Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 27, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
KM77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431308
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lightning Red

Default Moving to AK with my 16 STi

I'll be moving to Fairbanks in June from upstate NY. I'm trying to see what's going on in Fairbanks, i.e. tuners, clubs, meets, etc.

Also, if anyone has any advice (winter prep/maintenance for the car, good places to live, or any other info you'd like to share) I'm all ears!

Hopefully I'll meet some of you guys soon.
KM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
AkRsWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 227477
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Galaxy Blue

Welcome! Not much in the way of tuners up in Fairbanks, closest for that would be down in the Anchorage area. Check out Facebook for the Fairbanks Subie Meets group. Quite a few members on there and great access to info for the local area.
AkRsWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
KM77
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lightning Red

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll check that out.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Jvell
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 439857
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
Blue Plasma Pearl

Autostart and don't eat the organic whoppers...really bitter

If you don't mind me asking, why the move?
Jvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
KM77
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvell View Post
Autostart and don't eat the organic whoppers...really bitter

If you don't mind me asking, why the move?
I'm in the Army. Just changing duty stations.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Jvell
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 439857
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
Blue Plasma Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM77 View Post
I'm in the Army. Just changing duty stations.
thank you for your service.....I got a buddy that just got out a couple of years ago....he was stationed at Wainwright, I was stationed at Elmendorf.

I was in Alaska for ten years and loved every minute of it, Im not going to sugar coat anything for you, Fairbanks isn't really a "happening" place, but just like everything in the world, you can either follow the negative crowd (people who say it sucks there and blah blah) or you can be different and explore on your own and find out what AK has to offer.......the way I see it, you have a Subaru and going to Ak....I would have killed to have my Subaru up there.

Good luck with the move and get ready to see some of the most beautiful things mother nature has to offer....I highly recommend traveling around the state while your stationed there.
Jvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
KM77
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvell View Post
thank you for your service.....I got a buddy that just got out a couple of years ago....he was stationed at Wainwright, I was stationed at Elmendorf.

I was in Alaska for ten years and loved every minute of it, Im not going to sugar coat anything for you, Fairbanks isn't really a "happening" place, but just like everything in the world, you can either follow the negative crowd (people who say it sucks there and blah blah) or you can be different and explore on your own and find out what AK has to offer.......the way I see it, you have a Subaru and going to Ak....I would have killed to have my Subaru up there.

Good luck with the move and get ready to see some of the most beautiful things mother nature has to offer....I highly recommend traveling around the state while your stationed there.
I appreciate it, thank you for your service as well.

I always take what people have to say about a place with a grain of salt. Everything is what you make of it for the most part. I love the outdoors. I'm a big hunter and fisherman and I spend a lot of time hiking, climbing, and exploring. I can't wait to get up there and enjoy what mother nature has to offer.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159474
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Yeah you're going to have a blast then! I'm fairly the opposite. I enjoy a good hike, but everything has to wrap up within a day, so that usually rules out hunting and camping. Not my thing, thus why I moved to the East Coast.

Stay outside and you'll love it! Especially the wildlife and northern lights! Also there are just moose there, no deer! I hate the deer down here!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22923
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM77 View Post
I appreciate it, thank you for your service as well.

I always take what people have to say about a place with a grain of salt. Everything is what you make of it for the most part. I love the outdoors. I'm a big hunter and fisherman and I spend a lot of time hiking, climbing, and exploring. I can't wait to get up there and enjoy what mother nature has to offer.
You'll be in paradise then! Alaska is off the scale for those types of things...no comparison to lower 48 stuff!
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote