Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday June 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
cmiovino
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 134005
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Premium
PSM

Default EJ22 Differences

There were basically three types of EJ22s available from '95-01 (talking just NA Imprezas, not really NA/FI Legacys)

'95-96 models
135 hp hp @ 5600rpm?
140 torque @ 4400rpm

'97-98 models
137 hp @ 5400 rpm
145 torque @ 4000rpm

'99-01 models
Horsepower: 142 @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 149 @ 3600 rpm

I drove a '95 LX for some time... then test drove a '99 and it had a good amount more of 'punch' to say the least even though it was the same engine. I'm assuming this was mainly due to when peak torque kicked in... and since it had a bit more too.

Anyone have some input after driving the versions of the engine after some time? (IE, you drove a '95 and jumped to a '01 or something)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
gavinl
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57891
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dublin, OH
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
Black

Default

the increase in HP and Torque are due to increase compression ratios, with that the 97> EJ22s became interference type too.
gavinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
96GreenLX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 60073
Join Date: Apr 2004
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza LX
Green

Default

There are even more differences than just horsepower and torque. Older EJ22s had dual port exhaust up to 95 where some say some 95s had dual while others had the single port. Then there is the change in 97 that made EJ22s interference engines with little horsepower gains but they where made to get better gas mileage. 96 seems to be an odd year as some searching around these forums led me to believe that if your EJ22 has the single port exhaust your engine is interference. However mine is a 96 single port and my timing got thrown off, then while changing that belt my cam sprocket moved a quarter turn on me and when I got the belt on with correct timing the car ran smoothly no noise and a lot more quite then before plus it felt like it gained horsepower. Anyway I'm sure some of this could be wrong but I'm just about positive EJ22s 97 and on are interference and 96 and below regardless of single port or dual port are non-interference.
96GreenLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

'99-'01 Are phase2. They have a larger intake manifold by a tiny bit, also the heads have redesigned intake exhaust ports that flow more than the phase1. The Valves are also bigger on the phase 2 heads. This all helps in making power. With simple bolt-ons you can get power of the 2.5L SOHC easily.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
mark7901
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70382
Join Date: Sep 2004
Default

what are the difference in exhausts for these models? I have a 95 2.2l and need to replace the mid pipe and muffler. Do any of the RS exhausts fit? (like 98 or 99?) Just looking for a cheaper alternative than OEM, thanks.
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7901 View Post
what are the difference in exhausts for these models? I have a 95 2.2l and need to replace the mid pipe and muffler. Do any of the RS exhausts fit? (like 98 or 99?) Just looking for a cheaper alternative than OEM, thanks.
You can certainly go for a free-er flowing aftermarket muffler. I would do that if it was me. Have a catback made with a resonator in the middle. 2.25" If you are daily. 2.5" IF you want power output.

I would not go back to OEM again for power performance. However if wanting quietness it is the one to go back to. Yes the 2.5RS catback bolts up
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
rallifan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132786
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza TS
Artic Silver Metallic

Default

I have a 01 TS and I have teseted an 99 L Forrester with a 2.2 and I was very disappointed(as this was my first time driving a Subaru) that did not stop me to buy a Subie. When I test drove my Impreza it was like night/ day. My Impreza was much more powerful than the Forester. It has it's issues(can't hang on the gears like the Honda's, not a huge fan of cold wheather starts/closed looped running/needs a 6th gear/ ect). You don't think of those things when other drivers are stuggling in the snow/ice and rain as you all have noticed. My EJ2.2 is a phase 2 motor the 2.5 does have a lot of different stuff(mostly sensor set up stuff) but pulley kits, ground kits , air induction kits ect and usually bolt on..any who I love the car I just want it to handle better(oversteer issues)
rallifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
FuJi K
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3687
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Paul, MN
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default

If I remember correctly the USDM Foester never came with a 2.2L. I came with a 2.5L DOHC NA to start out with, followed by the turbo 2.5L in '04+.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
rallifan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132786
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza TS
Artic Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallifan View Post
I have a 01 TS and I have teseted an 99 L Forrester with a 2.2 and I was very disappointed(as this was my first time driving a Subaru) that did not stop me to buy a Subie. When I test drove my Impreza it was like night/ day. My Impreza was much more powerful than the Forester. It has it's issues(can't hang on the gears like the Honda's, not a huge fan of cold wheather starts/closed looped running/needs a 6th gear/ ect). You don't think of those things when other drivers are stuggling in the snow/ice and rain as you all have noticed. My EJ2.2 is a phase 2 motor the 2.5 does have a lot of different stuff(mostly sensor set up stuff) but pulley kits, ground kits , air induction kits ect and usually bolt on..any who I love the car I just want it to handle better(oversteer issues)


Still have this car! It is actually an awesome car. It is a great cold weather car! It starts every time , has take your jacket off heat and handles great with winter tires!! It is actually a very great car to drive! Everything is where you need it for driving at a faster pace. It is like a stunt car making anyone look like a rally driver. I have put 100,000km on it. I love this car!! Getting rusty . I would like to put new metal on her. This 2.2 motor is peppy and can rev. I have come to really appreciate this car as a drivers car! I can only compare it to a 99 forester I test drove which wasn't very excited and my 2006 Legacy wagon which is very refined and does not like to be driven in any other manner than a safe one to mildly spirited manner. Such a different car!
rallifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
lpxltt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395574
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Almost Cape Cod, MA
Vehicle:
2007 OBS

Default

Gearing matters as well as the engine. Both cars have a 3.9 final but the individual gears are spaced differently. I also believe tire size is different.

On top of that there could be issues with the actual car itself. A clogged cat or bad spark plugs can really make a difference on the older 2.2s.

With that being said, the engines are different by a good deal. The heads changed a lot and they also became interference engines after 97. In 97 they also started to have HG issues like the 2.5 cars. Not as common, but they do fail a lot more often after this point.

As for the 95 - I think a good set of headers really opens those cars up and anything from an RS will bolt up to the heads. The 95 2.2 is probably the last true "bullet proof" engines.
lpxltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
rallifan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132786
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza TS
Artic Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpxltt View Post
Gearing matters as well as the engine. Both cars have a 3.9 final but the individual gears are spaced differently. I also believe tire size is different.



On top of that there could be issues with the actual car itself. A clogged cat or bad spark plugs can really make a difference on the older 2.2s.



With that being said, the engines are different by a good deal. The heads changed a lot and they also became interference engines after 97. In 97 they also started to have HG issues like the 2.5 cars. Not as common, but they do fail a lot more often after this point.



As for the 95 - I think a good set of headers really opens those cars up and anything from an RS will bolt up to the heads. The 95 2.2 is probably the last true "bullet proof" engines.


Add the 2001 year....the last year of that motor.
rallifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
lpxltt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395574
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Almost Cape Cod, MA
Vehicle:
2007 OBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallifan View Post
Add the 2001 year....the last year of that motor.
I disagree, they still have HG failure on par with the 2.5 from what I have seen. The difference is that it appears to take longer for them to be a major issue with over heating issues and the failure modes are mostly external. The cars can still be "fine" with a failing HG, but I wouldn't call it "Bullet Proof" because of that reason.

We looked at a bunch before my dad scrapped is 00 Imp, we found one with a failed HG with only 43k on the clock. At least six different engines from 00-01 and every single one of them had signs of HG failure. We decided it wasn't worth installing a new engine when it would cost ~$400 ($400 for the long block, $400 for all the seals, fluids, timing, etc.) on a car that was only going to pass inspection another year or two due to rust.
lpxltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
rallifan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 132786
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza TS
Artic Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpxltt View Post
I disagree, they still have HG failure on par with the 2.5 from what I have seen. The difference is that it appears to take longer for them to be a major issue with over heating issues and the failure modes are mostly external. The cars can still be "fine" with a failing HG, but I wouldn't call it "Bullet Proof" because of that reason.



We looked at a bunch before my dad scrapped is 00 Imp, we found one with a failed HG with only 43k on the clock. At least six different engines from 00-01 and every single one of them had signs of HG failure. We decided it wasn't worth installing a new engine when it would cost ~$400 ($400 for the long block, $400 for all the seals, fluids, timing, etc.) on a car that was only going to pass inspection another year or two due to rust.


Actually that just sounds like a failed attempt for a warranty claim(3/60 000km). A car that just sat- at that point the Coolant and the oil start eating away at things( probably why Subaru offers a anti-freeze conditioner). People that love to change there odometers out for lower reading ones. And just plain old neglect. And when you say had signs of HG failure I assumed you pressure tested the coolant system or analyzed the oil/ coolant or just visually checked both. Or look at the gasket by removing the head without damaging the gasket to visually check then decked the head for warpage. And definitely ruled out the valve cover gaskets can be tricky and often lead people to the wrong conclusion.
rallifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
wtdash
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59182
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: N. Idaho
Vehicle:
2002 WRX GG>>
2016 Focus RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallifan View Post
And when you say had signs of HG failure I assumed you pressure tested the coolant system or analyzed the oil/ coolant or just visually checked both. Or look at the gasket by removing the head without damaging the gasket to visually check then decked the head for warpage. And definitely ruled out the valve cover gaskets can be tricky and often lead people to the wrong conclusion.
You don't need to do any of that. The Phase 2 ('99+) EJxxx engines EXTERNALLY leak, which is visible - both the 2.2 and 2.5 - like this. Doesn't mean the HG has completely failed...but it's imminent:


and this:
wtdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
HugeFrank
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309210
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
You can certainly go for a free-er flowing aftermarket muffler. I would do that if it was me. Have a catback made with a resonator in the middle. 2.25" If you are daily. 2.5" IF you want power output.

I would not go back to OEM again for power performance. However if wanting quietness it is the one to go back to. Yes the 2.5RS catback bolts up
I had a 98 Impreza with the 2.2 and had a 2.25" catback with an RS muffler and it sounded sick and pulled harder than my stock 98 RS. And I guess less chance of blowing the head gasket, lol!!
HugeFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
Charlie-III
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdash View Post
You don't need to do any of that. The Phase 2 ('99+) EJxxx engines EXTERNALLY leak, which is visible - both the 2.2 and 2.5 - like this. Doesn't mean the HG has completely failed...but it's imminent:


and this:
Our 99 Impreza L wagon 2.2L was nice clean and dry on the outside when we had a HG blow internally. It just decided one day to "overheat" and we all know the rest.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #17
lpxltt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395574
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Almost Cape Cod, MA
Vehicle:
2007 OBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdash View Post
You don't need to do any of that. The Phase 2 ('99+) EJxxx engines EXTERNALLY leak, which is visible - both the 2.2 and 2.5 - like this. Doesn't mean the HG has completely failed...but it's imminent:


and this:
Basically this. Almost all of the engines looked like the second photo. Externally failing HG. Again, common on any EJ past 1995ish. All three of my 1995 and older EJ22 cars have not had any HG issue, internal or external. The first two were abused - the 1994 I sold at 240k and the 1993 with over 300k. While they did leak out of almost every other seal, the HGs were fine.

My current 1995 is also solid. The verdict is still out on it; however, as it only has 138k on the clock.

Every other non-turbo EJ I have owned has had HG issues and that includes EJ251s, EJ25D (obviously), EJ253s (both with and without VVT), and single port EJ22s. I'm also pretty sure the only reason the EJ205 in the WRX didn't have HG issues was because they were replaced when the engine was rebuilt under warranty, thus replaced early.
lpxltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences between pre-'99 and '99+ EJ22? Hites Normally Aspirated Powertrain 1 12-04-2007 08:54 PM
Difference between ej22 and ej251 shortblocks 012.5RS Subaru Conversions 7 04-20-2007 03:34 PM
difference between phase 1 & 2 ej22 JonofScio Normally Aspirated Powertrain 0 11-27-2005 10:51 PM
Are there 2 different blocks for the EJ22 motor? Young_Legacy_driver Newbies & FAQs 2 04-04-2004 11:26 AM
Need specs on EJ20 and EJ22 pistons (any difference?) Sordid Philosopher Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 7 10-02-2002 12:35 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.