|05-02-2008, 07:46 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2008
2005 z51 Corvette
Custom Exhaust Advice
I'm brand new here and have owned my first subie for about 8 months now. It is a 2007 Impreza 2.5i. I've been lurking in the forums for quite a while but am not just beginning to post. The only mod currently on it my car Williaty's hybrid intake. I'm looking to put my next one on, and I would like that to be a custom exhaust.
I've got a reputable local shop that is able to fabricate one for me, but I wanted some advice on the specifics.
1. I've heard of two different suggested sizes for the NA motors 2.25 in and 2.5 in, what difference can I expect to see between the two? I've heard that the general consensus is 2.25 is better, why is this?
2. I want to put a high flow cat on and was wondering if there are any other specs that pertain to cats in relation to my car that I need to be aware of when discussing it with the shop. OR would I be better off going catless? Keep in mind I'm married and if the car is too loud my wife will go ape ****. Will a catless or a highflow cat cause problems with the noise issue.
3. Along the same lines, while I would like the small power gains out of the exhaust system, I also am doing it for sound. I'm not trying to be one of those people that asks "whats the best muffler," but ive been through the Exhaust/CAI thread with pics and vids and its all just overwhelming to me. Is there one or a couple relatively popular mufflers which you would suggest that I could research more in depth looking for the sound I want. I'm searching for more of a low rumble sound, but keep in mind as ive said above, I dont want something too loud, maybe a bit louder than stock.
4. Is there anything else I should keep in mind while going to talk to the tech which I haven't covered here? I can't guarentee they will be familiar enough with subies to catch something my inexperience misses.
Thanks all for your help!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|05-02-2008, 08:04 PM||#2|
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island New YorkVehicle:
2004 jbp wrx wagon
should find everything you are looking for there
|05-02-2008, 09:22 PM||#4|
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greensboro, NCVehicle:
02 AW WRX
just buy one.
major companys spend ALOT of money in designing and testing exhausts for vehicles, your not going to get anywhere near the quality of a diy/custom made exhaust.
theres a reason why a exhaust has that little bend in it at that random spot, why you ask? well i have no clue cuz im not a exhaust fabricator for a major exhaust company, but they wouldnt put it there for no reason.
ive always heard this rule, for a 4 banger n/a motor...
2.0L and lower-2.25 inch exhaust
over 2.2L- 2.5 exhaust
why i dont know... im not a exhaust designer, i just trust companys hard work in designing and testing.
just my $0.02
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|First log with my custom exhaust *ADVICE*||CenCali07sti||Open Source Reflashes||8||01-21-2008 01:24 AM|
|custom exhaust idea: need advice!||stealthWRX68||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||6||11-21-2007 07:49 AM|
|Looking for custom exhaust adviceÖ||xcntrk75||Legacy Forum||19||04-12-2005 07:01 PM|
|Custom Exhaust - Skips Exhaust Plaistow NH||WRXBanish||New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC||3||11-14-2003 07:50 PM|
|Trade! my custom Exhaust on your RS Exhaust!||SONofSAM||Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC||7||04-13-2002 03:15 PM|