|04-04-2008, 11:14 AM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2004
1999 JDM GC1 IMPREZA
Timing Belt Replacement Questions
I am currently planning on changing the timing belt on my moms 1999 EJ-15 SOHC Subaru Impreza as well as the crankshaft oil seal and the two camshaft oil seals due to a very minor oil leak. Additionally, I am also planning to get the following parts:
Water pump gasket
Timing belt tensioner (maybe)
I would therefore like the following questions answered:
1) Do I have to drain the engine oil to change the oil seals, especially if I let the vehicle sit overnight in my garage before the work is performed?
2) Is there any special technique that I can use to get the old oil seals out?
3) Is there any way that I can "lock" the 2 camshaft gears in position whilst I am putting back on the new timing belt; bear in mind the engine is a SOHC and not a DOHC?
4) Any special techniques in taking off, as well as putting back on the crankshaft pulley nut/bolt?
Additionally, any other maintenance tasks that can be performed while I am in that section of the engine would be greatly appreciated since I do not want to have to be going back in there anytime soon.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|04-05-2008, 03:04 PM||#3|
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Hartford, CTVehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
you dont have to drain the oil. i use a small screwdriver to get the seals out, but you can use a seal puller if you want. only the left side cam sprocket is under load when you put the belt back on. you can just use a wrench to hold it in place while you put the belt over. i have a tool to hold the crank pulley, so i cant help you with that.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Timing belt replacement question||m4r10||Service & Maintenance||11||05-07-2010 12:53 AM|
|Timing belt replacment question||E_Jay_Twenty||Service & Maintenance||10||03-31-2010 01:20 PM|
|Water pump replacement at second timing belt replacement?||doobie||Service & Maintenance||1||10-19-2007 12:12 PM|
|What else to replace while doing timing belt replacement?||the_glassman||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||3||04-16-2006 11:58 AM|
|Timing Belt Replacement Question||mykrrrr||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||3||04-14-2004 12:09 PM|