Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default Daily driver alignment 2015+

Does anyone have recommendations for specs on alignment for a daily driver WRX? I am thinking of going with rear lower control arms to dial out rear camber if it makes a difference.
I have no suspension mods yet but will be doing a rear sway bar.
Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
uofime
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, NW suburbs
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845y View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for specs on alignment for a daily driver WRX? I am thinking of going with rear lower control arms to dial out rear camber if it makes a difference.
I have no suspension mods yet but will be doing a rear sway bar.
Thanks!
What are you doing with the car? If it really is just a dd leave it alone. No sense dumping money and making it worse.
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Daily driving and spirited mountain roads.
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845y View Post
Daily driving and spirited mountain roads.
Have you done this first with proper tires and brake pads? Just asking.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Conti dws06 in winter and stock tires for the rest. No pads yet
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
15 legacy 16 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845y View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for specs on alignment for a daily driver WRX? I am thinking of going with rear lower control arms to dial out rear camber if it makes a difference.
I have no suspension mods yet but will be doing a rear sway bar.
Thanks!
dont do a rear sway bar, it makes handling worse. max even front camber and zero or slight toe in all around.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Barry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11554
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Jones Beach,NY- Spring
Vehicle:
2016 STI
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Alignment is best first mod on your car. Rarely has the camber ever matched from the factory. Get your L/R camber even and set toe to 0. Car will have a different feel to it. You wil be a happy camper.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
uofime
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, NW suburbs
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default



Here's a good alignment for an all stock car, this was my first alignment I had done. this was at a dealer, I asked for max even front negative camber and zero toe and an eighth(iirc) toe in at the rear.

You could probably just print this out and give it to the service advisor/ alignment tech. They may resist since max negative front camber will officially be "out of spec" , maybe make you agree to no warranty on the work or some such.

Driving wise adding the camber will make the car follow the crown of the road a bit more and feel somewhat more twitchy. The handling balance will feel better though, you'll have more mid corner front grip which means the results will be even worse if you do something foolish like step on the brakes mid corner (expect the rear end to come out)
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
15 legacy 16 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofime View Post


Here's a good alignment for an all stock car, this was my first alignment I had done. this was at a dealer, I asked for max even front negative camber and zero toe and an eighth(iirc) toe in at the rear.

You could probably just print this out and give it to the service advisor/ alignment tech. They may resist since max negative front camber will officially be "out of spec" , maybe make you agree to no warranty on the work or some such.

Driving wise adding the camber will make the car follow the crown of the road a bit more and feel somewhat more twitchy. The handling balance will feel better though, you'll have more mid corner front grip which means the results will be even worse if you do something foolish like step on the brakes mid corner (expect the rear end to come out)
yep, thats why i run a bit of toe in front and back. it increases high speed stability and tracking.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #10
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

How much is a bit of toe? Great info, exactly what I am looking for!
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
15 legacy 16 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845y View Post
How much is a bit of toe? Great info, exactly what I am looking for!
i dont know the conversion for degrees to inches, but .050" total toe in on the front and .090"-.125" toe in on the rear is enough to make it track really good without causing any tire wear or a dead steering feel. as the rear suspension compresses, it goes toe out, thats why you want more in the rear. those are good #'s for high speed stability. if you dont spend much time above 60 mph, or if you want livelier steering and rotation, go closer to zero toe.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
MedicDG
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329822
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi
WRB

Default

Zero toe in all 4 wheel and front camber no more than -0.8 side to side. I'm not a big fan of excessive camber due to trampling.
MedicDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
MedicDG
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329822
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Alignment is best first mod on your car. Rarely has the camber ever matched from the factory. Get your L/R camber even and set toe to 0. Car will have a different feel to it. You wil be a happy camper.


This^
MedicDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
uofime
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, NW suburbs
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicDG View Post
Zero toe in all 4 wheel and front camber no more than -0.8 side to side. I'm not a big fan of excessive camber due to trampling.
Do you mean tramlining?
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

What about rear camber numbers? Is it worth getting rear lower control arms to adjust rear camber?

Last edited by rain164845y; 03-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
uofime
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, NW suburbs
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain164845y View Post
What about rear camber numbers? Is it with getting rear lower control arms to adjust rear camber?
I wouldn't. the aftermarket bearings used on many of them seem to have issues and fail a lot causing clunking and many are not (easily) replaceable. So unless you have a good reason, probably leave the stock ones.
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #17
MedicDG
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329822
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofime View Post
Do you mean tramlining?


Ya my bad!
MedicDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.