Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 21, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Justdoit12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463769
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Best Suspension kit

I have a 2014 Impreza Wrx hatch back and I'm tryna look for good suspension kit that's good for streets that are uneven and bumpy at times with small pot holes. Currently have an 18x8 wheel with 245/40R18W Yoko S. Drives tires on now car is on OEM suspension and every time I run ove a pot hole tires rub a little against the inside fender. Any suggestions would be appreciated
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Justdoit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
binny
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198108
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
MY98 WRX
Blue

Default

Suspension won't really help unless you plan on raising the ride height so the tyres don't rub

~ unless you get super stiff springs and dampers
binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Mike_Feal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462296
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Riverside, CA
Vehicle:
1993 Mazda RX-7
Silver

Default

Check out the Feal 441 kit. The 441 kit will soak up all the poor road conditions and remain comfortable while maintaining a very planted feeling. Feel free to send us an email if you have any questions.

GH WRX 441/Max Travel/Road Race spec kits
Mike_Feal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
kingsalami
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 206257
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Yukon, OK
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-door
White

Default

I'm running the same size tire on my '09 WRX hatch, but don't have any rubbing issues. That's strange for stock suspension. I'll bet your shocks are completely shot. Is the ride "bouncy"--bobbing up and down a bit after hitting a bump?
You need better damping to control shock compression (and extension) speed. I'd suggest Koni shocks with your stock springs. They will lower you about 1/4 - 1/2 inch, but will resist blowing through your suspension travel much better than your worn out stockers.
King makes stock ride height springs that are a bit stiffer than OEM. Your OEM springs are fairly anemic @ 217 lbs. front & 194 lbs. rear. I'm running 2011 STI springs with Konis, but they may be a bit too stiff if you drive on really bad roads with significant potholes.
kingsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
isotopesope
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265783
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: monica's taco shop
Vehicle:
2008 wrx
Niner ROS 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Feal View Post
Check out the Feal 441 kit. The 441 kit will soak up all the poor road conditions and remain comfortable while maintaining a very planted feeling. Feel free to send us an email if you have any questions.

GH WRX 441/Max Travel/Road Race spec kits
when are we going to see a Feal FPS option for this chassis? My body is ready.

OP, I'm running Koni's and King standard height springs on my narrow body. The springs are progressive, about 25% stiffer than stock, and lift your car about .5" above stock. perfect for the rough roads and dirt roads I often drive on.

http://get-primitive.com/springs/270...ck-height.html

check out this thread for more info and pictures of standard and lifted height King's installed.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2661183
AcquaCow is running standard King's and Koni's and 18's on his wide body. there's photos of his car in that thread.

also, what is the offset of your 18x8 wheels?
isotopesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
bmxhotsauce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127099
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 IMPERZA WRX
BLACK

Default

get KW V3s. hands down the best for all around driving.
bmxhotsauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
WRX boarder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328399
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
OBP

Default Best Suspension kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
get KW V3s. hands down the best for all around driving.


I got a smoking deal on the kwv3. I believe the rce t2 is the better setup, improved dampening and linear rear spring. I'll be connecting with rice when it's time to rebuild
WRX boarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
13STi_Guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468111
Join Date: May 2017
Default

What is your budget? If you want something that will ride nice with great quality that won't break the bank check out Cygnus Performance X-1 coilovers. If budget is not a concern go with AST 5100's. Most of these other options ride like crap and are for stancing your car on Instagram.
13STi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
isotopesope
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265783
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: monica's taco shop
Vehicle:
2008 wrx
Niner ROS 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13STi_Guy View Post
Most of these other options ride like crap and are for stancing your car on Instagram.
dear stupid, King springs LIFT the car, as can the 441 Max Travel. KW3's are also high quality coilovers. Koni's and STi springs are again a performance oriented setup, that barely lowers a WRX. I'm not knocking Cygnus, but I am knocking your absurdly petulant and misinformed BS.
isotopesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Mike_Feal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462296
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Riverside, CA
Vehicle:
1993 Mazda RX-7
Silver

Default

Inverted struts like the AST 5100's have inherently more friction due to the inverted design, and therefore usually aren't as smooth as a non-inverted monotube design. If OP is just driving the car daily an inverted setup will be overkill, plus more maintenance with the required re-greasing.
Mike_Feal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
intence01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 389409
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
2017 STI
WRB, '15 DGM WRX RIP.

Default

You're saying you're rubbing on stock suspension? What's the offset of your wheels? Maybe you have a blown strut or something, doesn't seem like you should rub on stock suspension with a pretty conservative tire size? Any chance you have any of the 3yr warranty left? I'd have it checked out in that case.

Before you throw coilovers on the car, it might be as simple as a blown shock. Is it always in the front or back? What about if you try to bounce the car up/down from the outside?
intence01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Default

ive run raceomp/bilstein cup kit and racecomp black springs for about 6 years. its a great dd setup. you dont need coilovers on a street car.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
itsawrx351
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 468495
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Good setup
itsawrx351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #14
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Feal View Post
Inverted struts like the AST 5100's have inherently more friction due to the inverted design, and therefore usually aren't as smooth as a non-inverted monotube design. If OP is just driving the car daily an inverted setup will be overkill, plus more maintenance with the required re-greasing.
There is a little more to the story than that. Several factors come into play when you are talking about smoothness and ride quality. The most important things are quality components, quality valving and enough stroke to run a spring rate that is appropriate for your needs. Almost all of AST 5100 parts are machined in house in Holland. They also feature ultra low friction seals. The quality of the components and tolerances are significantly better than the Taiwanese components you are likely comparing them to.

Inverted struts also have two huge advantages that make them worth paying extra for to a lot of people. The first is they are extremely strong and extremely stiff. If you take a hard hit they will be much less likely to have a problem and under normal driving conditions they flex a lot less. If you replace an OEM inverted strut with an aftermarket non-inverted you are putting a significantly weaker part on your car than it came with from the factory. The second advantage is significantly less unsprung weight which means the wheels are able to respond quicker as they go over bumps.

Aside from that AST's provide significantly more travel/stroke than almost any other option for these cars. You can take your pick when it comes to spring rates and you can go as low as 4k which is literally half as stiff as the softest springs you can put on some of these cheap low stroke options.

One final thing to consider - since the OP has a 14 only the fronts would be inverted on 5100's. The rear shocks are traditional non-inverted since the rear is double wishbone. AST 5100's are one of the best riding coilover sets you can buy for these cars. If people here could demo them against 95% of the other options available they would find them to be more smooth not less smooth.

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited by CygnusPerformance; 06-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
kumanchu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146696
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusPerformance View Post
There is a little more to the story than that. Several factors come into play when you are talking about smoothness and ride quality. The most important things are quality components, quality valving and enough stroke to run a spring rate that is appropriate for your needs. Almost all of AST 5100 parts are machined in house in Holland. They also feature ultra low friction seals. The quality of the components and tolerances are significantly better than the Taiwanese components you are likely comparing them to.

Inverted struts also have two huge advantages that make them worth paying extra for to a lot of people. The first is they are extremely strong and extremely stiff. If you take a hard hit they will be much less likely to have a problem and under normal driving conditions they flex a lot less. If you replace an OEM inverted strut with an aftermarket non-inverted you are putting a significantly weaker part on your car than it came with from the factory. The second advantage is significantly less unsprung weight which means the wheels are able to respond quicker as they go over bumps.

Aside from that AST's provide significantly more travel/stroke than almost any other option for these cars. You can take your pick when it comes to spring rates and you can go as low as 4k which is literally half as stiff as the softest springs you can put on some of these cheap low stroke options.

One final thing to consider - since the OP has a 14 only the fronts would be inverted on 5100's. The rear shocks are traditional non-inverted since the rear is double wishbone. AST 5100's are one of the best riding coilover sets you can buy for these cars. If people here could demo them against 95% of the other options available they would find them to be more smooth not less smooth.

Thanks,
Geoff
I sure hope AST has increased their quality control and support since I last owned a set of 5200's (GD chassis). It's arguable that I had a bad set, but the support for these from a well known vendor and their rebuild center were HORRIBLE as well. The very (very very) brief version of my experience in the course of my 3 years of ownership was:
- they failed 3 times
- rebuilt twice
- were driven on less than 14k miles total
- I was accused of storing them in salt water because of how spectacularly they were falling apart while they were in fact on a non-running car in the service lot of a very well respected NASIOC vendor between rebuilds

This was a while ago, so maybe they've cleaned up their act. But I'm never going to support a supplier that is so bad to customers, and won't stand behind their product or work. I'd never recommend them to a friend, and actively support looking at alternatives.

also, for a daily driver monotube >> inverted for a guy asking about a "street" setup.
kumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumanchu View Post
I sure hope AST has increased their quality control and support since I last owned a set of 5200's (GD chassis). It's arguable that I had a bad set, but the support for these from a well known vendor and their rebuild center were HORRIBLE as well. The very (very very) brief version of my experience in the course of my 3 years of ownership was:
- they failed 3 times
- rebuilt twice
- were driven on less than 14k miles total
- I was accused of storing them in salt water because of how spectacularly they were falling apart while they were in fact on a non-running car in the service lot of a very well respected NASIOC vendor between rebuilds

This was a while ago, so maybe they've cleaned up their act. But I'm never going to support a supplier that is so bad to customers, and won't stand behind their product or work. I'd never recommend them to a friend, and actively support looking at alternatives.

also, for a daily driver monotube >> inverted for a guy asking about a "street" setup.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. There are bad dealers out there for every brand. There isn't really enough information here to address what you're saying. They have changed importers a couple of times and I would agree wholeheartedly that there was an importer that did not support the brand properly. I actually stopped selling it during that period. The current importer is committed to the best support possible and that is what I have seen from them.

I don't really understand the monotube is greater than inverted comment. Monotube/twintube and inverted/non-inverted are separate attributes.

Thanks,
Geoff

Edit: Just to add to this it looks like you were not the original owner of these coilovers. Whenever you buy a wear and tear part like coilovers used you don't know the complete history of it. It looks like these are over a decade old and for what it's worth it sounds like the previous owner placed first at SCCA nationals running them. You also seemed to speak very highly of these when you were selling them: "The reason I must sell is because instead of continuing to drive my WRX here, I will be moving to Japan and will need to sell my car in the near future. For those of you guys out there that actually care about how your car handles and don't want to compromise ride quality, this is the setup for you."

Last edited by CygnusPerformance; 06-02-2017 at 02:27 PM.
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
kumanchu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146696
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusPerformance View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. There are bad dealers out there for every brand. There isn't really enough information here to address what you're saying. They have changed importers a couple of times and I would agree wholeheartedly that there was an importer that did not support the brand properly. I actually stopped selling it during that period. The current importer is committed to the best support possible and that is what I have seen from them.

I don't really understand the monotube is greater than inverted comment. Monotube/twintube and inverted/non-inverted are separate attributes.

Thanks,
Geoff

Edit: Just to add to this it looks like you were not the original owner of these coilovers. Whenever you buy a wear and tear part like coilovers used you don't know the complete history of it. It looks like these are over a decade old and for what it's worth it sounds like the previous owner placed first at SCCA nationals running them. You also seemed to speak very highly of these when you were selling them: "The reason I must sell is because instead of continuing to drive my WRX here, I will be moving to Japan and will need to sell my car in the near future. For those of you guys out there that actually care about how your car handles and don't want to compromise ride quality, this is the setup for you."
I wanted to keep it short, but just to be clear: it's true they were used. I never sold the set. it's also true that the struts were rebuilt, new springs, and refreshed camber plates by AST USA. I was thinking of going a different direction, which is why they were posted for sale. It's what happened after they were posted for sale that you see my comments above.

but since you're playing detective, maybe you should look into my other post(s?) about ast.
kumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumanchu View Post
I wanted to keep it short, but just to be clear: it's true they were used. I never sold the set. it's also true that the struts were rebuilt, new springs, and refreshed camber plates by AST USA. I was thinking of going a different direction, which is why they were posted for sale. It's what happened after they were posted for sale that you see my comments above.

but since you're playing detective, maybe you should look into my other post(s?) about ast.
I am still confused. Above you said "The very (very very) brief version of my experience in the course of my 3 years of ownership was" which if I am reading this correctly means you owned them for a total of 3 years. You are now saying that you never sold them, but the thread that I was referencing where you were attempting to sell them is from 2011. It's now 2017. Am I just missing something here? Furthermore you commented "sold!" at the end of your sales thread and locked it. I'm really not doing much detective work here. I simply spent two minutes looking at threads you created.

I'm also still not clear on this monotube being better than inverted stuff since all of the inverted shocks I sell are monotube.

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited by CygnusPerformance; 06-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #19
jayx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362124
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

do you have your fenders rolled?
jayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.