Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday May 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 428613
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Default MY04 GG Build: The Students Track Project Log

It's time I finally record the on-going story of my Wagon project to the forums and add another thread to the pool of wagons. With a different set of eyes of course

Going to start the story from the very beginning:

Prologue: How I purchased my 2004 JBP WRX Wagon.

It all started with me looking for a new car after my 2002 2.5RS was involved in a weather related accident and was declared totaled 12/20/2014. I was looking to move on to a newer Impreza and definately wanted something with more space and "oomph". Thus I began the search for a mechanically clean WRX Wagon.

Came across a 2004 JBP WRX Wagon 30 minutes from me on Craigslist for $10,500 and was reluctant on purchasing the vehicle as it was $4k above what my insurance gave me for my old bug eye ($6.5k).

With a little push from my dad, we took a look at the wagon together to check it out and try to get get negotiations done on 1/07/2015.

Long story short, after a 2 hour viewing session and discussion with the owner, we came to the agreement of $6k for the whole car, talking down $4.5k off the price. True Story.

So here goes the start of the build:

Chapter 1: Modest Living

On 1/14/2015, I became the registered 2nd owner of what was now "My" Wagon!

Here is what a purchased and started out with:

Bone stock 2004 WRX Wagon
Pro:
- Original California Car
- Clean Title
- 120,572 Miles
- Clean interior

Con:
- Oem wheels had 5-10% tire tread
- Rear hatch had a small dent
- Passenger rear door had a dent
- Fog lights didn't work
- Leaky Valve covers
- Original clutch since new

So I bought the car, now what? Well, like every 18 year old kid would do, I went for the first mod because it was something all the cool stance kids were doing. Buy suspension and wheels!

Okay kidding on the stance part, but I did purchase wheels. Since the oem wheels were dangerous to drive on as all 4 corners had no tread with lots of the wire showing up on all of them, I decided to knock 2 birds with 1 stone. I ended getting a set of Original Advan Touring Competitions complete with the multi piece center caps and medallions.

Installed 1/21/2015

During this time, I was a freshman living in the dorms at San Francisco State University and left the Wagon at my parents house and visited every weekend. During the week, I studied and went to my engineering courses. On the weekends, I used the wagon as a nice and practical car to visit friends and run errands.

Chapter 2: Living in a City with no parking

So the wagon remained used as my weekend car with no changes until I moved out of my dorm in May 2015. I moved into a nice San Francisco apartment in the Sunset district. I used the wagon to head to the East Bay Area for work on the weekends and commute when the weather was bad (I used a bike when it wasn't).

On to the Wagon!

8/29/2015: Installed a Tanabe Touring Medallion Catback.
- Loved the way it sounded and was clean and looked oem. Wanted to gain some noise!

12/26/2015: Cleaned and amber deleted the headlights.
- I needed a new driver side bulb as it burnt out and used the opportunity to make the mods.

Over the beginning of the school semester, I began purchasing and hoarding parts I wanted to add to the wagon and change everything up going into the new year after owning the car for about a year.

Purchased:
2007 STI Brembos + pads and rotors
Goodridge Stainless Steel lines
Epic Engineering rear sway bar
Whiteline rear end links
Blitz ZZR 32 Way Coilovers
18x8 +51 Prodrive PFF7 (to clear brembos)
235/40/18 Falken Pro G4

1/11/2016: Installed Suspension components
- Coilovers were installed to settle them in before tuning the suspension via my friends shop @BurstCraft

1/13/2016: Added STI Rep Splitters and Lip

I wanted to refresh the brembos as they were pretty rough when I purchased them and proceeded to repaint them with a fresh coat of high temp paint.

Continuing...........
Nero_leggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Continuing........

1/20/2016: Installed front brembos with Stainless lines, rotors and pads, and New Wheels!
- Suspension was tuned after brakes were embedded as well

2/10/16: Replaced the dead OEM clutch a an ACT lightweight fly wheel and Exedy Clutch kit
- Installed by GST Motorsports. Pictured is the original flywheel and clutch removed.

3/12/16: Installed a Weapon R Coolant/washer tank aluminum reservoir.
- Picked it up for a crisp $20 from a Craigslist seller in SF

I began to look into different styled lips and front ends as I began to regret purchasing the STI rep splitter and lip as they began to deform and fit terrible overall.

3/31/2016: Picked up a Cusco Replica Lip locally and began test fitting.
- Ended up with worse fitment as I (at the time) didn't know the wagon and sedan bumpers had different dimensions so I ended up reinstalling the rep splitters and broke 2 tabs. All that work for nothing :/

3/31/2016: Also installed an SRS N1 Style Catback.
- There was someone interested in my Tanabe Exhaust and old Advans and offered a set of rare Napre Japan wheels. He threw in his exhaust and I didn't have my oem exhaust at the time, so that's how I ended up with an SRS Catback. At least it sounded ok....

Continued........
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Default MY04 GG Build: The Students Track Project Log

Continuing........

After randomly browsing craigslist, I found a really fancy Perrin cover that was 24kt plated off a GRB Show car. Naturally, my bad financial decisions led to its purchase and installation.

5/13/2016: Installed Perrin cover and added red subaru grill decal

Later that same day, I ended up purchasing a nicer replacement for that SRS Catback. Off Craigslist was an HKS High Power Carbon Ti.

6/11/2016: Installed the HKS with new gaskets and also roof rail deletes.

Over the summer, various small things were picked up and added to the wagon as I found many deals on quality goods and components. It was at this time I finally decided on the direction of building the wagon and chose to go in the way of Time Attack/ Track Racing. Preferrebly, I began to start stockpiling quality parts for the wagon to help it tackle my track of choice, Mazda Raceway's Laguna Seca.

Over time (and filling timeline voids I don't remember), these were picked up and added.

- STI OEM JBP Fog Covers
- Greddy Oil Cap
- Defi Red Racer Boost Gauge
- Cobb Accessport V2
- Rare MOMO Floor Plates
- Willans 6 point Harness
- Carbon Fiber Rear Hatch
- JDM V8 OEM STI Grill (to replace the cracked one I previously had)
- JDM Single Din Cubby
- Center console vent delete for Defi Gauge

Continuing...........
Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Continuing......

Chapter 3: Junior Year

With Summer 2016 coming to an end, I started to focus more on the details of the wagons functionality and start testing what I like and don't like in terms of improving or modifying the wagon.

8/13/2016: Rear Bumper "Minor" half cut and intake snorkel silencer delete.
- Special Thanks to @BurstCraft
- The bumper cut was done to free up a little space, improve some air flow, and also expose a few new mounting points for a future installation of a diffuser (test fitting). The bumper cut does show off more of the carbon in the exhaust though

In pursuit of increasing driver input, I picked up an authentic Bride Vios III in Grey Gradation. I was saddened to find out it didn't fit me as well as I hoped but I sold it and bought a seat that definately fit me better, a Bride Zeta III in Black Gradation

For commuting reasons, I chose to run the oem wrx seat as it was easier to get in and out of quickly (since parking is a challenge already in SF, I was always rushing to my classes haha). The Zeta Currently sits in my Parents house awaiting its time to be installed for a track day.

Early in October, I got in touch with a good friend and managed to come across a Carbon Fiber Spec C Roof vent made by a third party in Japan.

During Mid-November 2016, a setback occurred. Due to construction and poor quality of work from public construction road workers on 19th street, they set up steel plates with no overpass wedging which in turn cracked my passenger side prodrive wheel. I did not have time to repair the wheel and ended up capitalizing on the chance to upgrade.

Enter the wheels I currently am running on: Gold ADVAN RS 18x8.5 +48 w/ 235/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12 EVO tires.

During the same time of installation and fender rolling (to accommodate the 18x8.5 +48), I picked up from a good friend a set of JDM Fog lights and slapped them on the wagon.

Then some problems started happening at 145k miles while running errands.

Continuing.........
Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Continuing.......

12/30/16: Power steering pump was leaking fluid onto the headers and the AC Compressor kicked the bucket. The band self destructed and took out the pulley as well.
- I Proceeded to buy a new PS pump and since I wanted to delete the AC, I was ok without it already. PS Pump was installed with a new remanufactured unit.

Things then started to look up!

Chapter 4: Another year, Another overhaul

A friend of mine in the tail light business was in need of a Tester for his Tail lights for quality control. To help out, I began testing his lights during my daily commutes with spreading weather and cold SF mornings.
- S/O @Illumaesthaetics

Shortly after, picked up a super rad Prova Eiffel Gen 1 5-speed shift knob from Instafamous Bug-Eye Owner Ryan Richey

Things start to get a little more interesting from here on out.

Ever since I've owned my Bug-Eye, I've always wanted to own a GD STI. However at this point, I was already in love with the wagon and committed to improving my platform. So what do I do?

While browsing the interwebz, I find what was my big break to change the wagon. For sale was a rear ended 2004 JBP STI for sale.
Due to the kindness of the owner/selling of the wrecked STI, on 2/27/2017 I became the owner of a rear ended 2004 STI. I always wanted a GD again, didn't think this was the way it was going to happen Haha

This is where plans for the wagon get more serious. Current build goal as of 3/28/2017:
- Swap full STI Driveline including transmission, axles, hubs and knuckles, differentials, brembos, drive shafts, sedan front control arms with lateral links
- Swap STI Wider front end on the wagon
- Sell the EJ257 to build my desired EJ207

My desired engine build will be consisting on using:
- V8-V9 EJ207 block and heads
- Polished crankshaft
- new high flow water pump
- new forged internals
- new oil pain w/ baffle & pickup
- twin scroll set up
- new injectors along with aftermarket fuel pump
- new tmic
- new bearings
- new head studs
- etc new supplemental components for full engine overhaul/rebuild I'm possibly forgetting

3/18/2017: STI sedan front end swapped over to the wagon.
- This is currently how the wagon sits right now, daily driven in SF

Next thing on the list, remove the STI Driveline and get rid of the shell.

To be continued........

SERIOUS Special Thanks to @BurstCraft For their help with facilities, knowledge, and downright kindness in helping this project in making a track wagon, a reality!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Managed to work on dropping the rear end of the STI today. Dropping the components of the front drivetrain are next, along with the transmission

Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
TokyoHero
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301324
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WR Blue Pearl

Clean looking wagon. Looking forward to seeing what is next
TokyoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Managed to drop out the engine, transmission, subframe, and front end driveline all at once. Now need to move the 257 to build up the 207

Anyone want a free 2004 sti shell? Lol
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
JMLANE
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399010
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
WRB

I'm jealous of your build. You have the best of all worlds in my opinion . . . the blob eye, the wagon, and the STI components (I didn't catch whether or not you kept the interior . . . I think you would just need to source a rear seat to make it complete).

Keep up the good work.
JMLANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #10
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Thanks bud! @JMLANE

Been a while since I've updated but made some more progress:

4/22/2017: Got rid of the bare shell of an STI I had. Offered it for free with parts and no takers. However, many interested parties in buying parts from the shell, go figure LOL

EJ257 has been sold and currently trying to purchase a Version 8 EJ207.

New parts have been bought as well!
- L'aunsport intercooler grill
- 18x9 +45 Advan RG-D's
- extra goodies from auctions (stay tuned for some rare jdm goodies)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #11
Nero_leggera
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

5/13/2017: Ej207 Assembly ordered with a bunch of additional goodies included. Also managed to get more parts ready for the swap and prepping the brembo refinishing. More work to come!