Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
GuizmoPhil
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437022
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default [Work in progress] 2011 base Impreza w/ 2011+ WRX/STi Steering wheel and full SWC

Hello,

First I'd like to mention that I've searched multiple forum about this. The closest links to my situation that I've found are the following:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2552881
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2529864

But unfortunately, that is not my scenario.

In the two above post, people are retrofitting a 2011+ steering wheel with Bluetooth pod, or just adding a Bluetooth pod to their 2008-2010 car. Theses cars comes with the Roll Connector (clockspring) part number 83196FG020.

I own a 2011 base Impreza, the clockspring in it is 83196FG030, which have all the wires for the Bluetooth pod in it. See below picture.

I swaped my steering wheel for one from a wrecked 2013 STI. It came with all the bells and whisles. Installing the wheel was super easy.

Since I have a base Impreza, I still had the old stock Clarion head unit from the 2008-2010 cars. So obsiously, none of the volume controls would be working, because they use different resistance value that my head unit cannot recognize, and, the Bluetooth buttons wouldn't work because I didn't had the Bluetooth feature on this head unit anyway.

So far, so good, everything was making sense. Doing my researches and everything prior to buying all my equipment for an aftermarket head unit was going good. Got my wiring harness, got my after market head unit with remote input, got my Axxess ASWC-1.

But here's the error I did: Since I have the 2011+ clockspring, I assumed that the wiring harness to the head unit would be wired with SWC controls on pins 4,13 & 14.

Unfortunately for me, the head unit harness is wired the old way. Pin 4,11 and 14 are wired, and pin 13 is free. See below picture.

Now I have a couple of questions.

1- Can I simply move pin 11 to pin 13 in the harness? Nope

If not, I'd imagine I would have to find the other end of the wire, and make sure it is also in the correct pin on the other end.

2- If that is the case, does any one of you know where the other end of this harness is located?

3- If you do, (I havn't googled yet about this), if someone could point me to a good tutorial on how to get into the dash where that other end is located, as I have no clue how to disassemble the dash, apart from removing the side panel to gain access to the fuses.

4- Is there any other harness I would need to look in between the clockspring and the head unit harness? Yes there is ST1/B68 to B38. And B38/i3 to i85(head unit).

I know that the pro on the matter is David C. aka SVXdc, but I though it would be better asking on the forum, so that my thread might help someone else too, than just sending him an email or PM.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil

Last edited by GuizmoPhil; 06-16-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: grammar correction
GuizmoPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
GuizmoPhil
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 2.5i hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Ok, it seems that the wire harness from behind the clockspring (roll connector) is B68 according to the following PDF found on Subaru Tech Info.

http://guizmo.biz/gogosses/guizmobil...0BEV12_736.pdf

And here's the pinout of the B68 connector according to this other PDF also found on Subaru Tech Info.

http://guizmo.biz/gogosses/guizmobil...0BEV12_711.pdf

According to this, the B68 connector should have pins 13, 5 & 6 wired.

According to this PDF, pins 13 and 5 goes to the illumination system (dimmer and +12V accessory). Those are for the phone/handsfree buttons.

Since I have illimination on my handsfree buttons, and that the dimmer works also on them, I'm guessing that pins 13 and 5 are wired properly also.

I don't see why B68 pin 6 would'nt be wired to pin 20 of the B38 connector, but I'll have to take a look at it to be sure.

Then it goes from pin 20 of the B38 connector to pin 13 of the I85 connector (head unit harness).

Now that I know how to wire properly the whole thing, I need to find out how to gain access to those wires connectors has they are behind the wheel. Need a dash disassembly guide or something.

Last edited by GuizmoPhil; 06-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
GuizmoPhil
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 2.5i hatchback
Satin White Pearl

I managed to find a picture of the instrument panel wiring harness showing that I3 male plug.

I've circled in red the connectors that match the plug. As you can see, there are 2 connectors with the same shape, one is designated by I1 and the other by I3 on the wiring diagram.

I beleive that the I1 is going somewhere below/left of the head unit, and that I3 is going somewhere behind the speed indicator or below the wheel.

Time to find that dash removal guide and hope for some sun, it's been raining forever lately.

Last edited by GuizmoPhil; 06-29-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: forgot to attach picture.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
GuizmoPhil
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 2.5i hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Sorry to revive my old topic, but I'd rather give more information here than create another topic for anyone wanting to do the same as I did, which is installing a Steering wheel with bluetooth pod to a 2011 plain base Impreza.

Beside, this topic has been seen a lot, so my guess is a bunch of people might be interredted.

So here we go again:

A year ago I was mentionning that somehow along the way from the roll connector to the head unit, one cable was not wired in our vehicule.

I have investigated the thing more and found out that pin 6 on B68 to pin 20 on B38 is wired properly. The cable is blue & white ("LW" on wiring diagram).

Which means that there's simply no wire from the male connector i3 on pin 20 (which goes into B38 socket) to the head unit (which is i85 connector on pin A13).

Since getting access to the B38/i3 plug/connector requires you to remove the whole damn dash of the car, I would advise another solution. Instead of tapping into the blue & white wire near the B38 female plug, you can tap into that same blue & white wire, but from the other, near the B68 male connector.

You'll have to remove the trim of the steering column. I havn't found any manual for this, so I'll provide pictures when I can get in touch with a friend of mine who got a much better camera on his phone, because I you won't see anything with my camera if I take the pictures with it.

Basically, there's 1 black philips screw below the steering wheel. Removing this screw allows you to remove the lower trimm of the steering column. Once you remove the screw, you just have to wiggle a little and the plastic pins will unclip, you'll be able to separate it from the upper trim.

Once the lower trim is removed, you'll have to remove 3 silver philips screws from below. Two of those are easily accessible from the left side of the colmun, you can also easily see that they hold the plastic of the upper trim, nothing else.

One of those screw is toward the front of the colum, it is screwed in a long plastic post. The other one is toward the back, you'll have to unlock the steering column height adjustment handle to be able to properly place your screw driver into that screw, unless you have a very short screwdriver.

The last and third screw is a pain to see, but it is at the same position at the front, than the first one with the plastic post, but on the right side of the column. There is however no plastic post there, so the screw if deeply hidden in the cables, but there's a straight openning the a long screwdriver to reach it.

The only way you'll be able to see this screw, is with a flash light (not a flesh light ) and you'll have to be upside-down looking up, below the steering column. Do not attempt it you have high pressure blood.

Once those 3 silver philips screws are removed, you're not done yet, as there seems to be not enough room to clear the trim when you remove the upper trim, even with the steering at the lower heigh.

I've had to remove the cluster trim. This cluster trimm is simply held by pins, so you have to pull straight towards you the trim. Here's a tutorial from the service manual.

Once the cluster trim is removed, you have plenty of space to remove the upper steering column trim.

You'll find the B68 connector on the right side of the steering column.

I've taken the following pictures for you.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
confirm045
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478049

I have a 2014 STI A-Line (Japanese Version) and i i have the same B68 connector. However, the pin going to the player is only 14 pins instead of 20 pins. And i had just changed my steering to one that has SWC. I bought ASWC-1 as well. So how do i make my SWC work with my player? btw, my player has a separate wire for SWC.

thanks
confirm045 is offline   Reply With Quote