Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday January 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
CT26SupraTurbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213393
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Tomei Powered

Default Turbo Oil return line leak

Last weekend I did some work on subaru with the help of good hands. I did
Turbo swap(with other stocker)/uppipe and replaced all the gasket on exhaust side. Car drives fantastic but

Turbo oil return line leak - STiCharles and I had to improvise to use longer return line hose because stock **** was impossible to make it fit with royal PITA AVO turbo inlet(do NOT ever get those). It is suspect to be leaking from bottom spot (up spot looks good since we improvised clamps with bolt tightening one). I cleaned the bottom spot to confirm but it was rainy and ****ty today so it was impossible to get a clean look. I am just praying for god's grace that this is not leaking but....

If these leaks, is there anyway to fix or reclamp the turbo oil return line line hose clamp w/o taking apart headers/uppipe again? because i really really do not want to mess with these again.

Any of you had any good experience with these? Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CT26SupraTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
WhyHelloOfficer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193989
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa, Fl
Vehicle:
2004 Matte White GTO
Australian Racecar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT26SupraTurbo View Post
Last weekend I did some work on subaru with the help of good hands. I did
Turbo swap(with other stocker)/uppipe and replaced all the gasket on exhaust side. Car drives fantastic but

Turbo oil return line leak - STiCharles and I had to improvise to use longer return line hose because stock **** was impossible to make it fit with royal PITA AVO turbo inlet(do NOT ever get those). It is suspect to be leaking from bottom spot (up spot looks good since we improvised clamps with bolt tightening one). I cleaned the bottom spot to confirm but it was rainy and ****ty today so it was impossible to get a clean look. I am just praying for god's grace that this is not leaking but....

If these leaks, is there anyway to fix or reclamp the turbo oil return line line hose clamp w/o taking apart headers/uppipe again? because i really really do not want to mess with these again.

Any of you had any good experience with these? Thanks.
The turbo oil drain line is a common place for oil leaks, it is a rubber line that is heat cycled and it inevitably cracks. Sometimes from the force of removing it, or sometimes from actual failure. The line is a drain, so it isn't under extreme pressure, that is why it has such a simple spring clamp on it.

My personal experience with repairing the line, I found that removing the downpipe gave me plenty of room to work underneath the turbo. Simply loosen the turbo mounting to the up-pipe so that you have room to work, and replace the line and install better quality clamps. You shouldn't have to remove the entire up-pipe and exhaust manifold, however that isn't a difficult job either.
WhyHelloOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Joebrauk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230546
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: NH
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sport Wagon
PSM

Default

I am replacing this line while I replace my turbo, I want to get all the parts together before before I start.

Is this hose something you can pick up from an auto parts store? If so what length and diameter do you suggest?
Or should I just pick it up from the dealership?
Joebrauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
get'erdone
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 67200
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Rockies
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
TiC Tok'd evoIII

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebrauk View Post
I am replacing this line while I replace my turbo, I want to get all the parts together before before I start.

Is this hose something you can pick up from an auto parts store? If so what length and diameter do you suggest?
Or should I just pick it up from the dealership?
You can get one from the dealer for a few bucks (right size) ( I was there already getting coolant)--made it easy, the old one was brittle.
get'erdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
solort
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261484
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

I just bought some 5/8 ID heater hose and would also like to know how long a piece I can use to make it easier, as well as any suggestions for lining up with the intake tube. I also would like to replace the 2 lines that are attached to the two intercooler tubes in fromt of the intercooler that exit to the passenger side. How do I get to the intake to replace that end. Thx for any suggestions.
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
phils04wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102730
Join Date: Dec 2005
Default Heater Hose for oil drain....

Heater hose IS NOT to be used for gas/oil contact. It will become extremely gummy as gas/oil will penetrate through the rubber and being right next to the heat of the turbo, the line will rupture in short time. if you dont buy the dealership hose, at least make sure you get the auto parts store hose that literally says "gas/oil use approved" on the side. I'm pretty sure I got cut to length, gas/oil approved hose for the oil drain line for my small block Chevy project from Napa
phils04wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Rez1138
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211569
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Champaign, IL
Vehicle:
03 WRX Wagon VF36
WRB Blobeye conversion

Default

I upgraded to a silicone return hose when my old rubber one started leaking. It was like the rubber hose had become a sponge and oil was constantly weeping through it. Silicone ftw!
Rez1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
CT26SupraTurbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213393
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Tomei Powered

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer View Post
The turbo oil drain line is a common place for oil leaks, it is a rubber line that is heat cycled and it inevitably cracks. Sometimes from the force of removing it, or sometimes from actual failure. The line is a drain, so it isn't under extreme pressure, that is why it has such a simple spring clamp on it.

My personal experience with repairing the line, I found that removing the downpipe gave me plenty of room to work underneath the turbo. Simply loosen the turbo mounting to the up-pipe so that you have room to work, and replace the line and install better quality clamps. You shouldn't have to remove the entire up-pipe and exhaust manifold, however that isn't a difficult job either.
Just realized what hose I used was heater hose. I will try to replace hose w/ just removing down pipe/intercooler. God I hate that ****ing AVO turbo inlet to death. I am never buying anything AVO again. AVO inlet was the main reason it was impossible to make stock one fit. But Thanks again.
CT26SupraTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
whitereximpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 54299
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Overgaard/Mesa,AZ
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
Sedona Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT26SupraTurbo View Post
God I hate that ****ing AVO turbo inlet to death. I am never buying anything AVO again.
Haha I remember the profanity the first time I ever did a turbo inlet!You should have just pulled the intake manifold and deleted the TGV and put on some nice fuel rails...thats what I did the second time around. You should be able to get at the oil return line with just the DP and intercooler off.
whitereximpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Wrex20
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265890
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: A-Town
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Plantinum Silver

Default

When I replaced my turbo with and FP I cut a longer piece of hose and used worm clamps instead of the stock spring clamps. This way when dropping the turbo in place I knew that it would seat correctly having more material and worm clamps get tighter than the spring.
Wrex20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
classicaddict
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220619
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: aberdeen MD
Vehicle:
04 wrx wagon
silver

Default

so what is the exact I/D of the oil drain hose? i am going to order a silicon hose but dont want it to be to large or small. i see a measurement of 5/8, is this correct? i do know that if a hose is just slightly to large it can leak.
classicaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
CT26SupraTurbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213393
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Tomei Powered

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex20 View Post
When I replaced my turbo with and FP I cut a longer piece of hose and used worm clamps instead of the stock spring clamps. This way when dropping the turbo in place I knew that it would seat correctly having more material and worm clamps get tighter than the spring.
that is exactly what I did. but I used heater hose which is insufficient for this application(which i didn't know at the time -_-). granted its been only a month and drove like 1k miles in total. Plus weather is like 15 degree so far.

I'm planning to work on it this saturday. HOPEFULLY I can manage somehow..

Last edited by CT26SupraTurbo; 12-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.
CT26SupraTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Scargod
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Found this thread through a search for weeping heater hose. I put new heater hose on my car for my breather A/OS setup, thinking it would be adequate.
Not every inch of it, but over most of the hose's surface it is weeping oil! Little droplets everywhere, sitting on the surface. This stuff I bought at Autozone won't work and they don't sell the larger diameters of fuel/oil resistant hose. Didn't have a problem with what was on it previously, but heater hose obviously softens and becomes porous! I could see this disintegrating before long.
What works is SAE 30R7 hose. I got it at Carquest.

Last edited by Scargod; 03-29-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: more info added
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
rdieder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257818
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: ABQ, NM
Vehicle:
2007 STi
CGM

Default

you bumped up an old thread to tell everyone you used the wrong kind of hose?
rdieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
PhillyPhan90
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 351013
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default

Rez1138, where did you find the silicone hose? I need to replace my oil return after removing my turbo. It is probably just the spring clamps which I will be replacing with worm clamps, but replacing the tube itself I don't see as a bad idea to do at the same time.
PhillyPhan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
rdieder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257818
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: ABQ, NM
Vehicle:
2007 STi
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan90 View Post
Rez1138, where did you find the silicone hose? I need to replace my oil return after removing my turbo. It is probably just the spring clamps which I will be replacing with worm clamps, but replacing the tube itself I don't see as a bad idea to do at the same time.
Why don't you send him a pm. The thread became irrelevant to him 4 years ago.
rdieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 13910
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Greenwich, CT
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

Default

Yeah really what is the size of the hose? My opened up yesterday a block from my house and it left a nice oil puddle
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #18
danger1138
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279525
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: QUEENS NY
Vehicle:
04 rex luger!

Default

Also would like to know size of hose..


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
danger1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
rdieder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257818
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: ABQ, NM
Vehicle:
2007 STi
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
Also would like to know size of hose..

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Same size as your old hose. Take your old one off and measure it, or bring it to a parts store so they can match the size. Or go to your nearest Subaru parts counter to order one for you.
rdieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 13910
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Greenwich, CT
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
Also would like to know size of hose..


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
I know how you feel... I've searched on 3 different subaru sites and no one will anwser the person for what size the hose is..

The hose size is 5/8" make sure you get a oil resistant hose!

Turbo oil return hose 5/8"
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #21
danger1138
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279525
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: QUEENS NY
Vehicle:
04 rex luger!

Default

Tnx.


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
danger1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #22
ppannell126
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436850
Join Date: Dec 2015
Default

Hi everyone
ppannell126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #23
dsx2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 393749
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppannell126 View Post
Hi everyone
hey man
dsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : AMR T50 Turbo..PRICE DROP nethngbtstk Engine/Power/Exhaust 11 12-13-2010 01:55 PM
FS : AMR T50 turbo...PRICE DROP nethngbtstk Tri-State Area Private Classifieds 6 12-13-2010 01:53 PM
FS : Ca: Red perrin turbo inlet. 02_WRX_<3 Engine/Power/Exhaust 6 11-16-2010 10:23 PM
FS/FT : CA: 1956 VW bug - 1776cc Turbo codesters2 Private Vehicle 'For Sale' Classifieds 6 11-16-2010 04:24 PM
FS : MA:V7 STi cluster/ APS turbo inlet johnny p Interior/Dressup/Audio & Security 7 11-07-2010 01:34 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.