Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday June 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328968
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default P0031 CEL!! Replaced But Now What!!!

2004 WRX 2.0L Turbo
Perrin Intake
Cat-Back Exhaust
Stock Everything Else

So I have the P0031 CEL so I replaced the manifold o2 (Used a Denso one) and I cleared the CEL and when I started the car it came back within seconds and light stayed on for 60+ miles, returned it and got a new one under warranty thinking I may have gotten a dud and did the same procedure and light came back within second and is still there! Now what?!? I've checked other CEL P0031 threads and everyone seems to fix there's with a new one but that's not working for me....Any suggestions or what my next step should be...
TRebelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Charlie-III
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Yes, common fix is replace the sensor, but there could be other issues as well, mostly wiring.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0031

Not sure on your year/model, but some have a heater fuse and/or relay for the heater circuit related to the sensor (different from the interior heater).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yes, common fix is replace the sensor, but there could be other issues as well, mostly wiring.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0031

Not sure on your year/model, but some have a heater fuse and/or relay for the heater circuit related to the sensor (different from the interior heater).

It's a 2004 WRX do you know what fuses or relays to check, I've read somewhere there's a brown relay into a plug behind my glove box I can check that out or even get a replacement just to eliminate it, also are there any fuses on the drivers side and under the hood that cover this? And what are the chances I have a broken wire between the o2 plug and Relay or ECU
Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Anyone know the kind of relay or a part number? And when I check the voltage and resistance of the o2 plug is that with the car on or off
Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Charlie-III
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebelo View Post
Anyone know the kind of relay or a part number? And when I check the voltage and resistance of the o2 plug is that with the car on or off
Voltage is "key on", resistance is "key off".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Voltage is "key on", resistance is "key off".

Thank you, and voltage I should read 12ish? And Resistance? Also which two do I go across to check both resistance and voltage and this is on harness plug side obviously
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

So update...
I checked the front o2 plug (harness side) and I got 10.2v with the key on and for resistance I got 1.5-1.8 across them all does that sound right
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 AM   #8
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

For anyone who needs it as a future reference going to trace the wiring tomorrow or just make a new harness for the front o2
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

So update I checked the brown relay underneath the passenger side cleaned the connections and still nothing I tried taking apart the harness and about 6 inches down from the 4 wire o2 harness side the yellow and red wire was split into two and I stopped there don't know where there both going but I thought it would only be 4 wires all the way thru to wherever it connects
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Sooo update again I ended up replacing the main relay today, so I got a new front a/f sensor in there by Denso and replaced the main relay and check engine still comes on within 10 seconds of starting the car I checked bout 6 inches down from the o2 plug harness side and wires looked fine and then checked at ECU and wires looked fine and checked every fuse under the engine bay and every fuse under driver side and everything was 100% there I don't know what or were else to turn now
Old 03-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #11
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

And I don't know if this matters but when I bought the car it came with Perrin Intake, I have stock manifold stock catted uppipe, stock catted downpipe and the cat right after the downpipe where the 2nd o2 goes in has been removed with just a welded straight pipe but the o2 is installed then off to a cat-back exhaust
Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
TRebelo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Problem Resolved! Ended up being a bad ECU