Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 22, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
mysuby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 166953
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default searched everywhere, still lost.....STI parts fitment on 99 Impreza L

so i've looked for hours on this site as well as one other, and cannot find anything specific to what i have and what i'm doing. i have 99 impreza L, and i just picked up a set of 04' STI stuts for 50 bucks. no springs no top hats. my question is: what springs should i use? i was told i'd have to use 02-03 wrx lowering springs just to maintain stock height in with my car, due the the weight difference. if thats so, how much of a drop should get, if at all possible, i'd like to go down a lil with my car. also, what top hats do i need? from what i gathered, i fronts will be fine, but the backs i'm kinda confused as to what i need. also , am i gonna have any alignment issues after this swap. i soon plan on a jdm ej20 swap. daily driven, occaissional auto Xing. THNKS
mysuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy

Member#: 17301
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 05 Saabaru

Check out the suspension super sticky and then the "will this suspension fit my car" thread...
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
mysuby
Scooby Newbie

yes,..i did along with many other threads, that one only tells me that 02-07 sti struts will work but some problems, that can be corrected, and not really answering any of my questions,...so i'm sorry, i'm still in the dark as to what i need to do. my car is the 2 door model if that makes much of a difference. thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

I'm no expert but I will try to get you started. AFAIK you have 2 options:

Installed 2004 STi suspension on 2000 2.5RS describes one way to modify the stock rear mounts

can STI springs fit on older imprezas explains how to use 04-07 springs with Legacy rear tops

There used to be another nice writeup w/ pics at http://www.jdmpartstx.com/gc8_suspension/ but unfortunately that domain appears to be parked.
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
mysuby
Scooby Newbie

ok so this is what i've gathered from this so far: since i have 04 sti struts, i'll need to use 02-03 springs and rear top hats, or 04-07 springs with 90-91 legacy. now, my question is about ride hight, i dont want any higher,...i'd acutally like to drop an inch..so due the difference in weight of the model of hte cars...i need a lowering spring to maintian stock hight..or a lil drop, can i get a suggestion as to what springs...and how much drop,..to make my car sit at normal to 1 in lower...thanks so much
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
mysuby
Scooby Newbie

so really... no one can help me?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875

actually I think the best way is to use 04+ springs and front tops and perches, and 90-91 Legacy rear tops.

If you use 02-03 springs, your car will be jacked up in the rear. With the 04 stuff it should be pretty evenly lower by about an inch.

I have 04 sti suspension on my legacy, which is pretty much identical to a 1st gen impreza except a bit longer. I filed out the holes in my rear strut towers, which hasn't caused any problems but it's pretty ghetto and I don't recommend it.

The 90-91 legacy tops will both fit into your strut towers and match up to the springs.

Another option would be ground control sleeves, which you could use with the stock top mounts. I recently saw some used ones in the classifieds that would work.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote