Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Lagwag423
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 231541
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 JDM STI con.
Yellow

Default Brembo GT Kit Question.

Has anyone with the Brembo GT BBK Part# 1A1.6010A used Stoptech 2 piece floating Rotors and hardware? Stoptech sells the same size as the Brembo 328x28.
Lagwag423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
CPC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 123085
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

I've got the next size up in that kit - 330mm. I'm using the Stoptech ring bolted up to the Brembo hat. No issues. All good. See's racing and no failures.

Chris.
CPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
BremboGuy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 192331

It doesn't fit without modification to the Brembo hat/bell.
For obvious reasons that's not advisable.

I have seen it done on a few different occasions, against Brembo's wiser recommendations, and the results have been near catastrophic. There are just too many variances in manufacturing tolerances, material quality, and the purpose/functionality of the different hardware. The performance of an complete brake system is only as good as the weakest link, and I have seen failures of the other brands rotors, and hardware when used with the Brembo hats/bells.

If you are trying to "save" money by going with another brands discs, you may want to talk to some people who own that particular product for their own Subaru. Ask them how long their rotors and pads have lasted, and what their particular driving style and usage consisted of. Compare that to your personal experience with the Brembo kit and I think you may be pleasantly surprised to find out that you may spend more money for the proper Brembo discs, but that will prove to be the more cost effective solution when you realize how much longer they have/will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwag423 View Post
Has anyone with the Brembo GT BBK Part# 1A1.6010A used Stoptech 2 piece floating Rotors and hardware? Stoptech sells the same size as the Brembo 328x28.
BremboGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
CPC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 123085
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BremboGuy View Post
It doesn't fit without modification to the Brembo hat/bell.
For obvious reasons that's not advisable.
Some hats don't require the lip machined off. Some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BremboGuy View Post
I have seen it done on a few different occasions, against Brembo's wiser recommendations, and the results have been near catastrophic. There are just too many variances in manufacturing tolerances, material quality, and the purpose/functionality of the different hardware. The performance of an complete brake system is only as good as the weakest link, and I have seen failures of the other brands rotors, and hardware when used with the Brembo hats/bells.

If you are trying to "save" money by going with another brands discs, you may want to talk to some people who own that particular product for their own Subaru. Ask them how long their rotors and pads have lasted, and what their particular driving style and usage consisted of. Compare that to your personal experience with the Brembo kit and I think you may be pleasantly surprised to find out that you may spend more money for the proper Brembo discs, but that will prove to be the more cost effective solution when you realize how much longer they have/will last.
If you mean correctly fitting a StopTech ring to a Brembo hat will result in "catastrophic" consequences, you're wrong. I don't know why you'd even say that (unless you work for Brembo them or sell them). The StopTech/Brembo rotor is quite a common fitment.

Chris.
CPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
BremboGuy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 192331

Yes, I work for them,... but that means nothing less than the fact that I have first hand experiences and results of the products.

When someone has another brands brake kit and inquires with me about upgrading to Brembo discs...I still offer the same advice. I could sell a few dozen sets of rotors per month if I wanted to, but I turn down sales specifically for the best interest of the customer, regardless of what brake kit they have.

Here's an image of the modification required for the 328x28mm discs...

And here's an image of just one possible result due to the many variances of the products that I described in my previous post...

I do consider cracked hardware to be potentially "catastrophic".

Other results have been cracking of the disc itself near the rotor flange...excessive wear to the aluminum bell...and excessive steering wheel judder due to runout. These are problems that are NOT at all common with Brembo brake kits when the proper disc and hardware are used.

And even if there have been some people who have not had any of these unfortunate results, the fact that there is a significant percentage of people who have is more than enough reason to offer a bit of warning to future consumers.

The modification to the hat is NOT the main problem with using another brands discs on our hats, although that does immediately void the warranty of that item because it is no longer able to be used with a Brembo disc. (this is most upsetting to the owner of the kit because after he incurs the problem due to bad advice, it is now much more costly to return the kit back to original condition). The MAIN problems are due to the subtle, but obvious differences in the components,...rotor rings and hardware.

I'm not going to get into the inherent design issues with the other brands trying to supply discs for Brembo hats, but when you compare the components side by side there are distinct differences.

Common sense approach...
If you call StopTech directly, they will not take responsibility for the results of using their discs with another companies brake kit,...so what does that itself tell you?

To further prove the point,...Because of the small, but consistent demand for people wanting to try and save money by going to a cheaper disc, they have started producing full assemblies which include their own hats to avoid the recognized problems.

Feel free to pursue that route if you want,...but my advice to the OP was to take a look at his personal experience with the Brembo discs and compare that with the results of people with other brands. Saving money on an initial purchase sounds like a good idea, that is, until you realize that the actual VALUE is in the product that lasts significantly longer with less consumable wear and replacement over time.

There's a reason Brembo costs more initially, but is still the #1 choice among serious enthusiasts and in every level of professional racing alike. But that's a different thread topic all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC View Post
I don't know why you'd even say that (unless you work for Brembo them or sell them). The StopTech/Brembo rotor is quite a common fitment.

Chris.
BremboGuy is offline   Reply With Quote