporates 3-point
seatbelts for all seats (height-adjustable for outboard positions); front seatbelts with electrically
triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters, 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
and active front seat head restraints (Not available on WRX Performance Seats) to help reduce
whiplash injury in a rear collision.
FHI Unveils All-New Subaru Impreza at the New York International Auto Show
Tokyo, April 3, 2007 – Fuji Heavy Industries Inc. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the unveiling of its all new Subaru Impreza (U.S. specifications) at the New York International Auto Show, which will be held from April 6 through 15. (Press days : April 4 and 5) The third-generation Impreza will hit the market around the world starting this summer.
Developed around the product concept of new, more refined designs for comfort, the latest Impreza incorporates sophisticated styling and rich interior design, roominess and space, and outstanding comfort and utility, while offering a pleasant and safe ride enhanced by Subaru Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel drive) with the Horizontally-Opposed engine.
1. Advanced core mechanism
The new Impreza showcases a redesigned chassis, body construction and drivetrain, as well as substantially improved overall performance, under the theme “Only Subaru can deliver such attractive performance and values.”1 It also provides a pleasant ride with ease of handling and integrates performance with advanced safety and environmental considerations.
1) FHI recently set forth a new theme for Subaru cars that stipulates Subaru’s goal: Subaru offers a comfortable, pleasant drive for the driver and passengers; provides peace of mind and reliability; and extends convenience, utility and functionality.
• The newly designed double-wishbone rear suspension effectively absorbs shocks from road surfaces, ensuring high levels of ride comfort and agile handling.
• The lower center of gravity, enabled by the Boxer engine, has been enhanced by mounting the engine slightly lower in the chassis, thereby further improving stability.
• Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), available on a wider grade range of the Impreza lineup, increases active safety.
• Additional use of high tension steel and reinforced joints has greatly improved rigidity.
• Streamlined body construction, while ensuring safety, makes weight reduction possible, which in turn improves fuel economy and maneuverability.
[Engines and transmissions]
• The 2.5-liter Boxer engine features ideal power output characteristics under a practical range of driving speeds through improved mid- to low-end torque. The engine has also been modified to improve emissions and fuel efficiency.
• The 2.5-liter SOHC normally aspirated engine adopts a new intake port and other design changes that make improved low-end torque and fuel efficiency possible. Improved emissions were realized by a new catalyst system that optimizes catalyst efficiency.
• Incorporating a newly designed intake manifold, intercooler and turbocharger, the 2.5-liter DOHC turbocharged engine delivers improved mid to low-end torque and fuel efficiency.
• Transmissions, both manual and automatic, were modified for faster, more responsive shifting and better maneuverability.
• Advancing the Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame Body Structure with front and rear crumple zones, the new Impreza has realized high levels of safety and crash worthiness.
• All models are equipped with dual SRS airbags, side SRS airbags, and curtain airbags.
• A collapsible safety pedal is available on all models to reduce the risk to feet in accidents.
2. Refined styling and elegant interior design
The new Impreza combines sporty styling with ample interior space and integrates functionality with elegance.
Refined styling is highlighted by a perfectly proportioned body, well calculated panel curves that reflect light and shadow in harmony, and quality details.
• Sweeping character lines on both sides express a sense of speed and individuality.
• A sporty image is underscored by projecting front fenders and rear quarters.
• Projector lamps, used in the headlights, give a dynamic three-dimensional appearance.
• A clean and elegant line flows continuously from the front grille, up the A-pillar, across the roof down to the rear gate.
• An aerodynamic rear spoiler, standard on all models, heightens the car’s sporty image.
• The rear overhang is 165 mm longer than on the 5-door model, which gives the car a more elegant sedan look.
• Spacious and open interior provides comfort and improves visibility.
• Aluminum-look insets in the center panels and door trim add a sporty feel and airiness.
• The navigation screen, as well as the vehicle information and audio displays are placed at the top of the dashboard for improved visibility and functionality.
• High-grade, double-stitched seat fabrics provide a feeling of quality.
3. Packaging and utility
• The new Impreza rides on a 95-mm-longer wheelbase than its predecessor, which enables expanded interior space.
• The all-new double-wishbone rear suspension makes room for a wider and deeper luggage compartment, enhancing the utility of the car.
• On the 5-door model, the rear seats feature a 60/40 split folding mechanism that allows various seating arrangements and increases cargo capacity. The wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour-size golf bags, or five carry-on bags.
• The 4-door model provides a larger trunk that can accommodate three Tour-size golf bags. The rear seats feature standard 60/40 split backs, giving pass-through access to the trunk.
• Larger door openings, which are enabled through new sash construction, afford improved ingress and egress, and the rear doors open 75 degrees to allow for better rear seat access.
• The door panels house molded recesses that can hold 720-mL PET bottles.
Last edited by phoenix96; 04-04-2007 at 02:58 PM.