Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 28, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Cool Looking for a few things 2017 base wrx

Hey guys i'm new to nasioc and to the wrx community i've been wanting a wrx since i got my license and now i'm 20 i'm able to finally get my dream car lol


that being said i've been wanting to know how to make my car faster without voiding the warrant and how to make my car sound better without voiding warranty


so far the only thing ive done to the car was get the rally armour mudflaps i was thinking of getting the axeback nameless exhaust and get an accessport to eventually get the aem intake so eventually i can get the "psh" sound i originally wanted UEL but a lot of people told me its not worth me trying to get the rumble back

also i want to know if anyone has winter tires for sale or know a place where i can get them for reasonable price. i was told the blizzaks are good
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Audi
A6 3.0T

Default

Want it to sound better? Buy an axle back or cat back.

Want it to be faster? Buy a j-pipe and tune.

Want a warranty? Only do a cat back or axle back. That's it.

Thousands of tire dealers have tires for sale. You can even get a bit of a discount with Tire Rack if you use our NASIOC contact.

Regardless, you just need to do more reading.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

so to make it faster im voiding warranty lol the axle was next on the list ... the nameless to be exact


and how do i do the nasioc contact discount
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Phatron Tuned

Default

UEL headers dont work with a twin scroll turbo. The whole idea of the twin scroll is to build boost quicker, more efficiently apply boost through the power band, and in general make your turbo more efficient. This requires evenly spaced exhaust pulses - which EL headers give you but UEL dont. Putting UEL headers on a in twin scroll setup defeats the purpose.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
UEL headers dont work with a twin scroll turbo. The whole idea of the twin scroll is to build boost quicker, more efficiently apply boost through the power band, and in general make your turbo more efficient. This requires evenly spaced exhaust pulses - which EL headers give you but UEL dont. Putting UEL headers on a in twin scroll setup defeats the purpose.
gotcha i get it now... so all in all my next last mode can only be the axleback or catback exhaust so anything else can be done in terms of performance dman this sucks eggs
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Phatron Tuned

Default

Axelbacks sound horrible imo.
Grab a full catback.

And its pretty standard that you cant modify warrantied cars. Theres dudes with Hellcats that are denied claims from a CAI.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
Axelbacks sound horrible imo.
Grab a full catback.

And its pretty standard that you cant modify warrantied cars. Theres dudes with Hellcats that are denied claims from a CAI.
a full cat runs about like 700$ right
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Phatron Tuned

Default

My Invidia n1 dual tip was 727, i think the single tip Invidia was like 550 or so - thats gonna be the cheapest that is still high quality.

Also, consider visiting your local exhaust shop. They probably do catbacks all the time and probably do it cheaper.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
My Invidia n1 dual tip was 727, i think the single tip Invidia was like 550 or so - thats gonna be the cheapest that is still high quality.

Also, consider visiting your local exhaust shop. They probably do catbacks all the time and probably do it cheaper.
i was looking to doing it my own because you know how shops are and over charge u for literally everything
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Miggy-Verlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 456662
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Just call them and ask, you know how much it's gonna be for a catback to buy online - see if the exhaust shop can beat the price.
A brand name catback (besides Invidia) is going to be $1000 minimum, so you've got a lot of room to negotiate with the shop.
Miggy-Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Miggy-Verlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 456662
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Alternatively, you could just replace the mid pipe - those go for about 350 or so - and leave the axelback OEM. It'll sound mildly better (less drone, little bit more aggressive) and it's much cheaper. But it won't be as loud or aggressive as a full catback.
Miggy-Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

ill definitely go for catback .. so o w just gotta search for an exhaust shop and ask them

soo besides the exhaust theres not much else i can do permanence wise so i guess after exhaust all i got left to do is visual stuff
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #13
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Phatron Tuned

Default

Unfortunately not without getting into warranty claim denial territory.

There are some intakes that claim to be plug and play, but I wouldnt recommend getting them without tuning.

But the car us fast stock, itll keep up with RT chargers and challengers like nothing.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #14
Cwo1984
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460458
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Prem
ISM

Default Looking for a few things 2017 base wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
Want it to sound better? Buy an axle back or cat back.

Want it to be faster? Buy a j-pipe and tune.

Want a warranty? Only do a cat back or axle back. That's it.

Thousands of tire dealers have tires for sale. You can even get a bit of a discount with Tire Rack if you use our NASIOC contact.

Regardless, you just need to do more reading.


Sound better and be quicker, get a turbo back or JPipe with Catback. Just getting a Catback barely adds any sound to it. Seemed for me when I installed my Corsa Catback, stock was louder, added JPipe and the glorious sound of the turbo and exhaust paired together was music to my ears.

Keep your stock parts and it's up to the dealer whether to void what with a warranty. Some dealers are cool about it whilst others will tear you apart. I have the TurboXS JPipe, Stage 2 protune and Corsa Catback and the service guys at the dealer loved the way it purred when they changed out my TOB.

Your car is pretty new and I'd say let the car become and extension of your body, learn the ins and outs of the car before increasing power and such. Everyone on the forum knows if you're itching to mod the car, it's gonna happen.

Last edited by Cwo1984; 01-19-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Cwo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 AM   #15
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwo1984 View Post
Sound better and be quicker, get a turbo back or JPipe with Catback. Just getting a Catback barely adds any sound to it. Seemed for me when I installed my Corsa Catback, stock was louder, added JPipe and the glorious sound of the turbo and exhaust paired together was music to my ears.

Keep your stock parts and it's up to the dealer whether to void what with a warranty. Some dealers are cool about it whilst others will tear you apart. I have the TurboXS JPipe, Stage 2 protune and Corsa Catback and the service guys at the dealer loved the way it purred when they changed out my TOB.

Your car is pretty new and I'd say let the car become and extension of your body, learn the ins and outs of the car before increasing power and such. Everyone on the forum knows if you're itching to mod the car, it's gonna happen.
did you install your self or took it to the shop if so roughly how much it cost
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

1. You have not read the sticky threads at the top of this forum via a computer (NOT your phone). Do so.
2. You have not read the warranty booklet in your glove compartment nor the sticky threads at the top of our warranty forum via a computer (NOT your phone). Do so.
3. The Pshhh sound. That's called Level 100 drama. Do you want that in your car? If so, research Blow Off Valves (BOVs) via item 1 above.
4. Intakes are great for 0HP and adding stumbling idle to your car. Do you want that in your car? If so, research intakes via item 1 above. Protip: these WILL cause warranty drama.
5. Sound is caused by the MUFFLER, so swapping that out is easy. Err on the side of too quiet as your neighbors and Johnny Law will hate you.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Cwo1984
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460458
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Prem
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodyx360 View Post
did you install your self or took it to the shop if so roughly how much it cost


Took it to a shop that a buddy works at and co worked it. It ran 200 but normally would've been 400 to install. It was such a btch, we had to break two of the turbo studs but ended up replacing all 4. Then had to modify the water pump heat shield to get that to fit so we didn't cause long term problems (basically a cut and weld operation but not needed just perfectionist).

Granted I had the Catback pipe already installed so after the HFC JPipe was installed we then took care of the intermediate pipe to the Catback pipe <- that was easy.

If you don't have a lift, don't do it, I can't imagine doing this without having the car 6 feet over my head.
Cwo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #18
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
1. You have not read the sticky threads at the top of this forum via a computer (NOT your phone). Do so.
2. You have not read the warranty booklet in your glove compartment nor the sticky threads at the top of our warranty forum via a computer (NOT your phone). Do so.
3. The Pshhh sound. That's called Level 100 drama. Do you want that in your car? If so, research Blow Off Valves (BOVs) via item 1 above.
4. Intakes are great for 0HP and adding stumbling idle to your car. Do you want that in your car? If so, research intakes via item 1 above. Protip: these WILL cause warranty drama.
5. Sound is caused by the MUFFLER, so swapping that out is easy. Err on the side of too quiet as your neighbors and Johnny Law will hate you.
i thought that adding an intake is better than adding the blow off valve and the exhuast part i knew about and been researching the namelesss brand
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwo1984 View Post
Took it to a shop that a buddy works at and co worked it. It ran 200 but normally would've been 400 to install. It was such a btch, we had to break two of the turbo studs but ended up replacing all 4. Then had to modify the water pump heat shield to get that to fit so we didn't cause long term problems (basically a cut and weld operation but not needed just perfectionist).

Granted I had the Catback pipe already installed so after the HFC JPipe was installed we then took care of the intermediate pipe to the Catback pipe <- that was easy.

If you don't have a lift, don't do it, I can't imagine doing this without having the car 6 feet over my head.
i was doing some research so all in all it'll cost me a G
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #20
Miggy-Verlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 456662
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Blow off valves do absolutely nothing for performance on MAF oriented car. You're AFR is going to shoot a few points rich every gear shift, and probably leak and not hold boost as well during normal WOT pulls compared with OEM, because you think the sound is cool. If you didn't understand that then it's a really ****ing good sign you need to do some research.
The stock intake is completely fine below 400-500hp - which you're not even sniffing.

Anything performance wise is going to have warranty implications. They didn't R&D the car with x,y, and z intakes/exhausts/injectors - why should they be responsible for you throwing whatever you want on the car?

You're 20, the blow off valve and the obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious exhaust makes sense; just keep in mind anybody who knows their **** and hears that on your car is going to assume you don't know what you're doing. They're gonna say "speed density?" and you're gonna say "no it's got a cold air intake" and that'll just be the end right there.
Miggy-Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #21
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy-Verlander View Post
Blow off valves do absolutely nothing for performance on MAF oriented car. You're AFR is going to shoot a few points rich every gear shift, and probably leak and not hold boost as well during normal WOT pulls compared with OEM, because you think the sound is cool. If you didn't understand that then it's a really ****ing good sign you need to do some research.
The stock intake is completely fine below 400-500hp - which you're not even sniffing.

Anything performance wise is going to have warranty implications. They didn't R&D the car with x,y, and z intakes/exhausts/injectors - why should they be responsible for you throwing whatever you want on the car?

You're 20, the blow off valve and the obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious exhaust makes sense; just keep in mind anybody who knows their **** and hears that on your car is going to assume you don't know what you're doing. They're gonna say "speed density?" and you're gonna say "no it's got a cold air intake" and that'll just be the end right there.
if anything ill add an exhaust and do light visual mods and take it to my dad job to geti it wrapped
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
Miggy-Verlander
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 456662
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

If you're gonna get a wrap, make sure that **** looks tight. Don't StreetSpeed717 youtube style and put a rainbow colored clown suit on your car

Go to your local exhaust shop and see what they want or peruse the Private Classifieds and get a used catback.

Also, if you're gonna do visual mods please don't put a wing on the back. That makes all of us look bad.

Enjoy the car man, it's not every 20 year old that gets their dream ride lol
Miggy-Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
wrbrexx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461037
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwo1984 View Post
Took it to a shop that a buddy works at and co worked it. It ran 200 but normally would've been 400 to install. It was such a btch, we had to break two of the turbo studs but ended up replacing all 4. Then had to modify the water pump heat shield to get that to fit so we didn't cause long term problems (basically a cut and weld operation but not needed just perfectionist).

Granted I had the Catback pipe already installed so after the HFC JPipe was installed we then took care of the intermediate pipe to the Catback pipe <- that was easy.

If you don't have a lift, don't do it, I can't imagine doing this without having the car 6 feet over my head.


I did my j pipe and catback with rhino ramps on the ground lol
wrbrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #24
mishapopa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 393629
Join Date: Jun 2014
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbrexx View Post
I did my j pipe and catback with rhino ramps on the ground lol
me too, that includes all the engines and transmissions i've pulled. i did round off a bolt so it was a pain.

op, if you want to keep the powertrain warranty, don't touch anything. you're 20 with a brand new wrx, don't want to turn this into a financial advice thread but, yeah, pay to play sometimes. drive the car, learn how it works, do a ton or research, pay the car off, then mod.
mishapopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #25
rodyx360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458212
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: new jersey
Vehicle:
2017 wrx
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy-Verlander View Post
If you're gonna get a wrap, make sure that **** looks tight. Don't StreetSpeed717 youtube style and put a rainbow colored clown suit on your car

Go to your local exhaust shop and see what they want or peruse the Private Classifieds and get a used catback.

Also, if you're gonna do visual mods please don't put a wing on the back. That makes all of us look bad.

Enjoy the car man, it's not every 20 year old that gets their dream ride lol
will do man lol and i dont like wings i like subtle spoilers like the stock one maybe a tad bigger and for wraps i want a matte grey all around and matte black accents is all
rodyx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.