Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday May 26, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
XFalcon162
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133890
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX / STi
WR Blue

Unhappy 06-07 STI Holy Shift Kit TiC Bushing Issue.

Alright so I just got the 06-07 STI Holy shift kit from Image Import Racing, go and and install it only to find out all the TiC Bushings do not fit at all, the Pivot Bushings were too big, and the Linkage Bushings were too small. The Kartboy bushing all fit like a dream. Just wish I still didnt have that shifter slop in it.....Has anyone else have this issue??
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
XFalcon162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd
02 Forester S

Default

There are different versions depending on your model year. I'd make sure you have the correct ones to match the linkage and lever used in your car. Is there a chance your car might have different parts in it from factory build?

I have not had the best experience with their bushing fitments. Kartboy bushings as you noted fit very well.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
XFalcon162
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133890
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX / STi
WR Blue

Default

It was the right kit I matched it up, and made sure it was for 06-07 STI, also when I received it I made sure to verify it again, I tend to be anal like that when it comes to parts for fitment, the side to side slop is jist about gone so, I may see if they sent me the wrong ones when I fit them on my wrx.
XFalcon162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 93646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Default

You must be Thomas.

You were shipped two kits.
Kit 1) 06+ STi holy shift set.
Kit 2) 06-14 5MT holy shift set narrow.

Here's how they break down:
Kit 1)
Kartboy 6mt front stay bushing
Kartboy rear stay bushing
TiC 06+ linkage bushings
TiC 6MT pivot bushings

Kit 2)
Kartboy 5MT front stay bushing
Kartboy rear stay bushing (same as what is in kit 1)
TiC 06+ linkage bushings (same as what is in kit 1)
TiC 5MT pivot bushings with the narrow crush tube. This is different than what is in kit 1.

6MT pivot bushing has a wider crush tube, the bushings have a slightly larger OD, and have a thicker flange than the 5MT narrow pivot bushings.

IF you have a stock shift lever in an 08+ car then you need to use the 5MT pivot bushing wide. Subaru made a slight change to the 6MT levers starting in late 07. IF you have an aftermarket 6mt lever then you will need the 6MT pivot bushing.

Linkage bushings -
We have a few varieties due to changes from Subaru over the years. Since your profile says wrx/sti did you do a 6MT swap into a WRX? If so then we need to know what linkage you have.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 93646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
There are different versions depending on your model year. I'd make sure you have the correct ones to match the linkage and lever used in your car. Is there a chance your car might have different parts in it from factory build?

I have not had the best experience with their bushing fitments. Kartboy bushings as you noted fit very well.
Please fill me in. I'd like to investigate what you didn't like about fitment.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
Please fill me in. I'd like to investigate what you didn't like about fitment.
Not sure if within this thread is best but since you asked. Below is a range of my optimal and sub-optimal experiences with these bushing kits. After more than a few years of wrenching I expect any aftermarket parts might need some extra work. I might also have an overly lofty level of expectations. Keep in mind this is not a dig by any means.

~Jun 2011 Rear diff bar (comfort) bushings - kit fit well and I feel is a good alternative to going with the groupN part. I had no issues using this.

~Sep 2016 Rear diff bar (race) bushings - replaced comfort versions with this kit, fit well and I feel is a good alternative to going with the groupN "circuit" part. I will continue to use this.

~Jul 2012 and ~Oct 2013 Trans crossmember CBR bushings - these fit well on multiple cars I have had, the CBR discolors over time but who really sees that anyways. I will continue to use these.

~Jul 2012 6MT lever pivot kit - crush tube to bushing ID fit was tight, bushing OD to lever bore was tight, crush tube improper length, had to face off both bushings to provide proper crush tube protrusion. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications.

~Jul 2012 6MT linkage bushing kit (TIC_04-05_STI_SLB since my 6MT swap used 2005 parts) - I did know installation process is tricky on these prior to starting, careful install still resulted in tight linkage with way too much resistance, emailed, no significant assistance, I "guess" these are inexpensive parts but..., put OEM parts back in, restocked this kit into the garbage can. I recommend installing new OEM parts over this kit.

~Oct 2013 5MT upgraded linkage assembly - crush tube to bushing ID fit was tight, bushing OD to linkage bore was tight, crush tubes improper length, had to face off all bushings to provide proper crush tube protrusion. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications. I reviewed it >HERE<

~Nov 2013 5MT lever pivot kit - crush tube to bushing ID fit was loose, bushing OD to lever bore was tight, basically the same amount of OEM slop relocated to a different portion of the assembly, sold that kit off. *Reconfigured a 6MT pivot kit, reduced bushing ID to install in the 5MT lever, see 6MT lever pivot comments above. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications. I reviewed it >HERE<


I do applaud your use stainless crush tubes as often as possible.

Last edited by JarHarms; 03-23-2017 at 09:27 PM.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
XFalcon162
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133890
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX / STi
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post
You must be Thomas.

You were shipped two kits.
Kit 1) 06+ STi holy shift set.
Kit 2) 06-14 5MT holy shift set narrow.

Here's how they break down:
Kit 1)
Kartboy 6mt front stay bushing
Kartboy rear stay bushing
TiC 06+ linkage bushings
TiC 6MT pivot bushings

Kit 2)
Kartboy 5MT front stay bushing
Kartboy rear stay bushing (same as what is in kit 1)
TiC 06+ linkage bushings (same as what is in kit 1)
TiC 5MT pivot bushings with the narrow crush tube. This is different than what is in kit 1.

6MT pivot bushing has a wider crush tube, the bushings have a slightly larger OD, and have a thicker flange than the 5MT narrow pivot bushings.

IF you have a stock shift lever in an 08+ car then you need to use the 5MT pivot bushing wide. Subaru made a slight change to the 6MT levers starting in late 07. IF you have an aftermarket 6mt lever then you will need the 6MT pivot bushing.

Linkage bushings -
We have a few varieties due to changes from Subaru over the years. Since your profile says wrx/sti did you do a 6MT swap into a WRX? If so then we need to know what linkage you have.
I have both a 2008 WRX with an SPT STS, and a 2007 STI, I have not opened the 5 speed kit and I wont be installing that kit for a couple of weeks when I push it back in the garage to drop the new motor into it.

As I said when I emailed you, I verified I had the correct kit for the 2007 STI on the package even had the PN wrote on it, and cross referenced it with your site, as well as the invoice. the pivot Bushing was too small on the 6mt kit, and the Linkage bushing was too big, now since I did receive the emails asking for pics, On my next day off I will bring it back in the garage take pics of the pivot bushings and linkage bushings as requested. to show you what is going on and hopefully we can resolve this issue.
XFalcon162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 93646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Default

feedback and questions embedded in the quote.

Not at all taking this as a dig. We value feedback on our products so that if there are issues we can address them. Sadly, we don't get much feedback on things until a thread like this pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
Not sure if within this thread is best but since you asked. Below is a range of my optimal and sub-optimal experiences with these bushing kits. After more than a few years of wrenching I expect any aftermarket parts might need some extra work. I might also have an overly lofty level of expectations. Keep in mind this is not a dig by any means.

Rear diff bar (comfort) bushings - kit fit well and I feel is a good alternative to going with the groupN part. I had no issues using this.

> Cool.

Rear diff bar (race) bushings - replaced comfort versions with this kit, fit well and I feel is a good alternative to going with the groupN "circuit" part. I will continue to use this.

> Cool.

Trans crossmember CBR bushings - these fit well on multiple cars I have had, the CBR discolors over time but who really sees that anyways. I will continue to use these.

> yeah - we wanted to do a different color vs black, blue or yellow that others are using. I figured the old subaru standby of "cherry blossom" pink would be a good way to go. I have to confess when the stock that we have now runs out I'll likely do a different color. I just haven't figured out what yet.

6MT lever pivot kit - crush tube to bushing ID fit was tight, bushing OD to lever bore was tight, crush tube improper length, had to face off both bushings to provide proper crush tube protrusion. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications.

> how long ago was this? we have changed the crush tubes in the past few months, and if it's more recent than that then I need to look into that.

6MT linkage bushing kit - I did know installation process is tricky on these prior to starting, careful install still resulted in tight linkage with way too much resistance, emailed, no significant assistance, I "guess" these are inexpensive parts but..., put OEM parts back in, restocked this kit into the garbage can. I recommend installing new OEM parts over this kit.

> Which kit? 04/05 sti or 06+? I know the 04/05 sti fit is rather right and I've been thinking of changing it up since I'm pretty sure the mold is getting close to end of life.

5MT upgraded linkage assembly - crush tube to bushing ID fit was tight, bushing OD to linkage bore was tight, crush tubes improper length, had to face off all bushings to provide proper crush tube protrusion. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications.

5MT lever pivot kit - crush tube to bushing ID fit was loose, bushing OD to lever bore was tight, basically the same amount of OEM slop relocated to a different portion of the assembly, sold that kit off. *Reconfigured a 6MT pivot kit, reduced bushing ID to install in the 5MT lever, see 6MT lever pivot comments above. I still use this and it functions well after my modifications.

> Uses the same crush tube as above so let me know time frame on those as well. if it's recent then I need to address the crush tubes.

I do applaud your use stainless crush tubes as often as possible.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd
02 Forester S

Default

Ahh. The installs that I can verify a date on are added above in blue so your product updates likely address the issues. I might suggest that you indicate a part revision occurred and when. There may be others out there that had a sub-optimal experience before but might attempt a revisit if they know about these revisions. Just saying we don't have ESP...

No worries on the CBR, I don't see the color fade as an issue just noting the change. I'd say if you go to another color then you loose some of your differentiation (visual) from other brands.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.